Teens- did your body develop approximately on time?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 12:04 pm

I ask this because Aspies during adolescence generally develop emotionally later.
I've been Wiki-ing this stuff, and I'm definitely not at 16 emotionally. I'm around 14 at think from what I've read.

Anyways, physically I was pretty early, with a mustache at 11. "Hair" late 12, 13 my voice cracked, when I got to high school, my voice had cracked. 15 I had a beard. That's basically when "typical" adolescents have reached the basic thinking capabilities of adults, but I was *barely* taking anything seriously. I was very childlike compared to most of my classmates, and obviously still am.

But anyways, physically everything's fine.

I'd say females who start after 11 or 12 are late and males after 13 are late. If it's before the 4th grade that's pretty scary too.

BONUS QUESTION:Do you consider yourself physically attractive?

I give me a 7-8 outta 10

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 1:02 pm

I menstruated @ nine (fourth grade), had breasts around then, too.

FYI: Autism being considered a developmental disorder,
the delay in maturation isn't limited to any one period-
it's lifelong, "development" referring to ALL stages of life,
though many of us get better (or worse) at coping with differences from our peers as life progresses.
It varies by sex and the part of the brain we're talking about,
but "adult" formation isn't complete until well into your twenties.

I've, since I can remember had a professorlike intellectual capacity,
coupled with a severely-retarded emotional maturity.
I'm 24, but have the emotional function of a 16 year old, if not much younger.
When I'm in full "shutdown" mode, I partially dissociate into a little girl- my voice and mannerisms change, even.

I think I'm pretty attractive by Western standards- I have clear skin, am not fat (anymore) and have big eyes. I often get mistaken for a teen. That being said, I'm not a "knockout" because there are a lot of beauty rituals I don't take part in.

to his Interest."

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jul 2012, 1:59 pm

Not really, everythings been rather off. Im 15.5 now. First signs of facial hair appeared around 4th grade I think, but hasnt grown much since. "Hair" around the same time. My voice still hasnt really deepened much. Emotionally Im still probably around 12-13 (or earlier) but in terms of intelligence Ive always been many years ahead of my peers (such as reading quantum physics and advanced maths books by the dozen in 1st grade, and having a generally easy time of it).

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

11 Jul 2012, 11:34 pm

I developed a little late, but it's nothing compared to my sister... Recently I've had to do a lot of growing up, because I couldn't even depend on my own father without getting hurt. So as a result, I don't really get caught up in my self-image or confidence. It has simply never mattered to me.

I'm able to attract guys, both my age and older, so I guess I'm at least a 7...?

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 11:18 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I developed a little late, but it's nothing compared to my sister... Recently I've had to do a lot of growing up, because I couldn't even depend on my own father without getting hurt. So as a result, I don't really get caught up in my self-image or confidence. It has simply never mattered to me.

I'm able to attract guys, both my age and older, so I guess I'm at least a 7...?

No offense, but do you think they may just think you're easy?

_DyL_
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2012, 11:40 am

I wouldn't say I developed late physically or emotionally.
I started getting facial hair when I was about 10-11 and body hair not long after that.
I'm currently almost 16 years old and already quite independent so in that aspect I'm "adult like".
However this may have been due to my parents been away for almost 4 months so far this year, leaving me and my sister to look after ourselves.
However, (as with most aspies) my social skills are still far behind that of a NT my age.

I in the past have felt "ugly" though that was more caused by been told I was quite often in primary school... Looking back on photos however, I actually wasn't that bad :roll:
These days, I'm actually quite happy with my looks. :D

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 Jul 2012, 12:31 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:

No offense, but do you think they may just think you're easy?

Nah, they'd get their asses kicked before they even tried. Trust me. ;)

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2012, 4:47 pm

well my body did but my emotions and mind are still developing

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

I've matured physically at a normal rate, if not faster than I should have: I've been 6' 2.5" since I turned 14 and haven't budged since, i've been the same size of shoe for 2 years now, I have a normal amount of hair, etc.

Emotionally, I feel delayed. I can feel attractiveness ("I know what I like"), but i've never felt the urge or even the passing thought to approach anyone. I can take on responsibility and manage myself, but I've had to learn it for my own sakes and often look over it when I shouldn't. I get easily hyper when I hang out with certain crowds and have been known to descend into the behavior of an eccentric 11 year old, and when I get upset I just shun everyone like a pouty little kid. But intelligently I feel slightly ahead of other people my age, because I have an extensive knowledge in stuff like trains, airplanes, military organization, and war history.

Overall, I feel like a giant 12 year old.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

01 Aug 2012, 6:54 pm

I'd say I developed a bit early, because I've always been the tallest girl in my class until sometime in middle school. I also got my period when I was 10. Curse you, hormone-infected milk!

screamingsilently
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2012, 6:22 pm

How exactly do you know what age your think your emotional maturity and such is at? I don't understand.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 7:12 pm

screamingsilently wrote:
How exactly do you know what age your think your emotional maturity and such is at? I don't understand.

Adolescent psych research, friends ages, etc