James Holmes may have Aspergers?



Page 20 of 23 [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page:

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 462

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:27 am

angelbear wrote:
I doubt if we will hear anything about an official diagnosis for him for awhile. Sounds like the court is trying to keep all of that under wraps. That notebook probably has a lot in it, and it sounds like they are not going to allow that to be let out to the public. Guess we will have to wait and see.

That's definitely true. All will come out in tiny, little steps.
Here's a good article about mental illness and stigma in relation to this incident:
Times


_________________
Knowing / that I could walk seventeen miles through a ravine / in the heart of Toronto,
and never / directly see the city/ is of some comfort


angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 1135

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:57 am

Thanks for the article. This is definitely an alarming problem in our country.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 18406
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:04 am

Dillogic wrote:
It's most likely that people who're disturbed are going to be taking medication rather than the medication being a key component of such.

Can't say I've ever felt any increase in anger levels from my usual Care Bear, docile self, since taking an SSRI. But then, I'm not disturbed.


I tried prozac and it made me more anxious and paranoid, I can see how that could have sent me over the edge in the right circumstances...so I think its possible medications could play a role in some of these shootings. Oh and finally my friend convinced this one girls mom to get her off the zoloft because it was making her more anxious and depressed I mean it was apparent that drug was doing more harm than good to her.


_________________
Winter is coming.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 18406
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:05 am

angelbear wrote:
Thanks for the article. This is definitely an alarming problem in our country.


Oh yes, there is.


_________________
Winter is coming.


Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 3938
Location: Homeward bound

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:48 pm

A lot of people and organisations will use events such as this shooting, to increase their income.

Drug companies and anti cannabis crusaders will push their respective barrows.

Anti gun groups too, though I am inclined to agree that semi automatic weapons need to be addressed.

Video games and violent film and media, too



Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 462

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Here's an account of a friend of Holmes about him:
Thoughts about a friend named James Holmes


_________________
Knowing / that I could walk seventeen miles through a ravine / in the heart of Toronto,
and never / directly see the city/ is of some comfort


Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 3938
Location: Homeward bound

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:20 pm

Mayel wrote:
Here's an account of a friend of Holmes about him:
Thoughts about a friend named James Holmes


Thank you Mayel for sharing these links with us. I really appreciate these media bytes.

As aspies we can all learn from these sad tragedies.

Hating on the world is not the way forward for any of us, and our hateful speech can infect others negatively

Maybe Holmes heard hateful laments of autistic woe, and hateful rhetoric, before his decision to shoot up a crowded place...

Inciting others with negative energy, and its consequences, has been a thought of late.

And yet what are an oppressed minority supposed to do? Wear it on the chin with a smile??

This was essentially an act of terrorism, against a controlling majority

Hopefully leaders in positions of power may make amends for minorities, and in the future cater more, to more types of people

We will always have outliers, better management of society, will benefit all.

We need more love at the top



Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 5847

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:48 pm

Surfman wrote:
[Maybe Holmes heard hateful laments of autistic woe, and hateful rhetoric, before his decision to shoot up a crowded place...

Inciting others with negative energy, and its consequences, has been a thought of late.

And yet what are an oppressed minority supposed to do? Wear it on the chin with a smile??

This was essentially an act of terrorism, against a controlling majority


I don't know. It doesn't really seem that way from what his college friend wrote. If anything, it makes him seem like somebody not particularly a bully magnet or carrying a lot of rage. He is being painted as an amiable introvert. To me, it makes it seem more like a sudden-onset thing and not the finally unbottled rage of somebody who was bullied throughout life. Of course it's seen through the eyes of this man, but there is a real "he seemed so normal" puzzlement in this man that makes me think he wasn't considered the weirdest guy in the dorm and therefore picked on.



biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 1199

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Mayel wrote:
Here's an account of a friend of Holmes about him:
Thoughts about a friend named James Holmes


This article makes him seem a lot less like an aspie than the initial media descriptions. It doesn't make him sound like a psychopath either--from what I understand, such people are prone to lying and actively spiteful behavior toward others around them. This guy sounds like he had a large amount of "untargeted" rage--while his crime clearly involved planning, his acts have no apparent motive per se other than venting.



Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 3938
Location: Homeward bound

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:18 pm

hes got that bully target look to me

Image



Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 462

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Janissy wrote:
I don't know. It doesn't really seem that way from what his college friend wrote. If anything, it makes him seem like somebody not particularly a bully magnet or carrying a lot of rage. He is being painted as an amiable introvert. To me, it makes it seem more like a sudden-onset thing and not the finally unbottled rage of somebody who was bullied throughout life. Of course it's seen through the eyes of this man, but there is a real "he seemed so normal" puzzlement in this man that makes me think he wasn't considered the weirdest guy in the dorm and therefore picked on.

If a friend of mine talked about me, it probably would sound the same. Nonetheless, if you ask random people who know me, they'll tell you I'm weird and odd or something like that. I think it's all difficult to analyse...you really have to look at the different accounts and the people who made them and at which point they knew him.
I remember another account from someone who said that if you teased him, he wouldn't say a thing and just smile....so don't know what to think.

biostructure wrote:
This guy sounds like he had a large amount of "untargeted" rage--while his crime clearly involved planning, his acts have no apparent motive per se other than venting.

That's what it sounds like to me, too. Though rage still can have its reasons somewhere, maybe everywhere.

I wonder if these new claims are legit...:
MTV 1
(I guess not....cruel.)


_________________
Knowing / that I could walk seventeen miles through a ravine / in the heart of Toronto,
and never / directly see the city/ is of some comfort


Last edited by Mayel on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 3938
Location: Homeward bound

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:05 pm

'Hot Diggity Dog Batman!'

'Its more like the Superman curse, Boy Wonder. Last thing we need is Commissioner Gorgon giving us a razz'

Image



Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 462

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:20 am

Quote:
The University of Colorado Denver psychiatrist seeing accused murderer James Eagan Holmes was so alarmed by his behavior that she notified the campus-wide threat assessment team that she helped create years before, a source told The Denver Post.

Dr. Lynne Fenton, identified in a court document as Holmes' psychiatrist, in June took her concerns to members of the campus' Behavioral Evaluation and Threat Assessment team but no further action was taken, a source with knowledge of the process told The Post.

7News reported Wednesday that a source said Fenton first contacted the BETA team in "the first 10 days" of June, but the matter did not move forward because Holmes began the process of leaving CU.

denverpost


_________________
Knowing / that I could walk seventeen miles through a ravine / in the heart of Toronto,
and never / directly see the city/ is of some comfort


angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 1135

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:12 am

The description by the roommate still sounds like an Aspie to me, maybe on the more outgoing side of being an Aspie. But I still firmly do not believe that this caused him to commit the crimes. I do believe he developed a more serious mental problem that maybe had been brewing for awhile and the losses triggered it. Also, it sounds like he had maybe lost touch with his family if he did not like going home because of his sister. Sounds like he just had no one to turn to.

Maybe I would feel differently if I had lost a love one, or if I had been in that theatre, but I do feel pity in my heart for James Holmes. I see him as a human being that was desperate and lonely, and had no one to support him through his struggles. Maybe it is because I am the mother of a child with differences that I can relate to seeing how difficult this could be for someone.

I do feel sympathy for the victims as well---it is just a sad, sad story.



Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 462

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:40 am

angelbear wrote:
The description by the roommate still sounds like an Aspie to me, maybe on the more outgoing side of being an Aspie. But I still firmly do not believe that this caused him to commit the crimes. I do believe he developed a more serious mental problem that maybe had been brewing for awhile and the losses triggered it. Also, it sounds like he had maybe lost touch with his family if he did not like going home because of his sister. Sounds like he just had no one to turn to.

Maybe I would feel differently if I had lost a love one, or if I had been in that theatre, but I do feel pity in my heart for James Holmes. I see him as a human being that was desperate and lonely, and had no one to support him through his struggles. Maybe it is because I am the mother of a child with differences that I can relate to seeing how difficult this could be for someone.

I do feel sympathy for the victims as well---it is just a sad, sad story.

I feel similarly.

And I do think, that if he had a problem and he sensed it, he may have felt isolated like he didn't have any close friends nor that he was close enough with his family so he was left alone with all his thoughts and there was nobody to show him reality or show him something good, some kind of support or a social net. Thus, whatever happened to his mind (triggered by his circumstances and events in life), overwhelmed the person that he was. He probably still tried to get out of this by going to a psychiatrist but it didn't work out at the end.
This is terribly sad and everything that happened afterwards.

There was another article about his family before:
Washingtonpost
Which stated this:
Quote:
Neighbors and people close to the family said Arlene Holmes had confided to friends that she was very concerned about her son’s social isolation and had sought counseling for him years earlier...There were hints that James Holmes’s apparently withdrawn nature was in marked contrast with that of his younger sister, Chris. Chris, five years younger, graduated from the same local high school. But she was described by friends and neighbors as gregarious and outgoing, an accomplished musician who was a guitarist at school and had a tomboy streak. Neighbors don’t remember seeing James with any friends, but Chris was another story, with her friends coming frequently to the family home on Sparren Ave­nue.


_________________
Knowing / that I could walk seventeen miles through a ravine / in the heart of Toronto,
and never / directly see the city/ is of some comfort


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 20 of 23 [ 335 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page:




You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: