Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 6:05 pm

I still have pica, and oddly it never started until I was 19, likely in response to some stressful life events
It's not chronic like on "My Strange Addiction", and I will do it in private as a way to concentrate and focus.
I eat one very particular inedible thing (which I'm choosing not to reveal) which is not very harmful and has not caused me any problems (so far).

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

mmonroe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2012, 7:48 pm

I remember my mom and dad being concerned because I would eat dirt as a young child. They took me to the doctor and he said that I was iron deficient. That actually made sense, so it didn't trigger further concern. I distinctly remember being finicky about the dirt I ate. It had to be from one certain area of the yard where no one had access, so I felt as though the dirt was clean so it seemed safe. I found that funny even as a child..."clean dirt". My older sister teased me by telling other kids that I would eat mud pies, but I found the thought of mud pies to be utterly disgusting. Almost as funny as "clean dirt".

I also chewed on the wooden arms of our couch, as well as the wooden coffee table. I remember that the feeling of the wood on my teeth was very comforting to me. I did this without too much thought while watching TV. I just discussed this with my sister and mom about two weeks ago. It was comical, because they always thought that the teeth marks were from the dog. We then imagined how the dog was probably cursing at me all those years for making her look bad.

This is the first time I've heard about Pica, but now I can make some sense out of these strange things.

canobiecrazy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jul 2012, 10:48 pm

I get cravings for wood occasionally. I dunno what it is about wood, but it just smells so delicious and the texture isn't that bad.

oh goodness, sawdust. :oops:

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2012, 6:56 pm

I remember that tasting a terminal on a nine volt battery resulted in an interesting tangy electric-y taste. I don't do that anymore.

Wulfart

29 Aug 2012, 1:48 pm

I used to eat paper, and gnaw on pencils, pens and chew rubber. I also ate the stems of 3 leaf clovers.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:16 pm

I would never swallow stuff but I would chew on the weirdest things.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 2:08 pm

just a note, if anyone happens to spot a known troll spamming the forums, please report them to a moderator. applicable posts have been removed. thank you!

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2012, 2:12 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I didn't eat them as such, but I chewed on pens, pencils, my hair, my fingernails, and paper. I forget what else.

I chew on everything, pens, blankets, my finger, my nails, and a lot of other things. I carry pocket combs with me and chew on them, and when bits of plastic come off, I usually do end up swallowing them, so I guess that counts.

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2012, 2:14 pm

Wulfart wrote:
I used to eat paper, and gnaw on pencils, pens and chew rubber. I also ate the stems of 3 leaf clovers.

I don't know what kind of clover they have where you live, but here it isn't true clover: it's sorrel, which looks like shamrocks. You would know by the sour flavor, and it is edible. In Hungary and Poland, they make soups out of it.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 2:36 pm

I used to ask my mom to play with bread dough, go outside, play with it, but also eat some of that. I also would eat raw cookie dough whenever I made cookies with my mom. Actually a fun memory. :)

I used to put my dogs' food in the water and eat that, and also eat it dry. I think I put it in the water to make it easier to chew.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 2:49 pm

Where do I start?

Wood varnish at three, solem-and-seal (an inedible black berry) by five, cat food, dog food, rhubarb leaves (they had a tangy flavor that I liked),
raw ground beef, raw cookie dough (but who doesn't?), red ants and a ladybug. I've been told I used to eat plastic beads, though I can't remember. I also used to suck on a plastic ruler and small iron screws.

Most of the time, I only tasted, never swallowed, though there were a few exceptions.

Nowadays it's only raw kitchen ingredients: salt, cream of tartar, lemon juice, and yes, spray mace. NEVER put that in chili!

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

06 Oct 2012, 6:06 pm

No, I never did that. Thankfully.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 7:02 pm

I remember when I was a child, this was a funny random memory. I was maybe 6 at the time. My great aunt had this rotten calendar on her basement wall from 1955 (the year was 1990 or even 1991), and the rubbery ink letters were dangling off of the barely held together paper. I started pulling off numbers and eating them. I don't know what compelled me to do it, and man did she hate me for it. :lol: If she cared about how the calendar looked, she would have taken care of it better than letting it deteriorate to the mess it was. Kinda like how my GRANDMA'S VIOLIN she kept when it wasn't hers, and hung on a wall exposed to the elements as a "decoration" when my great grandfather made the thing and she didn't ever play it. Aka, this lady was kinda a b*tch anyway and later slipped up through hearsay that since I was pregnant at 20 unmarried that I was going to hell according to her (like it even mattered). I just remember sitting there eating numbers as a child and her screaming at me on the basement steps with her hair curlers, and handbag toting her ankle-biter Pomeranian dog on her arm.

I was also a dirt eater, and I liked chewing on (silver) maple sticks from the back yard, as well as sucking on rocks. Truth be told, I was probably deficient in a whole bunch of minerals because my family didn't have a lot of high quality food growing up.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 8:37 pm

I don't know if I ever "ate" anything inedible, but for some reason I liked tasting Pay - Doh when I was a little kid. :eew: I also liked chewing on my plastic toys, especially if they were PVC and were painted....I liked feel of the painted plastic between my teeth. I still have some of the toys I chewed on as a kid (kept them around for sentimental reasons) and they still have patches where the paint was chewed off.

I sometimes wonder if I accidentally ingested some of the paint from the toys and that contributed to my current issues. Oh well. :roll:

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes