Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LuckyKayla
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2012, 11:48 am

(This seemed to make sense in the College/School forum, too, but I'll only post it here)

So, my dad is really getting on my case about what I'm going to do when I get out of community college, what degree I'll go after, what classes I'll take, what career I want. He wants me to spend a few hours on my computer researching jobs (which I've done) and really think hard about my future. Lately, I've been stressed, and really the only things keeping me sane are Theatre and Creative Writing, which I want to continue next semester as creative outlets. However, my dad seems to want me to get into the career path of Computer Science. (Which I have no interest in what so ever) I'm more of a Humanites Person -Art, Theatre, Literature, Languages, History, that kind of thing. I also have ADHD, Bi-Polar, and Psychotic features, and I've been told that hard science is not something I want to do. What sort of degree/job/career should I strive for?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 2:13 pm

It's your life and your future. Take courses that are geared towards a career YOU want to have. Unless your father is going to be doing your future job for you, he has no right to dictate what career you train for. However, be aware that if he disapproves of your choice, he has the right to refuse to provide financial and other assistance to you. That means you would have to find another way to pay for college and other bills. It might also mean living somewhere else--perhaps on campus? It may also mean holding down a part time job while going to college part time.

If you have been having trouble talking to your father about what your interests are, and aren't, try writing it down, and then give him the note. Just tell him you have absolutely zero interest or liking of the computer field, but are interested in art, theater, history, etc, and are going to pursue a career based on what you are interested in.

I absolutely hated school and also had no idea what careers I might be interested in, so I never went to college. In retrospect, I would recommend a vocational school for anyone who doesn't know where they are going by the time they are college aged. Also in retrospect, I should have studied for a library based career. :(

I think your father is just worried about your future, but hasn't grasped that people who do jobs they like are more likely to stay employed. You might be able to calm your father down if you also take a basic accounting/bookkeeping course, so you will know how to manage your own money. :D Even if you don't really like the course, it's worth knowing this stuff. I don't like math, but took such a course in high school as an elective that I picked myself for that reason. I was very fortunate in that the course text book happened to be very well written--it was very easy to follow, without "talking down" to the reader. That made the course easier to get through. I even managed to bag an "A" at the end of the course--in a math course of all things! :D

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 3:06 pm

I think your dad is concerned about your future. The job market today has a glut of unemployed humanities and liberal arts majors fueld by the ideas of everything has to go to college and major in whatever makes you happy. I think your dad wants you to do Comp Sci because there are still good jobs available in that field. It's very scary for a parent to stress over if their son will be able to support himself.

I would consider a dual major, or a minor, or some sort of plan B. Something to fall back on.

I am a Sociology Major, but I worked 4 years in a computer repair business. When I graduated I was able to pursue law enforcement and IT support.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2012, 9:04 am

thewhitrbbit wrote:
I think your dad is concerned about your future. The job market today has a glut of unemployed humanities and liberal arts majors fueld by the ideas of everything has to go to college and major in whatever makes you happy. I think your dad wants you to do Comp Sci because there are still good jobs available in that field. It's very scary for a parent to stress over if their son will be able to support himself.

I would consider a dual major, or a minor, or some sort of plan B. Something to fall back on.

I am a Sociology Major, but I worked 4 years in a computer repair business. When I graduated I was able to pursue law enforcement and IT support.

Yep.

He's been there, done that, and doesn't want to see you graduate with a degree that can't land you a job.

Research your options.

You like theater. Research the odds of working in a community theater or movie studio. Perhaps being a cameraman, stage set designer or set up assistant, lighting coordinator, etc. Volunteer with school productions. Find community internships in theater. Find a way to get experience. Research the salaries that people in that job and field actually make. Find out hiring statistics. Sure, it would be nice to be the next Spielberg making millions upon millions a year, but that's incredibly unlikely. Research, then research some more. Talk to people in the field you're interested in. E-mail experienced people in that field, telling them you're interested in that field and asking them for advice.

You like creative writing. Get your essays critiqued. Reach out to other authors, asking for honest evaluations. There are tons of people wanting to be authors, but most don't get published. Perhaps you could use your interest to edit a university magazine, or teach creative writing in a high school.

Look at careers that interest you and find out the odds of getting employed in that field, in that job, and what the salaries are.

No matter how interested you are in a subject, you don't want to major it in if you won't be able to find a job. Find a way to relate your interest to your career, or major in something job-relevant that you like, and do your interests as a hobby.