Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 5:23 am

While it seems to work OK, it is a resource hog. I've had yet another warning this morning that it had taken around 400 MB memory, leaking like a sieve, the memory usage continuing to slip upwards all the time. It sits there taking nearly 100% CPU even after I've finished browsing (when there is zero modem activity). It permanently says the update server isn't working. Error 1. Time for an un-install. Not impressed. I'll stick with Firefox.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 7:36 am

why, in your estimation, is it behaving like that?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:10 am

I've no idea. The only website I've been using Chrome for is WP but despite the many bugs in the site I can't really hold WP responsible for Chrome malfunctioning. Anyway, Chrome is gone from my computer now.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:13 am

What type of modem (DSL, cable, dial up)? Chrome seems to do a fair amount in the background Does your PC need more RAM? I don't blink at a process with a 400M working set.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:35 am

It is only dial-up here in rural France. The issue was that it kept clocking at 100% CPU after pages had loaded and there was no longer anything at all coming down the wire. Looks like Chrome had got stuck in some sort of memory leaking loop. It isn't the first time its happened. Anyway, Chrome is uninstalled now.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:39 am

Good choice. I don't think chrome is designed around dial up use or PCs with limited RAM.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:51 am

The computer isn't too bad spec. It has 1GB ram. I don't have problems with any other software; besides, like I say it looks like Chrome had gone rogue for unknown reasons.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:57 am

I have about 850M in use with chrome at the moment across 11 processes. I also have a 25M up and down internet connection. Chrome is perfectly usable for me except for the occasional crash. Although, 4 of the processes are taking between 12-17% of my CPU each. I also happen to have 3 tabs on wrong planet open.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 11:42 am

I encourage you to file a bug with Google. In my experience they were too busy to deal with it until a year later when thousands of people had reported the same issue (which to me was glaring). But this was early in development when Chrome had all sorts of "minor" problems.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 12:07 pm

I've noticed the same memory usage from Chrome myself, on both Windows and *nix. This is either a well known bug with Chrome, or it was intentionally designed to keep hold pages in volatile memory to improve speed performance. --Personally I dislike Chrome and much prefer to use Opera.

beers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2012, 2:02 pm

It's something about this site, within task manager on my hexcore I'm sitting at ~38-40% utilization. Once I close the WP tab it drops to 1-2%.

You may consider additional RAM as 1 GB has long been surpassed as a comfortable amount.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2012, 9:43 pm

Yeah Chrome is pretty bad when it comes to resource usage. I once did a side by side test of Firefox and Chrome. Chrome was using double the amount of RAM that Firefox was using whilst having the exact same pages open as Firefox did. I would recommend making a change to Firefox, out of all the big name web browsers it uses the least amount of resources. Besides Chrome also seems to have vulnerability after vulnerability, it always seems to be getting updated.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 2:34 am

lxuser wrote:
Yeah Chrome is pretty bad when it comes to resource usage. I once did a side by side test of Firefox and Chrome. Chrome was using double the amount of RAM that Firefox was using whilst having the exact same pages open as Firefox did. I would recommend making a change to Firefox, out of all the big name web browsers it uses the least amount of resources. Besides Chrome also seems to have vulnerability after vulnerability, it always seems to be getting updated.

Someone mentioned once that disabling phishing/malware protection significantly reduces the resource overhead of Chrome. I don't know if that is still true.

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2012, 1:50 pm

TallyMan wrote:
The computer isn't too bad spec. It has 1GB ram. I don't have problems with any other software; besides, like I say it looks like Chrome had gone rogue for unknown reasons.

You still on dial up?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:43 pm

40djbrooks wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

You still on dial up?

I live in rural France in a valley surrounded by endless fields of maize and oak forests. Technology hasn't reached us yet! :lol: On the plus site there is lots of wildlife around and it is very peaceful and tranquil here. The most noise we get is maybe a tractor driving past the end of the lane once a week!

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 5:28 pm

TallyMan wrote:
40djbrooks wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

You still on dial up?

I live in rural France in a valley surrounded by endless fields of maize and oak forests. Technology hasn't reached us yet! :lol: On the plus site there is lots of wildlife around and it is very peaceful and tranquil here. The most noise we get is maybe a tractor driving past the end of the lane once a week!

I remember that (for people like you) they came up with the "shotgun" modem, two 56k modems on a single card that will use a pair of phone lines to double your speed.
Of course, now wireless internet is almost everywhere...