Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 6:53 am

Personally I think psychiatrists are only good to prescribe drugs, and psychologists are useless. We had a couple of those and none worked. My daughter was diagnosed by a neurologist and is treated by a therapist.

I do not think you should be offended, but certainly that is not the right person for you. Someone who says a very well documented syndrome does not exist should not be attending patients. His license should be removed. And no, he is not right. But yes, a person with AS shows signs of having different diagnoses, that's why getting the right diagnosis is so difficult. But funny thing, if you get treatment for one of the diagnosis, but not for AS, it does not work. Being there. My husband and daughter are both very mild as well, and I can tell you the therapy has done wonders for her. A therapist could maybe work wonders for you, too.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:24 am

A collection of symptoms as in schizophrenia or ADHD - that's what I'm most inclined to believe as well.

Nevertheless, of course "Asperger's" exists because it describes a disorder based on certain behaviours/impairments and these are real - not pretended for fun or imagined out of boredom. People with that set of abnormal behaviours and impairments tend to benefit from certain treatments for having in common certain ("special") needs which is why besides their similarities in behaviours and deficits putting them under a common diagnosis makes sense.

I wouldn't know about others who in their daily lives experience eerily similar struggles (and ideas about ways to help manage those) if my diagnosis would be called Sora's syndrome instead of it being called an ASD.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:38 am

Well unless your psychiatrist meant that aspergers is just a form of autism and not some separate disorder, I'd question his credentials. Aspergers does exist but it's really just a form of autism and even the new DSM will reflect that. But if he meant autism in general does not exist then that would be questionable especially for a psychiatrist to say.

Projectile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2012, 8:51 am

It is what it is, and since it is and we are talking about it, it must exist.

In my limited knowledge, having done a fairly obsessive and extensive amount of research over the past few weeks I have found that many Aspies and people with knowlege of the condition, including my case worker, suggest that you see a Psychologist rather than a Psychiatrist if you are in the public sector and a Psychiatrist if you are in the private sector. That seems to be the consensus.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:57 am

Projectile wrote:
It is what it is, and since it is and we are talking about it, it must exist.

In my limited knowledge, having done a fairly obsessive and extensive amount of research over the past few weeks I have found that many Aspies and people with knowlege of the condition, including my case worker, suggest that you see a Psychologist rather than a Psychiatrist if you are in the public sector and a Psychiatrist if you are in the private sector. That seems to be the consensus.

Why is that though? did your case worker say?

anomy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2012, 9:51 am

This guy seems to be working against you, not with you. I would drop him like a hot potato!

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 10:02 am

Oh, no wonder I'm such a nobody!! ! :lol:

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 10:05 am

bizboy1 wrote:
That's what my psychiatrist said today when I asked him if he thinks I have Asperger's. He said there were like 126 different genotypes for it and basically said he doesn't believe in it. I've been diagnosed but I'm not sure if I have it. I'm having a hard time dealing with my anxiety already and feel even more confused about Asperger's. Should I be offended by this? What do you guys think? Is he right? Is Asperger's just an amalgamation of different diagnoses? I'm not extreme by any means. I probably had very mild Asperger's before I got my panic disorder. Now it's probably mild or moderate.

I suspect the Autism Community will hear more of these types of statements made so it had better brace itself.

DSM-V does not list Aspergers as a disorder. This means by NAME and DIAGNOSIS; it is NO LONGER medically recognized OFFICIALLY as a disorder.

Now, people in the community can refer to themselves any way they wish.

Keep this in mind.

TheSunAlsoRises

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2012, 10:08 am

Hey, I have that same Rugby shirt! :-)
I like the stripes.

Try and remember that you're not some vagrant with your hat in your hand begging for more gruel.
You're a customer. You can fire the guy. It's not advisable to do that for disorders, because you have to accept, at a certain point, that you have an objective and studied person examining you. But, if you went to an emergency care facility with a broken leg and the Dr. said "I don't believe in broken bones.", you'd probably zip right out of there and find another physician.

Do so with this guy.

There are directories that list mental health professionals in your area who specialize in Asperger's, or at least have experience with it. Find someone who understands it and contact them.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 10:25 am

Asperger's actually doesn't exist. DSM-IV Asperger Syndrome is impossible to diagnose, because it excludes anyone meeting criteria for autism but cribbed its own criteria from autism so much that anyone who met criteria for AS really has autism. And of course DSM-V is getting rid of the category altogether.

High functioning autism, on the other hand, definitely does exist.

We will probably end up finding out that a gazillion different causes account for the autistic spectrum, just as we have with mental retardation. But mental retardation is still a valid diagnosis, in that it indicates a population which shares certain characteristics and needs asssistance related to those characteristics. (In particular, learning more slowly and having poor adaptive functioning.) Autism is the same way - whatever the cause, you know someone on the spectrum is likely to have poor social communication and some form of repetitive behavior, and are likely to need assistance with social interaction and possibly adaptive functioning as well.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 10:28 am

Asperger's will exist in ICD-10 atleast until 2015, don't worry :)

whydoyouask
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2012, 10:44 am

I kinda agree. I agree it's almost impossable to define aspergers because every person usually has there own degree of it. Also that some people can be very weird. But I also think that out of those many types of aspergers that a few of them are true aspergers.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 11:12 am

http://www.aapc.com/icd-10/faq.aspx#why

The ICD is a more commonly used guide in the UK and Europe. ICD-10 implementation in the United States will occur in 2014.

This is the reason it was imperative for the DSM-V committee to remove the category of Aspergers Syndrome and have an operational Autism Spectrum Disorder severity scale in place, as soon as possible.

I'm sure THAT any disputes or inconsistencies between ICD-10 and DSM-V will be discussed.

Below is an old press release: an example of what could occur.

http://www.researchautism.net/pages/abo ... e_20101102

TheSunAlsoRises

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 11:49 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
http://www.aapc.com/icd-10/faq.aspx#why
ICD-10 implementation in the United States will occur in 2014.

I read somewhere that ICD-10 wouldn't be updated until 2015, but I don't remember the source and since you had a source, and it said October 1, 2014 ... I will accept it, it's soo darn close anyways :D

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2012, 10:10 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if that bit about 126 genotypes being involved is true.

If you look at the symptomology and really think about it at a certain level of "weirdness" or "deviation from the norm" you are on the autistic spectrum, period. It doesn't matter which cognitive difference you are talking about. Socializing is so complex there is not a single cognitive ability that does not factor in in some way. And on top of that even having more of an ability will make it harder, because your abilities will in turn determine what you are able to process and comprehend and so determine your interests. If your interests are atypical enough people will say you like something too intensely or that because you aren't interested in something that your interests are too narrow.

As for non-functional routines, it's not like everything NTs do on a regular basis is to perform some function. It's just that when it's something fairly "normal" then they're just having "fun". Anyone whose idea of "fun" is atypical enough could fit that symptom.

It comes down to general difference. If curebies have there way then they will reset the goal post and the people who would've missed the diagnosis of autistic spectrum disorder but would've been seen as somewhat "odd" anyways would then fit the diagnostic criteria and the cycle could repeat itself until everyone is exactly the same.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Jul 2012, 5:26 pm

My suggestion is to find a psychiatrist who specializes in developmental disorders.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute