Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2012, 10:17 pm

So, I work with autistic people and do in-home therapy. All families want me to punish their child in a different way. Some families feel it's necessary to put a child on a time out after they are aggressive, while other families will physically want me to stop them from whining by physically shutting their mouth, for example.

My philosophy is the less I touch the person the better. I don't want to hurt them, but I feel like some of the families expect me to do things I feel uncomfortable doing. Though I enjoy my job for the most part, I just don't know what to do... I'm only part time and new there, so it's hard for me to stop going to certain families. I can tell some families like me more than others, and I'm a bit afraid some will not want me there anymore, especially the families that expect me to punish their child in a harsher way.

Any advice?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 12:13 am

Ria1989 wrote:
So, I work with autistic people and do in-home therapy. All families want me to punish their child in a different way. Some families feel it's necessary to put a child on a time out after they are aggressive, while other families will physically want me to stop them from whining by physically shutting their mouth, for example.

My philosophy is the less I touch the person the better. I don't want to hurt them, but I feel like some of the families expect me to do things I feel uncomfortable doing. Though I enjoy my job for the most part, I just don't know what to do... I'm only part time and new there, so it's hard for me to stop going to certain families. I can tell some families like me more than others, and I'm a bit afraid some will not want me there anymore, especially the families that expect me to punish their child in a harsher way.

Any advice?

Well I advise you not to use force to close a childs mouth if they are expressing discomfort or distress of some sort... I mean maybe to the intolarant people around it's whining but to them it's a serious concern....So I would stop that and question why a parent would want you to do that. Time out for getting too agressive isn't all bad however.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 7:46 am

I can understand the time out thing and do think it's fair enough. Sometimes, the child needs some time out to calm down.

Physically closing the childs' mouth is a no-no.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 7:54 am

When I was a kid it was bad enough getting yelled at for 'whining' when I was actually expressing what to me felt like real worries and concerns or discomfort due to sensory issues. But I cannot even imagine if I constantly had my mouth forced closed and was otherwise prevented from expressing anything that is rather unusual and cruel.

I mean If I was watching a child and the parent told me to do that, I'd be concerned and start looking for other signs of abuse and report it.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 8:21 am

Do you have a background in Autism Studies or any sort of psychology?

I'm thinking if you do, you can try to make a teaching moment for the parents.

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2012, 5:52 pm

[quote="thewhitrbbit"]Do you have a background in Autism Studies or any sort of psychology?

I'm thinking if you do, you can try to make a teaching moment for the parents.[/]

Totally agree with this!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! One, I majored in psychology and minored in human development, so I'm well aware of what it means and the long-term effects. Two, I have mentally and physically handicapped people in my family, and no one has ever done that to them (to my knowledge). I can't imagine doing that to the kid. The family and my boss actually trained me longer with this kid because I was TOO SWEET! This kid, in particular, is the least aggressive autistic I've worked with, which makes it that much harder to be mean to the kid.

This is where it gets really bad... the kid's mom works with autistic kids in school. I can't argue with someone who "knows" more... my only option is to leave at this point.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 6:02 pm

The law makes no distinction between NT humans and autistic sub-humans so why do people seem to see it as acceptable to treat vulnerable children in their care in a way that would be classed as physical abuse if done to an NT human child?

Why is it that when a mother murders her vulnerable autistic child all the sympathy is for the mother and none goes to the child?

That is a human being you are working with, an especially vulnerable, terrified and confused little human being.

Please bear that in mind.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 7:41 pm

DC wrote:
That is a human being you are working with, an especially vulnerable, terrified and confused little human being.

Please bear that in mind.

Exactly, as individuals under the spectrum we go through enough doses of abuse when exposed to the real world, home should be a refuge. I can only imagine how horrible I would feel in that situation. It is bad enough as an adult, a child has even less options to feel safe.

Gnonymouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2012, 7:47 am

Ria1989 wrote:
Any advice?

Don't let anyone convince you to do something you think is unethical or ineffective. Maybe the families don't know any other way. Surely with your experience you can tell them how to handle punish misbehavior in the best way.

davebehave
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jul 2012, 1:48 pm

You really need to play some soothing music, something like halpern on a stereo.

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2012, 5:42 pm

Gnonymouse wrote:
Ria1989 wrote:
Any advice?

Don't let anyone convince you to do something you think is unethical or ineffective. Maybe the families don't know any other way. Surely with your experience you can tell them how to handle punish misbehavior in the best way.

I hope so... I really don't want to go against what I believe in to keep a job.