Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 7:07 pm

I would not be surprised if they finally find 126 different causes for ASDs.
That does not make them UNREAL, just complicated. Which scares proffesionals who must ALWAYS be right, ie. afraid of not looking highly educated.
Unfortunately, Life & the Universe are far more weird, complex than most people realize. You start learning when you admit you do NOT know..
Sadly, doctors seem to hate this very concept. Anything they have trouble understanding does not exist.
A group of symptoms is a syndrome. Asperger's has a set of them, as do all the ASDs. You have to start from there..
Sincerely,
Matthew
PS. Find another psychologist.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 2:12 pm

This thread need more "doctors are duped by salesmen who pretend to be scientists rather than learning from real scientists" videos...

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 3:19 pm

Aspergers doesn't exist? I sometimes wish psychiatrists like that didn't exist; the harm they do is enormous, the human suffering they perpetrate is harmful, invalidation is a psychological and emotional form of harm. Mindf..ker.

SydFurry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2015, 9:55 pm

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
I suspect the Autism Community will hear more of these types of statements made so it had better brace itself.

DSM-V does not list Aspergers as a disorder. This means by NAME and DIAGNOSIS; it is NO LONGER medically recognized OFFICIALLY as a disorder.

I was about to bring this up. Thank you for doing so, TheSunAlsoRises.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 12:43 am

SydFurry wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
I suspect the Autism Community will hear more of these types of statements made so it had better brace itself.

DSM-V does not list Aspergers as a disorder. This means by NAME and DIAGNOSIS; it is NO LONGER medically recognized OFFICIALLY as a disorder.

I was about to bring this up. Thank you for doing so, TheSunAlsoRises.

There has always been a large group of people that has never accepted any form of autism that is not "severe" or "low functioning" as "real autism". This is a necrobumped thread from 2012. There are others who while believing is it real on some level believe a large portion who are diagnosed are doing it to be trendy or are really are just brats who should just grow up. Aspergers became the symbol of this feeling that "not real" autistics were being diagnosed with Aspergers as noted by the people on the DSM 5 workgroup quoted in this article.

I understand there is a difference between thinking it is overdiagnosed and thinking it is not real at all. I also believe that many of these psychs while saying it is over diagnosed really do not believe it is real at all. Also not to be discounted is the role of money. People who think autism is a difference are less likely to pay psychs then those that think it is a horrible burden that needs to be stamped out. Some psychs will cater to and enhance the resentments of those who are paying them. These professionals understand the last 20 years of changed definitions can not be undone all at once. So they are taking a strategic approach and are just saying it is overdiagnosed to gradually erode the idea of non-severe autism and divide the Autism community. If their intent was to divide they have been wildly successful turning "warrior moms" against the "if you can speak you are not autistic" adults and visa versa. I do not need to rehash the divisions over overdiagnoses here at WP. And of course Aspergers is gone (ahem subsumed) in the DSM 5.

It would not surprise me if we see an increase in autistics being diagnosed with various fictitious disorders.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2015, 8:04 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
bizboy1 wrote:
That's what my psychiatrist said today when I asked him if he thinks I have Asperger's. He said there were like 126 different genotypes for it and basically said he doesn't believe in it. I've been diagnosed but I'm not sure if I have it. I'm having a hard time dealing with my anxiety already and feel even more confused about Asperger's. Should I be offended by this? What do you guys think? Is he right? Is Asperger's just an amalgamation of different diagnoses? I'm not extreme by any means. I probably had very mild Asperger's before I got my panic disorder. Now it's probably mild or moderate.

Now, people in the community can refer to themselves any way they wish.

Keep this in mind.

TheSunAlsoRises

While I understand that the diagnosis change confuses some, it should be unacceptable for a licensed mental health professional to be confused about it. Also, from the way OP describes it, I don't actually think that's what's happening in this case. It seems like this doctor probably never recognized it as a legitimate diagnosis, even prior to the DSMV changes.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 8:29 am

The manner in which I view "social-impairment" is more of a "lack-of-experience" or "lack-of-training" than it is to do with any so-called "medical" condition.

gamerdad wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
bizboy1 wrote:
That's what my psychiatrist said today when I asked him if he thinks I have Asperger's. He said there were like 126 different genotypes for it and basically said he doesn't believe in it. I've been diagnosed but I'm not sure if I have it. I'm having a hard time dealing with my anxiety already and feel even more confused about Asperger's. Should I be offended by this? What do you guys think? Is he right? Is Asperger's just an amalgamation of different diagnoses? I'm not extreme by any means. I probably had very mild Asperger's before I got my panic disorder. Now it's probably mild or moderate.

Now, people in the community can refer to themselves any way they wish.

Keep this in mind.

TheSunAlsoRises

While I understand that the diagnosis change confuses some, it should be unacceptable for a licensed mental health professional to be confused about it. Also, from the way OP describes it, I don't actually think that's what's happening in this case. It seems like this doctor probably never recognized it as a legitimate diagnosis, even prior to the DSMV changes.

Person who has never swam before in their life is obviously going to have trouble swimming if you just grab them and toss them into the deep-end of a pool, but with some practice, and experience, and perhaps training, they should no longer have a "swimming impairment" due to developing the skill of how to interact with the waters.

Chris71186
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 May 2015, 9:53 am

bizboy1 wrote:

I think you should get a different doctor. There's still a minority group out there that think the Aspergers diagnosis is a result "pop psychology" or people "making up illnesses to gain fame". These people are not friends to ASD people, no good can come from anyone who believes that garbage.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 10:01 am

:?

Chris71186 wrote:
bizboy1 wrote:

I think you should get a different doctor. There's still a minority group out there that think the Aspergers diagnosis is a result "pop psychology" or people "making up illnesses to gain fame". These people are not friends to ASD people, no good can come from anyone who believes that garbage.

This is a three year-old thread. It's unclear why ban-dodger felt the need to necrobump it with a seemingly irrelevant video link... but it's unlikely the OP is still looking for advice about responding to the situation.

Chris71186

26 May 2015, 10:07 am

Adamantium wrote:
Chris71186 wrote:
bizboy1 wrote:

This is a three year-old thread. It's unclear why ban-dodger felt the need to necrobump it with a seemingly irrelevant video link... but it's unlikely the OP is still looking for advice about responding to the situation.

I wasn't aware of the date :) I apologize :)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 10:13 am

Chris71186 wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
Chris71186 wrote:
bizboy1 wrote:

I wasn't aware of the date :) I apologize :)

It's an easy mistake to make when someone necroposts like this. I have done it many times, genuinely wanting to help the OP, only to discover that it's all in the past now.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 10:26 am

bizboy1 wrote:

If there are actually 126 genotypes that are all put under 1 single word, wherein the single word is a poor description of the phenotype (behaviour) of the person, then I would say that that is a bad definition. An alternate way of saying that could be saying it doesn't exist.
The psychiatrist, if you accurately described what they said, is not saying you are lying or you do not have problems. Rather the psychiatrist would rather assess your problems from the level of your individuality rather than start by looking at them with 'this person has asperger's'.

I think it's actually quite short-sighted of a psychiatrist to think of something as a genotype rather than a phenotype though. Like, ridiculously so. People do not know genotypes of most things, mental or physical, and most of the things that we know as having genotypes now have only been discovered in what, 20-30 years? Medicine has been based off of phenotypical determination basically it's entire existence. Your psychiatrist, upon learning that there are multiple genotypes for a thing and then saying it doesn't exist, is following a fallacious perspective that genotype is the only way a thing should be defined. Ridiculous.

Poor motivation

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 12:28 pm

Chris71186 wrote:
There's still a minority group out there that think the Aspergers diagnosis is a result "pop psychology" or people "making up illnesses to gain fame". These people are not friends to ASD people, no good can come from anyone who believes that garbage.

While this is a necrobumped 3 year thread we get at least one or more posts in a similar vain mostly every day making me think it is either a majority or a substantial minority of professionals who think this way. The damage has been incalculable.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 1:26 pm

Wow I am glad I spent the last 30 minutes typing well thought out posts to this necro-thread before realizing what it was. Also to the necromancer: Why?

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 1:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Wow I am glad I spent the last 30 minutes typing well thought out posts to this necro-thread before realizing what it was. Also to the necromancer: Why?

Well, let's hope it helps answer someone else's questions :)

Chris71186

26 May 2015, 2:05 pm

iliketrees wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well, let's hope it helps answer someone else's questions :)

that's kind of what I'm thinking. No matter how old the thread, I'm sure someone out there has similar concerns.