Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 5:28 pm

TallyMan wrote:
40djbrooks wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
The computer isn't too bad spec. It has 1GB ram. I don't have problems with any other software; besides, like I say it looks like Chrome had gone rogue for unknown reasons.

You still on dial up?

I live in rural France in a valley surrounded by endless fields of maize and oak forests. Technology hasn't reached us yet! :lol: On the plus site there is lots of wildlife around and it is very peaceful and tranquil here. The most noise we get is maybe a tractor driving past the end of the lane once a week!

I remember that (for people like you) they came up with the "shotgun" modem, two 56k modems on a single card that will use a pair of phone lines to double your speed.
Of course, now wireless internet is almost everywhere...

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 7:36 pm

BlueMax wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
40djbrooks wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
The computer isn't too bad spec. It has 1GB ram. I don't have problems with any other software; besides, like I say it looks like Chrome had gone rogue for unknown reasons.

You still on dial up?

I live in rural France in a valley surrounded by endless fields of maize and oak forests. Technology hasn't reached us yet! :lol: On the plus site there is lots of wildlife around and it is very peaceful and tranquil here. The most noise we get is maybe a tractor driving past the end of the lane once a week!

I remember that (for people like you) they came up with the "shotgun" modem, two 56k modems on a single card that will use a pair of phone lines to double your speed.
Of course, now wireless internet is almost everywhere...

100kbps isn't terribly helpful these days. I looked at buying a house in rural Mexico a couple years ago and they used a microwave receiver to connect to a "sort-of" high speed connection several km away. I believe the speed was 768kbps. Even that isn't good these days, but at least it's serviceable. If I had bought the house I would have found a way to get something faster.

I have a friend in rural Virginia who ended up just getting a T1 line, 90s style, it was an idea I threw out when we were joking around that turned out to actually be the best option. I think I recommended that solution to someone else on here too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 8:50 pm

TallyMan wrote:
40djbrooks wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

You still on dial up?

that peace would be worth the tech backwardness. it reminds me of the old tv series "green acres." just a thought- is there satellite coverage out where you live? maybe you could get satellite internet?

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 9:17 pm

I only recently switched to (back to) chrome because Firefox had become incompatible with Flash player and one of the main things I do online is watch Youtube videos (which it could no longer support).

I have noticed Chrome takes up a lot of resources though. It's like every tab is listed as a separate instance of the program.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 10:47 pm

Pyrite wrote:
I only recently switched to (back to) chrome because Firefox had become incompatible with Flash player and one of the main things I do online is watch Youtube videos (which it could no longer support).

I have noticed Chrome takes up a lot of resources though. It's like every tab is listed as a separate instance of the program.

How about the very latest version of IE? Has it improved enough to be viable?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 12:27 am

IE is very nearly as much of a resource hog as chrome. i have it and it runs adequately only on non-celeron systems with at least 4g of fast RAM. anything less and your computer will just be a hot paperweight.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 1:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:
IE is very nearly as much of a resource hog as chrome. i have it and it runs adequately only on non-celeron systems with at least 4g of fast RAM. anything less and your computer will just be a hot paperweight.

I understand Intel was still producing chips with the Celeron name as of last year, although I don't recall seeing one in the past decade.

2GB will actually get the job done reasonably well these days, even though that was a standard configuration about 5 years ago.

Most people complaining about things like this are running ten year old computers and really have nothing to complain about.

Jasmine90
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2012, 9:16 pm

I've found chrome to be the best while on dial-up, it's pretty quick, pages usually load instantly.

This computer also only has less than 500mb's of RAM, and don't find it hogs too much memory.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 9:26 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I understand Intel was still producing chips with the Celeron name as of last year, although I don't recall seeing one in the past decade. 2GB will actually get the job done reasonably well these days, even though that was a standard configuration about 5 years ago. Most people complaining about things like this are running ten year old computers and really have nothing to complain about.

that strikes me as a classist comment [IOW middle class looking down their noses on poor folk who can't afford brand spanking new latest greatest puters]. in any case, 2GB [effectively less than that, as it was shared with the video] on my 2 year old compaq celeron laptop was NOT adequate, IOW i'd have to wait several minutes sometimes before the computer would decide to display the webpage or just crash. this celeron puter is STILL sold at walmart, though they cut the price a bit.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 2:03 am

If a 2 year old computer with 2GB is inadequate, something is wrong with your computer, or you have spyware/plugins.

I don't mean it as classist, if you're going to use a ten year old computer, you have to be willing to stick mostly to software nearly that old.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 2:24 am

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
If a 2 year old computer with 2GB is inadequate, something is wrong with your computer, or you have spyware/plugins.

I don't mean it as classist, if you're going to use a ten year old computer, you have to be willing to stick mostly to software nearly that old.

the combo of running antivirus/antispyware programs in the background, and always having to fend off nasties, was too much for its little processor and little slow memory. once i unplugged it from the phone line, turned off the antivirus/malware thingie and did other things than websurfing/email, it speeded up.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 2:31 am

auntblabby wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

the combo of running antivirus/antispyware programs in the background, and always having to fend off nasties, was too much for its little processor and little slow memory. once i unplugged it from the phone line, turned off the antivirus/malware thingie and did other things than websurfing/email, it speeded up.

Dunno what to tell you. I haven't seen any machines from the last 5 years that behave as badly as you described.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 7:18 am

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

Dunno what to tell you. I haven't seen any machines from the last 5 years that behave as badly as you described.

it all started when websites got all complicated with java this and that, and virulent spyware which taxed a weak processor with inadequate memory. first, my 98se puter stopped responding when i tried to get online, then i used an old xp sp1 laptop computer [p4/512 RAM], which lasted a few months until the various aforementioned resource taxers took their toll and it stopped responding [the antivirus/antimalware norton program took all its resources]- so i upgraded to a cheapo walmart celeron windows 7 1ghz w<2gb shared system RAM, which was slow from the start but at least it would [after a minute or so of waiting] load web pages, until it too just stopped responding online, running notably hot to the touch, and with its hands full with the antimalware defenses. it is just online that these earlier puters fell down, they continue to work passably for non-online tasks such as audio restoration and photo editing and such. i had no idea that doing anything online would be the toughest task for today's puters. :o in the best buy puter store i played with various windows 7 puters that were hooked up to their fast digital line, and i noticed that all the weaker puters lagged/froze on webpages similar to my celeron, at least until i got to the multicore puters with 4+GB fast RAM which were a lot better, but they all cost 2-3 times as much as the economy jobs. i wish i'd shopped there [instead of wallyworld, where none of their display puters are hooked up to anything] when i got my celeron, so i woulda been able to see how slow the cheaper puters would be and then just decided to do without, using the library puter instead. i asked the best buy guy why do they display the weak puters in the first place, and he told me that would encourage people to spend more money but that some dumb pofolk like me would insist on learning the hard way. at least the bastard was honest. :roll:

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 12:12 pm

So you probably have a bunch of spyware and crap. There's no other reason your computers would behave like that. I've never owned a computer that behaved like you're describing. When you complain about JavaScript being part of web pages, and call it "Java", just to let you know, that *really* makes you sound like a fogey. The sites people use the most today wouldn't be possible at all without JS.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 8:23 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
So you probably have a bunch of spyware and crap. There's no other reason your computers would behave like that. I've never owned a computer that behaved like you're describing. When you complain about JavaScript being part of web pages, and call it "Java", just to let you know, that *really* makes you sound like a fogey. The sites people use the most today wouldn't be possible at all without JS.

all that antibug stuff told me i was totally malware-free. and i am a fogey because i totally lack the techie genes. i only know just enough about puters to do what little bit i do with 'em. i never claimed to be otherwise. but i detest folks that look down their noses at me just because i'm not a techlord like they are.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 12:48 am

auntblabby wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

all that antibug stuff told me i was totally malware-free. and i am a fogey because i totally lack the techie genes. i only know just enough about puters to do what little bit i do with 'em. i never claimed to be otherwise. but i detest folks that look down their noses at me just because i'm not a techlord like they are.

Then try to avoid passing judgement when you don't understand root cause