Page 4 of 21 [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next

soutthpaw
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2012, 12:34 am

deltafunction wrote:
Why does Loner + Murder = AS?

I'm waiting to see the details of his personal life.

because it equals Media sensationalism and scapegoating! also creates a false sense of comfort for the NT majority

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Jul 2012, 12:53 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't think this guy was pushed to an extreme and snapped......I think people can be pushed to an extreme and snap, but I doubt it would resemble this incident with the whole planning it out for months thing. Also I don't see why a psychopath or sociopath would have to 'snap' to do something like that...however I think most people mentally ill or not could certainly be pushed to snap and act violently but I doubt it would be in such an organized planned out manner.

Most people just flip out a bit and it's over. Very few flip out and kill someone. Practically no one snaps and sets out to go on a killing spree.

As far as psychopaths and sociopaths, there are numerous instances of them killing people after getting fired, splitting up, getting a restraining order, etc. Most psychopaths and sociopaths never kill or even physically injure anyone, however.

Quote:
To me that experiment does show normal people are capable of terrible things...I mean authority figure or not why would you continue inflicting extreme pain on someone like they were made to think they were doing for the experiment. That would be the whole thing with it being 'socially acceptable' and thus ok even if their conscience said no.

As it turns out, the authority figure (in Milgram's experiment, a man in a white lab coat) is pretty crucial to this. Without a clear authority figure, people are significantly less likely to comply. Also, adding another person who objects tends to break whatever it is that keeps people going at it, and they'll object right along with that person.

If you think the experiments demonstrated that anyone could just decide to go do horrible things, you badly misunderstood them.

Quote:
Maybe, but what about those who go along with it?.......for instance when I was the outcast in school who got bullied, I don't think the kids who joined in with the bullying out of wanting to remain popular were to upset by their bullying of me. Also maybe most people do not necessarily enjoy inflicting pain on others directly but humans even the normal ones can be cruel, to always pin it on the mentally ill is BS in my opinion.

I am not pinning it on the mentally ill. I said I do not think James Holmes is mentally ill. I do not know what you are responding to, but I said the exact opposite of what you're complaining about. And for the record, I am mentally ill.

Quote:
Neither would most 'mentally ill/disordered' people.

I actually made this exact point earlier.

Quote:
I know that, I was just using it as an example that normal people can be capable of terrible things like mass shootings, discrimination against specific groups and even burning fellow humans to death at the stake. I don't see how I am confusing several issues into a single thing I am well aware these are separate issues its not like I think all this is directly connected I was using examples of people doing terrible things throughout history.

Because while most people are capable of doing certain kinds of horrible things under certain conditions, it does not reflect a general tendency to just go off and do any kind of horrible things at will. And when I say "most people" I am also referring to people with mental illnesses who as I swear I have said more than once, are more likely to be targeted for violence than be the cause of it.

Last edited by Verdandi on 24 Jul 2012, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 1:15 am

Its easy for us to appreciate how 'bullycide' works

This is similar. Yet we struggle to accept our own can become heinous murderers

In new zealand we have recently been promoting anti bullying measures [esp, regarding facebook, texting and social media]

due the the high incidence of young people committing suicide after being bullied publicly via websites

recently groups of young people [who know each other, from small towns] have been killing themselves

one by one over the space of a few months....

I sincerely hope progressive measures are implemented.

Otherwise bullycide and mass murders will become more frequent in our societies.... 'normal' 'aspie' or 'whatever'

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 1:24 am

Verdandi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't think this guy was pushed to an extreme and snapped......I think people can be pushed to an extreme and snap, but I doubt it would resemble this incident with the whole planning it out for months thing. Also I don't see why a psychopath or sociopath would have to 'snap' to do something like that...however I think most people mentally ill or not could certainly be pushed to snap and act violently but I doubt it would be in such an organized planned out manner.

Most people just flip out a bit and it's over. Very few flip out and kill someone. Practically no one snaps and sets out to go on a killing spree.

As far as psychopaths and sociopaths, there are numerous instances of them killing people after getting fired, splitting up, getting a restraining order, etc. Most psychopaths and sociopaths never kill or even physically injure anyone, however.

True.

Quote:
To me that experiment does show normal people are capable of terrible things...I mean authority figure or not why would you continue inflicting extreme pain on someone like they were made to think they were doing for the experiment. That would be the whole thing with it being 'socially acceptable' and thus ok even if their conscience said no.

As it turns out, the authority figure (in Milgram's experiment, a man in a white lab coat) is pretty crucial to this. Without a clear authority figure, people are significantly less likely to comply. Also, adding another person who objects tends to break whatever it is that keeps people going at it, and they'll object right along with that person.

If you think the experiments demonstrated that anyone could just decide to go do horrible things, you badly misunderstood them.

That is not quite what I meant, just that it proves normal people can be capable of hurting others or even killing them(if I remember the experiment right, though I know no one in the experiment was actually killed). I am not saying most people could just up and decide to go on a killing spree they would either have to be pushed to that point, following an authority figure who says it's ok, or already have sadistic tendencies at least in my opinion...though even then one could develop such tendencies depending on their environment even if that is not how they were to begin with.

Quote:
Maybe, but what about those who go along with it?.......for instance when I was the outcast in school who got bullied, I don't think the kids who joined in with the bullying out of wanting to remain popular were to upset by their bullying of me. Also maybe most people do not necessarily enjoy inflicting pain on others directly but humans even the normal ones can be cruel, to always pin it on the mentally ill is BS in my opinion.

I am not pinning it on the mentally ill. I said I do not think James Holmes is mentally ill. I do not know what you are responding to, but I said the exact opposite of what you're complaining about. And for the record, I am mentally ill.

Quote:
Neither would most 'mentally ill/disordered' people.

I actually made this exact point earlier.

Quote:
I know that, I was just using it as an example that normal people can be capable of terrible things like mass shootings, discrimination against specific groups and even burning fellow humans to death at the stake. I don't see how I am confusing several issues into a single thing I am well aware these are separate issues its not like I think all this is directly connected I was using examples of people doing terrible things throughout history.

Because while most people are capable of doing certain kinds of horrible things under certain conditions, it does not reflect a general tendency to just go off and do any kind of horrible things at will. And when I say "most people" I am also referring to people with mental illnesses who as I swear I have said more than once, are more likely to be targeted for violence than the cause of it.

alright sorry I'm awesome at reading apparently.....I'll go back and try and find what I was responding to, it looked like you were saying people with mental illnesses were more likely to be violent and I was also just kind of speaking generally others have tried making that connection so that wasn't entirely directed at you so I guess I misunderstood.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 1:28 am

Verdandi wrote:
James Holmes is about as likely to be autistic as he is to be a Martian. I also doubt he's bipolar or schizophrenic.

However, "normal" people don't go on shooting sprees. Someone does something like this, they are almost certainly diagnosable with something.

Anyways this is what gave me the impression you were implying mentally ill people are more likely than 'normal' people to do something like that.

catster32
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2012, 1:41 am

Surfman wrote:
Its easy for us to appreciate how 'bullycide' works

This is similar. Yet we struggle to accept our own can become heinous murderers

In new zealand we have recently been promoting anti bullying measures [esp, regarding facebook, texting and social media]

due the the high incidence of young people committing suicide after being bullied publicly via websites

recently groups of young people [who know each other, from small towns] have been killing themselves

one by one over the space of a few months....

I sincerely hope progressive measures are implemented.

Otherwise bullycide and mass murders will become more frequent in our societies.... 'normal' 'aspie' or 'whatever'

I could not agree more because whatever was going on with this individual it is possible he suffered some kind of bullying if that is the case it could explain hid actions like he wanted to live in another world. Of course no one would say he did the right thing and no one knows if he has AS or anything else I guess as they say we will find out in time.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Jul 2012, 1:48 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Anyways this is what gave me the impression you were implying mentally ill people are more likely than 'normal' people to do something like that.

The something I was referring to was psychopathy or sociopathy, which are not technically mental illnesses, but more a matter of personality, or at least in the case of psychopathy, a neurological issue.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 2:09 am

Verdandi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

The something I was referring to was psychopathy or sociopathy, which are not technically mental illnesses, but more a matter of personality, or at least in the case of psychopathy, a neurological issue.

Those aren't nessisarily diagnosible and I have never heard either referred to as neurological issues...but maybe. But that makes more sense.

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2012, 2:23 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khte62YSzS0[/youtube]

Jasmine90
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jul 2012, 2:27 am

Aspies generally don't lack empathy, that's more along the line of psychopathy. I would guess the two can be thought as similar, it's only natural for someone that doesn't fit into society, to create their own place to exist, which is often filled with things that interest them.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 2:49 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Those aren't nessisarily diagnosible and I have never heard either referred to as neurological issues...but maybe. But that makes more sense.

Psychopathy is diagnosable with Robert Hare's psychopathy checklists (PCL-R, for example). Sociopathy is a somewhat vague construct that is either supposed to actually be psychopathy, or is distinguished from psychopathy in particular ways,

The neurological elements of psychopathy are discussed in this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnV4RnWcmWo[/youtube]

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 3:50 am

Psychopaths usually gave a ton of friends. I was involved with a cult once, the leader was a charismatic psychopathic Satanist......and also a psychopathic girlfriend who was eventually charged with criminal harassment.

I know psychopathy

Aspies who go bad..... get relabelled sociopaths... after the fact

Until the cinema shootings he was a choir boy.... and into Batman!!

Last edited by Surfman on 24 Jul 2012, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 4:05 am

I don't really think he is. Well I do not know other people with AS in person, and its a spectrum and if he has it, hes got more problems than that.

whalewatcher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2012, 4:22 am

I'll admit that I've never been to the USA, but the context of apparent easy access to weapons and ammo, and the prevailing violence of mass culture (endless superhero films, shooter video games), surely contributed to this tragedy enormously.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 4:28 am

whalewatcher wrote:
I'll admit that I've never been to the USA, but the context of apparent easy access to weapons and ammo, and the prevailing violence of mass culture (endless superhero films, shooter video games), surely contributed to this tragedy enormously.

Not to derail but I do not believe that violent media is a straight shot actual violence. I watch plenty of horror movies and violent video games but you will not see me pull out a sword and saw my neighbors.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 4:30 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
James Holmes is about as likely to be autistic as he is to be a Martian. I also doubt he's bipolar or schizophrenic.

However, "normal" people don't go on shooting sprees. Someone does something like this, they are almost certainly diagnosable with something.

General studies per the mentally ill indicate they are no more likely than the general population to be associated with violence, however there are exceptions to that general research among subgroups.

The issue has been studied specifically per rampage killings, and about half of the individuals studied were formally diagnosed mentally ill and often schizophrenic. Many were reported as receiving no treatment for their mental illnesses or were not taking their prescribed medications prior to the rampage killings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/13/opinion/a-closer-look-at-rampage-killings.html

Quote:
A team of New York Times reporters and researchers, in examining the nature of these attacks and the individuals involved, compiled a detailed database on 100 such cases over the past 50 years. The series of articles published in The Times this week based on that research offered several new insights. Although such killings account for only one-tenth of 1 percent of all homicides, the series confirmed the public perception that they appear to be increasing. It also found that rampage killers share several traits. Most are better educated than typical murderers, are more likely to have military experience, and are far more likely to kill themselves.

Cultural influences on this group, such as violent entertainment, seemed to have little impact. Instead, the most common factor was serious mental health problems. About half had received formal diagnosis of mental illness, often schizophrenia. More than half made threats, and a third had histories of violent behavior. Many never received treatment for mental disorders or were not monitored to keep them on their medication. Most of their rampage attacks were not sudden, impulsive acts but the culmination of years of rage, depression and mental illness. Often the failure of families, co-workers and even therapists to deal with warning signs led to catastrophic consequences.

Even with greater care in spotting mental disturbance, there can never be a perfect system. But the other crucial factor in rampage killings, access to guns, can be affected through legislation and regulation. More than half the killers, including those with histories of hospitalization for mental illness, were able to buy guns easily. While federal law prohibits the sale of guns to those who have been involuntarily committed to a mental institution, most states do not conduct background checks on a purchaser's psychiatric history.

The more notable recent rampage killings have been carried out by young adult males, however the research that was done prior to the year 2000 indicates that most were middle age males.

Considering that his mother was a psychiatric nurse, it's not likely that an autism spectrum disorder would have gone undetected during Holmes youth. It is pretty obvious that he is a delusional individual, by any reasonable observation, regardless of what potential diagnosis may eventually be attached to those delusions.

It's not impossible that someone like him presenting the behavior he is currently presenting would have an autism spectrum disorder, as the ICD10 acknowledges that Aspergers is associated with psychotic breaks from reality in young adulthood, in some cases.

I think it is likely that the parents may be able to contribute more information to the authorities regarding his mental health, but the general public may not ever become aware of those details, if they are not presented as part of the case. If he wasn't drugged in the courtroom today, it appeared he was not sharing the same reality with the rest of the people in that room, nor was he making any attempt to hide it.