Page 1 of 21 [ 335 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 2:53 pm

him having Aspergers and doing what he did, has just as little to do with what his favorite food is.

You dont go about killing people because you love Fastfood, Watches X show. Or are aspergers.

And you dont go around killing people because you're a loner who lives life alone either, even thought the news always blows this up big LONER KILLS PEOPLE IN THEATER!. HE WAS MUCH ALONE. so what?.

Its the same crap every single time some crazy psychopath kills someone.

Radian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2012, 2:59 pm

Aspergers's? Seriously? Did they find silencers on his guns?

Personally, I chime-in with the vivid world hypothesis. It hurts me to sit in a cinema (that's enough already) let alone watch a mildly stimulating film for a couple of hours (e.g. Harry Potter). Horses for courses I suppose but the rather obvious suggestion would have to be that the guy was a psychopath.

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2012, 3:08 pm

It's funny that one man on radio suspects this guy is on the autism "scale" (and we're taking him seriously?). So now not only are you guys taking this as an attack on people with ASD's, but it's because the rest of us can't stand the idea that this guy could be "normal". So this one man apparently represents all people with Aspergers according to NT's, and your rebuttal is to have this radio guy represent all "normal" people. Where do you guys get this stuff? The whole "us vs them" thing that I see so much on this site is more of a construction than reality.

JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2012, 3:17 pm

McAnulty wrote:
It's funny that one man on radio suspects this guy is on the autism "scale" (and we're taking him seriously?). So now not only are you guys taking this as an attack on people with ASD's, but it's because the rest of us can't stand the idea that this guy could be "normal". So this one man apparently represents all people with Aspergers according to NT's, and your rebuttal is to have this radio guy represent all "normal" people. Where do you guys get this stuff? The whole "us vs them" thing that I see so much on this site is more of a construction than reality.

I never said that Scarboroughs opinion represents " ALL NTs" as you suggest. The fact that he disseminated the idea that perhaps Holmes as Aspergers reflects poorly on all of us. He is trying to pinpoint what brought him to commit the atrocity and his opinion was Autism related.

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2012, 3:19 pm

Everyone who kills innocent people has a serious problem. It does not matter whether they are neurotypical or not. We already discussed in this forum why Aspies are rather prone to become victims than murderers and tend to stick to the rules/law.

Still, as many people I would like to understand to some degree why someone would do such a thing and I wonder if it would be easier to understand another Aspie than a NT. It is probably just something nobody can understand. On the other hand, Aspies often get bullied and feel misunderstood and I suspect that bullying may produce a desire for revenge.

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 3:48 pm

I was wondering why he looked so drowsy this morning. Either he stayed up all night or, like someone said, was heavily medicated. It was bizarre to watch, though, with that glowing orange hair an' all. Diagnosis wise, I'm willing to bet money he's on the spectrum. A few of us really are out of touch with reality.

Edit: If you were to google 'James Holmes Asperger's' it brings you right back here. I guess just by us publicly inquiring about it would keep it alive in the public's consciousness.

Last edited by redrobin62 on 23 Jul 2012, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 3:56 pm

The level of planning that he did shows that his executive function skills worked very well. He planned this for months (per the online weapons orders) and on the night he did it, he timed everything- even to the point of putting his stereo on a timer to induce somebody to barge into his apartment. The attack itself required him to do many things simultaneosly and plan and time them perfectly. I think this level of executive function skills argues against his being anywhere on the autism spectrum. I don't think executive function problems are mandatory for a diagnosis, but they do seem pretty common. People talk about them here a lot.

I have nowehere near the level of executive function skills that he does and have no diagnosed problem with that. I think being able to pull off that level of planning and coordination singlehandedly is pretty rare, even for people that really want to cause that much destruction.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 4:09 pm

Yes
Aspies are sometimes mass murderers
Its difficult for many to admit.
The ultimate meltdown
Finally people acknowledge them

Tasmania shooter
Aramoana shooter
Norway shooter
Aurora shooter
Virginia tech shooter
Columbine

All loners with no friends, though precise DX would vary across PDD's

If an aspie is gonna do murder, expect it to be compulsive, planned out....

Nature doing its thing.... Imagine if you had children, and one was swept aside, ignored, left to their own...... What do you think would eventually happen?

Being another campus accommodation related shooting like Virginia tech, Aurora now begs the question:

Something sad, lonely and unsaid stinks for aspies, [marginalised by current cultural norms] what are our leaders going to do about it??

Wait for another sad ass to extract his revenge?

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 4:19 pm

Janissy wrote:
The level of planning that he did shows that his executive function skills worked very well. He planned this for months (per the online weapons orders) and on the night he did it, he timed everything- even to the point of putting his stereo on a timer to induce somebody to barge into his apartment. The attack itself required him to do many things simultaneosly and plan and time them perfectly. I think this level of executive function skills argues against his being anywhere on the autism spectrum. I don't think executive function problems are mandatory for a diagnosis, but they do seem pretty common. People talk about them here a lot.

I have nowehere near the level of executive function skills that he does and have no diagnosed problem with that. I think being able to pull off that level of planning and coordination singlehandedly is pretty rare, even for people that really want to cause that much destruction.

Although many Aspergians have (different degrees) of impairment in executive function; it's not a requirement for an Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis.

Depending upon the individual, Time (management but not necessarily mandatory) and focus( intense but not necessarily mandatory) can aid greatly in planning to do, working on, and accomplishing a goal.

It's a spectrum.

*ONLY and last comment on this subject matter

TheSunAlsoRises

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2012, 4:22 pm

Janissy wrote:

Well, I think if I were of a mind to do it, I could stage something like that. The planning was not that difficult and this event was very important to him or he would not have given up everything. Aspies do incredibly difficult things if they are related to their special interest.

Why does everyone believe that he wanted to lure people inside his apartment with that music? To me it sounds like an alibi that might come in handy if one gets away with it and is just a suspect. He may have intended to claim that he was home listening to music being backed up by neighbors claiming they heard the music starting right when the killing took place. If I wanted people to come into my apartment, I would have chosen another kind of noise like recorded screaming etc. Maybe he's a bit megalomanic. However, if he wanted to kill police officers in case they caught him, why did he tell them that there are explosives in his flat? It is all very strange...

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 4:25 pm

McAnulty wrote:

"Us vs them" is precisely how the vast majority of people are going to look at it. That's why there are people like the guy on the radio flailing around to try to pin a psychiatric disorder on JH. He (and a lot of others) want to make sure JH isn't normal, so that they can know that when they are suspicious of people with psych conditions they are keeping themselves safe. If normal people can do such things then their world becomes infinitely scary.

Most people put tremendous value in not being diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder and have hate & fear for people who are.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 4:38 pm

I will say that I suspected it when I read about the guy's life story(I found myself saying "please don't have autism...please don't have autism..."). However, I also think it could be something similar, like Borderline Personality Disorder. I just don't think that autism alone could drive someone to do this sort of thing. He had to have some sort of psychotic disorder as a comorbid if he was on the spectrum. As for how he looks, the only picture I have seen so far reminds me of the picture of Charles Manson that was on the cover of LIFE magazine in the 1960's.

Last edited by outofplace on 23 Jul 2012, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 4:53 pm

Oh shucks.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 4:54 pm

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
Janissy wrote:

Although many Aspergians have (different degrees) of impairment in executive function; it's not a requirement for an Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis.

Depending upon the individual, Time (management but not necessarily mandatory) and focus( intense but not necessarily mandatory) can aid greatly in planning to do, working on, and accomplishing a goal.

It's a spectrum.

*ONLY and last comment on this subject matter

TheSunAlsoRises

No need to add fuel to the flame.

TheSunAlsoRises

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jul 2012, 5:23 pm

Surfman wrote:
Yes
Aspies are sometimes mass murderers
Its difficult for many to admit.
The ultimate meltdown
Finally people acknowledge them

Tasmania shooter
Aramoana shooter
Norway shooter
Aurora shooter
Virginia tech shooter
Columbine

Eric Harris, the mastermind behind the Columbine shootings, was not an aspie. He was a sociopath who had a large scale plan of blowing up buildings after the school shooting. He also was not the 'angry loner' the media made him out to be. His accomplice, Dylan Klebold, may have been an isolated, depressed aspie, one that was easily manipulated by Harris to join him in the killings.

This Holmes guy does not sound like an Aspie, doesn't look like one either. He's just a psycho faking dazed in the courtroom; nutcases like himself get off on manipulating audiences.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 5:26 pm

Why does Loner + Murder = AS?

I'm waiting to see the details of his personal life.