Is over analyzing things or reading into things part of AS?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Michellen2008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jul 2012, 6:26 pm

Ok I tend to read into things when my anxiety is up or think something meant this or that when it didn't. I been told when I was 16 I had aspergers ADHD bipolar and anxiety. Is this part of my anxiety or aspergers? I tend to take things the wrong way or think something totally different of a situation and people have told me I'm taking things the wrong way calm down and "stop over analyzing things". I don't exactly know what this means but is it part of AS or anxiety? I'm a bit confused what it means. Thanks.

Michelle

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 6:28 pm

I over analyze everything

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jul 2012, 6:29 pm

It could be part of both. I don't think it's particularly important to know the cause...personally I do the same, I over-think things to death, so much so that my head hurts. I hate it and it seems to be a trait that I can't shake.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 6:31 pm

Sounds like me. I find it useful in some situations though.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 6:45 pm

I do it too, it's a nightmare, but as the above poster has said; it can be very useful.

Sometimes you can see deeper than others, see things that others can't.

Sometimes you can see what is going to happen.

SDAsp
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2012, 7:08 pm

I overthink things that shouldn't be and underthink things that should. Confused, anyone? If so, you probably overthought it... Haha

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 7:12 pm

I love to over analyze.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 7:41 pm

Yep, I over-analyze all the time. Sometimes it's problematic, because I'll dwell on something that's bothering me and end up shutting down for a while. Other times, it's a useful personality trait, because some good ideas can come from it.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 7:58 pm

I over analyze things a lot too. Even if someone makes a small comment that is actually of no consequence, for a long time I'll think of all the possible implications that that comment could have.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 8:24 pm

My wife hates this about me. Anytime she asks me a question, there's always other variables to consider before I can answer.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Michellen2008

18 Jul 2012, 8:50 pm

Aharon wrote:
My wife hates this about me. Anytime she asks me a question, there's always other variables to consider before I can answer.

Lol... Yep this is where I'm having the problem with a relationship with a guy. He will try to calm me down and say "no I meant this" or "no I didn't mean it that way" but my mind is so racing and I just am focused on saying what I need to before losing my train of thought, I cut him off and interrupt nonstop and by the end of the conversation, he is frustrated with me. How do I shut my mind off and let him talk without upsetting him? He tries so hard to have patience with me and explain things or words I don't understand. Any advice? Anyone else been in this situation? By the time he explains something, my view is totally way out there and I have by that time, feel bad and apologize to him if I said any angry words from a misunderstanding to what is said. I get confused a lot on what people say. Am I the only one like this? Thinking "huh?" all the time. I sometimes feel stupid at times, though in very smart academically, I fail miserable with comprehending or understanding what people say to me. I feel like im always clueless. :(

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 9:22 pm

Definitely. The will to funnel the world's chaos into a tidy metanarrative is pretty symtomatic.

EQ: 6.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jul 2012, 9:33 pm

It could be part of both AS and anxiety.

I think that not only do a lot of us over analyze, but we load hidden meaning into our own words. You can see evidence of this on WP. A lot of people go off on certain posts, and they seem to be thinking stuff is there that isn't. Also, I find myself MEANING a lot of things in my words that others do not pick up on.

So, you can read too much into a innocent statement. And you might be expecting others to pick up on something you think is obvious but it's invisible to others.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jul 2012, 9:34 pm

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
The will to funnel the world's chaos into a tidy metanarrative is pretty symtomatic.

Hehe. Excellently put.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 9:37 pm

Michellen2008 wrote:
Ok I tend to read into things when my anxiety is up or think something meant this or that when it didn't. I been told when I was 16 I had aspergers ADHD bipolar and anxiety. Is this part of my anxiety or aspergers? I tend to take things the wrong way or think something totally different of a situation and people have told me I'm taking things the wrong way calm down and "stop over analyzing things". I don't exactly know what this means but is it part of AS or anxiety? I'm a bit confused what it means. Thanks.

Michelle

I think you could easily say that if intuition is void, then overanalysis and anxiety would be the expectation that would follow.

I have a tendency to over and under shoot my aim and never can seem to find that "intuitive" target. This is where the dreaded Theory of Mind plays out. If any sense of it ( ToM) is there, it seems to be there through trial and error vs " knowing" or having "common sense" in it.

Michellen2008

18 Jul 2012, 9:48 pm

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
It could be part of both AS and anxiety.

I think that not only do a lot of us over analyze, but we load hidden meaning into our own words. You can see evidence of this on WP. A lot of people go off on certain posts, and they seem to be thinking stuff is there that isn't. Also, I find myself MEANING a lot of things in my words that others do not pick up on.

So, you can read too much into a innocent statement. And you might be expecting others to pick up on something you think is obvious but it's invisible to others.

That's me! I take things the wrong way or am sensitive or misunderstand or people take me the wrong way or I word things wrong and then I say I'm sorry that sounded mean and I have to re-think things in a different way and how I meant to say something. It's frustrating. I do this all the time and everyone gets so mad at me - it's line only if they knew what I was trying to say. Ugh :(