Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ItsJustAmber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2012, 3:09 pm

I appreciate everyone's input let's keep the thread going!

Didgeeeee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jul 2012, 8:49 pm

Getting a proper diagnosis can make a big difference in treatment and outcome so I think an assessment is worth it. If your psychiatrist is unwilling to consider Asperger’s Syndrome, you should seek a second opinion. Clients know a lot more than most psychiatrists are willing to admit. Often, the ‘discovery’ is made by the adult on their own, anyway. In most cases, a self diagnosis turns out to be correct.

Nearly all my diagnoses were inaccurate. The following tried but failed to explain me and my troubles, except for dysthymia: bipolar II, psychotic disorder NOS, schizophrenia (possible), cyclothymia, PTSD, dysthymia, & borderline personality disorder.

The PTSD diagnosis perplexed me, because I never went through any traumatic experiences. This diagnosis was based on my inability to describe my feelings and hyperacusis. The psychiatrist mistook my startled reactions (overreaction) to abrupt noises as a sign of hypervigilance.

Borderline personality disorder was the most absurd diagnosis. No one had any idea what was going on so they relegated me to Axis II. This diagnosis actually prevented access to treatment.

When I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, I felt relieved! I also have generalized anxiety disorder. Now, I am in therapy and actually seeing and feeling results for the first time.

Go and get assessed.