Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2012, 6:55 pm

Does or did anyone ever do this? I don't anymore but did as a child. I ate my father's pipe tobacco and that white paste we used in kindergarten. When my grandfather made meatballs, I stole bits of the raw meat. I've also eaten the foods of all my pets, including fish and turtle food! Seems gross to me now but I thought it tasted great when I was 7 or 8! Well, ok, pet food is edible but still...

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 6:59 pm

I once ate raw bacon fat right out the fridge when I was about 6. My mum swears I didn't, but I have a very vivid memory of her in the kitchen and me sneaking some raw bacon fat xD

I don't remember being ill after that if I did get ill though. I just have this one picture of that scene that happened, like a stand still in your memory xD

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2012, 7:17 pm

I remember eating fish food, cat food, chicken feed, and dog food when I was a kid. Out of all of those listed, fish food tasted the best.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Jul 2012, 7:29 pm

I didn't eat them as such, but I chewed on pens, pencils, my hair, my fingernails, and paper. I forget what else.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm

Aren't we auties and aspies the strangest lot?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 10:43 pm

As a kid I remember once eating bits of crumbly rocks, chewing the heads off unlit matches (they had this tart taste that I actually liked) and I used to eat chalk because I thought it would make my voice sound softer and prettier because of a fairy tale my teacher read to us. I used to chew the erasers off my pencils and once I actually drank some white glue! It's a wonder I never got sick or poisoned! Of course I would never eat such things now, we're lucky if actual food doesn't kill us now. I read that pregnant women sometimes get cravings for inedible stuff, too. I once read that a woman said she once craved gasoline until after her baby was born! (she never actually drank it)

Sholf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2012, 2:44 am

As a kid, I used to suck on coins and other small metal objects, chew paper, lick hair, chew pens, pencils, and thin bits of plastic, and suck on my clothes or bits of string. And by, "kid", I mean, "up to puberty". I sometimes still suck coins.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 3:27 am

Verdandi wrote:
I didn't eat them as such, but I chewed on pens, pencils, my hair, my fingernails, and paper. I forget what else.

I can definitely relate to that! I also used to chew on my bed sheets and cut slits in them with my incisors as a child. Styrofoam cups were another favorite, as were plastic cups. I had quite the oral fixation when I was young and had long since forgotten it. Even today, I still chew on pen caps and the like. I also like to bite off pieces of the ink cartridge in my pens and chew on them for a bit. This lets me still chew on plastic but without the pen looking gross to anyone else who may use it. This is really important to me as I deliver pizza for a living and need to keep up certain appearances.

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2012, 6:22 am

outofplace: You reminded me that I used to suck on the edge of my bedsheet too! About the styrofoam cups, I imagine that being like fingernails down a blackboard...squeaky and creepy.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 6:33 am

I still suck on my hair

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 8:34 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
chewing the heads off unlit matches (they had this tart taste that I actually liked)

I preferred the burnt ones. They had a smoky, salty flavor. They went best with fresh rainwater slurped off the porch railings. :D

Also, styrofoam had just the ideal texture, very toothsome.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2012, 8:44 am

Verdandi wrote:

Sylph
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2012, 1:55 pm

When I was younger up until high school I did, I believe I still do mainly dog food as a snack. I do remember eating, turtle food, dog food, fish flakes, chalk, grass, and ice. I had also chewed on branches and rocks.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 2:13 pm

Imweird wrote:
Does or did anyone ever do this? I don't anymore but did as a child. I ate my father's pipe tobacco and that white paste we used in kindergarten. When my grandfather made meatballs, I stole bits of the raw meat. I've also eaten the foods of all my pets, including fish and turtle food! Seems gross to me now but I thought it tasted great when I was 7 or 8! Well, ok, pet food is edible but still...

eating raw beef isn't actually inedible. Bloody beef is actually good for you.

I haven't eaten items, but I did used to chew on pencils and pens and the other day I pulled out a plastic bowl to cook ramen in the microwave and started chewing on the edge while I looked for stuff and got distracted. I chewed it pretty good, the edge I mean, but I didn't eat it.

I have eaten food people think its inedible though. Like tuna from a can with salt and pepper over plain white rice. Or plain jalapenos.

And I did chew on a pink eraser once, it did not taste good.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 2:40 pm

I did eat chalk and paper until age 10 I guess.
I didn't eat pet-food (I had cats, fishes, birds and turtles), because of the strong smell which I disliked except for the chalk-sticks of the budgerigars.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 2:51 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
As a kid I remember once eating bits of crumbly rocks, chewing the heads off unlit matches (they had this tart taste that I actually liked) and I used to eat chalk because I thought it would make my voice sound softer and prettier because of a fairy tale my teacher read to us. I used to chew the erasers off my pencils and once I actually drank some white glue! It's a wonder I never got sick or poisoned! Of course I would never eat such things now, we're lucky if actual food doesn't kill us now. I read that pregnant women sometimes get cravings for inedible stuff, too. I once read that a woman said she once craved gasoline until after her baby was born! (she never actually drank it)

I had thought that matches were highly poisonous. Your post prompted me to look it up. Apparently they used to be, but because they were so dangerous, they stopped making them with that material. Modern matches are not poisonous. ...I guess that means you'll be ok! :)

I think pregnant women sometimes get pica because their iron levels get really low. Taking iron supplements usually corrects it. When I was pregnant I just craved fruit.