Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2012, 11:15 am

My example is waiting at your doctor office or the RMV (Driver's license, etc)
After 1hr I am a little upset
After 2hrs I get restless,bored and start to get angry.
After 3hrs I am at the meltdown point and if it takes any longer will leave after nearly knocking the door off it's hinges!

Other examples: grocery shopping (15-30min max) any longer drives me nuts.
Laundromat: 1hr max before upset begins.
Waiting in traffic: If the cars don't move after 30min I flip out!

the_beautiful_mess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2012, 11:25 am

If I was waiting at my doctor's for an hour, I would not be a little upset. I would be at the point of storming into his office and yelling a few expletives before knocking over a few chairs and storming out.

:lol:

I put the laughing face, but it's true.

'I sometimes go to my own little world, but that's okay, they know me there.' ~ Joel Hodgson

Steven_Tyler77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2012, 11:32 am

Yeah, OP, you seem to be VERY patient!

When I waited for more than an hour at a doctor's office, I had a meltdown right there and almost assaulted another doctor who had spent 20 minutes inside the office (in my country, it's customary that medical personnel do not wait like everybody else to get a consultation, but get it whenever they want to, even if there are countless other people waiting outside). The doctor and her boyfriend ran away in terror and I followed them down the stairs, shouting at them that they should be ashamed of not waiting for their turn like the rest of us :) I'm not proud of getting so out of control, but boy, did they deserve this...

I have ADHD and boredom is my most feared enemy, go figure...

Aspie-quiz results:
Aspie score: 138 of 200 / NT score: 78 of 200 => Very likely an Aspie.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 11:37 am

I've had computer problems recently which I can't fix (because I'd need diagnostic equipment for ram chips and hard drives, and another computer to fix my broken one) so I have to take it somewhere. It's been at Staples now for 5 days. The wait is driving me insane. I was in the middle of writing a novella so the delay is like driving spikes in my side. If it isn't ready today, I'll buy one of their cheap computers and return it when my old one gets fixed.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 12:53 pm

Patience? What's this "patience" you speak of? :lol: :bounce: :wall:

questor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 1:40 pm

Bring a book, DUH!! ! :study: :lol:

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm

yeah, I get impatient pretty easily.

1 hour being ignored is about twice as long as I'd stand for before I left. If I have an appointment, each minute past the appointed time that I' not being seen feels like some kind of significant offense against me. Or that's how I process it. And I hate on the whole staff for being inefficient, in my head anyway.
It bugs me when people make appointment times and then use them as guidelines. Most Dr. offices are patient mills, so the docs try to see as many in as short of a period as possible. So, I get irritated with the inefficiency of it, I suppose.

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

Five minutes and I would loose it. If its a relatively empty room I might be able to use my iPad, listen to music or read; otherwise I would go insane. When I got my driver's license I had to wait 15 minutes, despite being excited I was on the edge of my patience and had nothing to occupy myself with.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 3:23 pm

For me it depends on the day, how I'm feeling and all that, and the situation.

Sometimes I have a ridiculous amount of patience compared to NTs around me. This has happened when dealing with certain children in a classroom setting (with me being a teacher aide) - the teacher would lose all her patience and be yelling at the kids, and I'd be completely calm - at least externally - I was mainly calm because her yelling, even though it was directed at the kids and not at me at all, made me freeze/lock up until it stopped.

I've had lots of patience with kids in other situations, though - such as when they're just not understanding something, or when they refuse to talk, and some other problems.

Other times I have no patience at all, or almost no patience. Like when I'm waiting for my synth to boot up, or when I'm waiting in line somewhere - all sorts of situations.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 9:45 am

the_beautiful_mess wrote:
If I was waiting at my doctor's for an hour, I would not be a little upset. I would be at the point of storming into his office and yelling a few expletives before knocking over a few chairs and storming out.

When I took my oldest brother's wife to the doctor about a month ago, the wait was about 4 hours which is fairly typical there.

I thought it was a fairly pleasant wait.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 9:47 am

abstract wrote:
Five minutes and I would loose it. If its a relatively empty room I might be able to use my iPad, listen to music or read; otherwise I would go insane. When I got my driver's license I had to wait 15 minutes, despite being excited I was on the edge of my patience and had nothing to occupy myself with.

You just need to live in a sufficiently rural area. When I go to renew my driver's license, I'm typically the only one there.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 4:24 pm

I dont have much patience with traffic and I really dont have any patience with computers. Waiting for doctors doesn't bother me mainly cause I just play on my phone the whole time. My record wait for a doctor's office was 3.5 hours and for the ER you can at bare minimum expect to wait 6 hours but usually 8 hours or more here.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:43 pm

It depends on how manic I am feeling. Sometimes I have the patience of a saint, and other times I feel like I would blow up the entire universe if I could.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 6:36 pm

nolan1971 wrote:
What is the limit of your patience?
My example has to do with chores:

Ask me once, and it's a request.
Ask me twice, and it's a reminder.
Ask me thrice, and it's nagging.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 6:45 pm

Hmm, if I'm at a bus stop waiting for a bus and it's more than 10 minutes late I start getting mildly agitated. At 20 minutes I get very agitated. At 30 minutes my patience really starts wearing thin. After 40 minutes I start to get angry.

I have ADHD so I am not very good at waiting anyway. If I arrive more than 8 minutes early to the bus stop, I panic because I just cannot stand still and wait that long. I'm better if I'm sitting down.

I can wait in a waiting-room, providing there are enough seats to sit down and there are no screaming kids. But I don't sit very still and I am always looking for distraction, but often in waiting-rooms there's not much distraction. I like watching older kids playing with the toys.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 7:28 pm

As short as half a minute, as long as foolishly an eternity. It varies. It depends at the situation, but there are some clear factors:

I have less patience if I have plans to do anything afterwards. Even less when if it involves jobs or requests from someone else, or if it involves focus and expecting things.
Even worse? I suck at time management, and I just had enough of it.

If and only if I'm having these 'I don't care' moments, with a lot of time to kill -- no plans or interruptions, it stretches to more than half a day or longer. I'd likely fall asleep out of boredom of waiting without entertainment though.
But if it's something to be done, I'd likely stay persistent no matter how painfully boring it was. My only limits then would be my own mind encumbered by my needy body.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.