Page 16 of 21 [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 10:53 am

Verdandi wrote:
Transparent lies to evade responsibility for wrongdoing is a common psychopathic trait.

Yes.

People with AS tend to admit the things they do.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 10:57 am

Dillogic wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Transparent lies to evade responsibility for wrongdoing is a common psychopathic trait.

Yes.

People with AS tend to admit the things they do.

That all depends on what it is and who's asking, at least for me. It would be a very bad idea to be 100% honest in all situations.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 11:01 am

I'm speaking of a report involving Asperger's and criminal behavior. All of the examples given confessed to their crimes (often immediately).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 11:06 am

Dillogic wrote:
I'm speaking of a report involving Asperger's and criminal behavior. All of the examples given confessed to their crimes (often immediately).

I do not believe I was disputing that, and what sort of crimes were these?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Jul 2012, 11:30 am

why is it everytime there's a mass shooting the person immediatley possibly could have aspergers?

knock it off already. they dont

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 11:53 am

richardbenson wrote:

Well, they could. Considering mental illness and rampage killings often go hand in hand.

Sweetleaf,

Arson, sex and assault were those listed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 12:09 pm

Dillogic wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

Well, they could. Considering mental illness and rampage killings often go hand in hand.

Sweetleaf,

sex is a crime? imagine that.......lol I imagine you mean some crime related to sex, but yeah those seem like more violent crimes. But what about things like a cop asking someone if they're 'high' and they say no? I am sure aspies could be capable of that. Either way the point is people with or without aspergers can lie but maybe the motivations are different, but then that varies depending on the individual.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 12:13 pm

aghogday wrote:
It is obvious that the shooter had the potential of killing people with bombs, but he chose the avenue of the AR15 instead. There is no way to say what he would have used if the alternative of the AR15 would not have been available or a gun like that, but a potential ban would have resulted in fewer avenues of choices and as well as easy access to the weapons.

His fewer choices would have been illegal guns or explosives. He had explosives, it's true we have no way of knowing what he would have done without a legal gun but it's not unreasonable to think he might have used a bomb instead. My point being that the ultimate goal would be to reduce or eliminate killings and a gun ban would probably not had much affect in this circumstance. The suspect is an intelligent person that seems to have put some thought into his actions.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 1:01 pm

Historically, most of these mass killers TO tend to be paranoid schizophrenics. I am not aware of any sociopaths ever having committed this kind of crime. They DO commit murder, but its for women or money, other material or mundane excuses & motives.
When we own up in this country that SOME (very FEW!) Mentally ill people DO comit truly horrible crimes because of their delusions & anger we will be one step closer to ending this (its not a common thing, jus played up by the media)type of thing. Enforcing the Brady Law likely could have prevented this tragedy. It certainly could have prevented the one last year in Arizona. That person was a paranoid schizophrenic that was clearly going off the rails, yet no one got him treatment & he had access to some pretty potent firearms. Arizona set the scene for their own tragedy..
No, this guy did not have Asperger's that much is true. However, let's not lie to each other just because we fear being lumped in with one type of ill person. Delusional people, can, will, & DO commit henious acts of extreme violence if allowed access to the weapons that allow them to do so.. A person with a box-cutter, knife, even an axe could be stopped with a taser or pepper spray. Not so a guy with an auto-matic firearm!

Sincerely,
Matthew

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

Matt62 wrote:
Enforcing the Brady Law likely could have prevented this tragedy.

I assume you are referring to the NICS check. How was it not enforced?

Matt62 wrote:
A person with a box-cutter, knife, even an axe could be stopped with a taser or pepper spray. Not so a guy with an auto-matic firearm!

We don't know if anyone tried. It certainly would have been possible but risky. I believe response with a firearm would have been more appropriate.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 1:33 pm

Dillogic wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

Sweetleaf,

Charles VI of France, Juana I of Castile and Henry VI of England were said to be mentally ill. All of them were known as 'the Mad'. Well, Charles and Juana, not Henry. They never went on rampage killings. Charles did kill a few people the first time he had an attack. It took everyone by surprise. He was convinced that he was made of glass and would break if anyone touched him. Juana went outside in the biting cold and screamed at the gates of the palace. It took quite a while for them to lead her back inside. Then again, Juana may not even have been mad. At least not as mad as they say, since neither her husband, her father, or her son managed to force her to abdicate. And in a way, Henry's reign was one of the causes of the Wars of the Roses. Not the only cause, but the fact that he wasn't a very good king certainly contributed significantly. The Duke of York tried to get him to fix the government, but Henry just wouldn't or couldn't. Eventually, it seemed that the only solution was for the Duke to exercise his claim to the throne, which was much stronger than Henry's. He was more fit to lead a religious life than to rule. Charles VI was his maternal grandfather.

I think rampage killings go more hand in hand with being human.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 1:40 pm

persian85033 wrote:
I think rampage killings go more hand in hand with being human.

I'm inclined to disagree. I don't think the average person is capable of doing something like that.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2012, 3:13 pm

Quote:
The shooting suspect in the Colorado theater rampage was seeing a university psychiatrist specializing in schizophrenia in the weeks before the July 20 attack, according to court records released Friday.

James Holmes was seeing Lynne Fenton, the director of student mental health services at the University of Colorado and a medical school professor. Holmes was a first-year graduate student in a neuroscience Ph.D. program.

source
There you have it.

And according to this site she can diagnose paranoid schizophrenia (among other things, I guess).

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 3:30 pm

Good find there.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 3:43 pm

Wow, I bet the psychiatrist feels terrible right now.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 4:12 pm

Verdandi wrote:
aghogday wrote:
And as I stated in the last post, there is no evidence that Holmes harmed anyone as an adolescent or areas of concern that would indicate that he was at risk for that type of behavior at that point in his life, which has been reported by experts, in criminal profiling, already linked in this thread.

Note that such evidence is not required, but simply indicative. Ted Bundy didn't have an apparent history of that type of behavior either.

I wasn't suggesting this was evidence as to whether or not he was a sociopath, as other have stated that in the media, I was just pointing to the fact that he was not evidenced an adolescent engaged in behaviors that were harmful.

And, the last bit of information appears incredibly sad, as it appears he was reaching out for help for his condition, whatever it was, and was not able to find an effective solution for support, before it was too late, not only for him, but for many others. Still not likely we will hear a diagnosis for some time to come, but the signs are becoming fairly clear.