Occasional difficulty getting thoughts out

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 9:26 am

I have difficulty with getting my thoughts into words verbally many times, but every now and then I have difficulty getting my thoughts into writing.

Usually I'm great at it though (graduated university last spring with 3.8gpa with a degree that required a lot of writing), and the words flow fast and easy as I write, but sometimes (like today) I just can't get words for what I'm trying to say. I have the concepts in my head, fully thought out, and I know exactly what I'm thinking of, but I can't get it into words. I keep forgetting that I'm writing, as well, and I just go deep into thought and all that. Stimming, as well. It took me about an hour to write this post, for example, which is absurd for me.

Do any of you normally have good writing skills, but then occasionally have difficulty getting your thoughts out in writing?

gillyhl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2012, 9:34 am

I have that problem a lot of the time.When in my thoughts I can think exactly what to say in a situation but when it comes to implementing it and actually speaking, I can't get it out. It's ruddy annoying!

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 9:36 am

This happens to me, too.

I just don't bother pressing the submit button if it happens on here, for example.

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jul 2012, 9:56 am

Yeah.
I have trouble with fiction. I tend to drift off and spend a lot of time in my head or stimming.
Non fiction isn't so bad because I have a set of exercises I use to warm up and keep myself moving. I think that maybe the part of my brain that deals with fiction is just not connected as well.
I do write some great fiction pieces (published, awards given, etc). It just takes longer.
Anyway, I empathize. Totally normal for me.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 10:45 am

I always eggspend a lot of effort writing, and it is never easy to put idears into words. Writing is a process of translation for me, usually from pictures, videos, and sensations into words. I only discovered writing as a way to spontaneously communicate and represent my thoughts a couple of years ago. Before that, I only wrote sh***y English essays and science papers and nothing creative or interesting. Now, I really enjoying writing, particularly fiction, where I can use idiosyncratic language to eggspress a large scope of eggsperiences. For non-fiction, I prefer to convey information in picture stories. In picture stories, I draw the pictures of my thoughts in pictures, then write a description of the picture as a verbal aide for others to understand my communications.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 11:03 am

Yes. Most of the time I can talk (or write) the hind legs off a donkey, and I like to think thart most of it is articulate, perceptive, and relatively original. But every so often, words just don't feel good and I have nothing to say. Don't know what makes that happen. Probably fatigue. Even when I'm not talking or writing, I'm almost constantly translating my ideas into words in my mind, or talking to myself, so although I may seem quiet from the outside, the only time I normally shut up is when I'm asleep.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 4:37 pm

Yes I have this too. Most of the time I'm way too verbal but when I'm having an emotionally overwhelming moment, I often cannot find the word or speak in complete sentences. Also, when I've had a sensory overload day my word retrieval kind of slows down making all king of verbal comunication difficult.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 4:52 pm

Well, I do not think that my writings skills are "good" usually but I do experience bouts of a type of mental "wordless-ness". During these, I cannot seem to hold onto the words that are otherwise easily translatable (from mental imagery to written language). It's as if they slip away before my thoughts caught up with them and I end up stimming too or even more distractable and hyperactive/on-the-go than normally.

Shroomy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2012, 8:34 am

I always have trouble getting my thoughts out verbally.

I'm usually OK with writing and thinking a sentence but it does take me about 2 hours to write a single email or facebook message, because I try to read it over and over from the other person's point of view, and correct it until it sounds right. But maybe that's just me being obsessive.

I never post here without clicking preview first.

gillyhl wrote:
I have that problem a lot of the time.When in my thoughts I can think exactly what to say in a situation but when it comes to implementing it and actually speaking, I can't get it out. It's ruddy annoying!

Yup, this sounds like me too.