Lost and without a spark of motivation

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Klinx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2012, 1:11 pm

For those of you who ended up finding a fulfilling job, where did you find your spark? I talk to my parents quite often about this matter, and they aren't really able to give me an answer that calms me indefinitely.

I've been working a dishwashing job at Red Robin for over a year now, and the days where I'm feeling good and the days I feel like crap are all over the place. What's worse, I don't know of anything within my current interests that will land me a good job and that I'll be passionate about doing. I'm going to be honest, there aren't many things in life that have truly made me happy or passionate about something. This has easily been one of my most turbulent summers emotionally because I'm filled with such uncertainty as to where my life is headed or what kinds of jobs are out there that will seem interesting. I've had quite a few episodes of helplessness, and I found myself going into one after a discussion at lunch today; the reason as to why I'm writing this now. My mother seems pretty confident that there are very few (if any) jobs left that are devoted to doing just a single solitary task repetitively that has a decent pay. She suggested taking a job involving a skill such as becoming a master plumber or electrician or even a job on an assembly line, but the thought of doing that bothers me...a lot.

Any suggestions on some jobs that were fulfilling to at least some of you that you might think would be worthwhile looking into? Any responses to this would be greatly appreciated.

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jul 2012, 2:48 pm

Think about what you would like to do for work preferable something you love so much you
wouldn't care about the pay. Intern in that field since I assume you are still at home and they are usually unpaid.
Here are examples of what I would do: Intern at Marineland (working with dolphins),Croc school (Australia Zoo or some place local) so I can work with alligators/crocs, get a job in your state's Fish/Wildlife department if you love animals. :D

sally7171
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2012, 7:59 pm

How about data entry? It was one of the first jobs I had. If you stand out as having a great work ethic it can open doors to other opportunities in the company.

Klinx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2012, 10:15 pm

sally7171 wrote:
How about data entry? It was one of the first jobs I had. If you stand out as having a great work ethic it can open doors to other opportunities in the company.

I've been wondering a bit about data entry. What jobs require someone to enter data? Any ideas?