Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ItsJustAmber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2012, 1:39 am

I wanted to know how many of you received misdiagnoses before the AS diagnosis? I am diagnosed with Bipolar 1, Adhd, and Ptsd. I just don't think it fits and I really believe I am an aspie.
Does anyone else have PTSD and Aspergers? If so could you please tell me how to differentiate between the two so I can calm my mind a little before speaking with my psychiatrist about this.
Thank you and sorry for any grammatical errors :)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 1:58 am

My mother told me all the labels I had before were all misdiagnoses even though I did truly have them. They just didn't explain everything and she knew there was more going on than just that. I hear this is very common in AS, we get misdiagnosed with ADHD, dyspraxia, anxiety, OCD, sensory processing disorder and we or our parents know there is something else going on because those labels don't explain everything even though most do truly have them. I am not sure about the ADHD part.

My labels were:

Cluttering disorder
Language Processing disorder
Dyspraxia
Suspected OCD
Sensory Processing disorder
ADD
Communication disorder
Behavior problems
And they said I had very poor social skills

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 1:59 am

Schizoid and Avoidant Personality Disorders and ADHD. The schizoidness may hold a bit of truth but I rarely avoid anything. Also, I still take medication for ADHD and it helps so I do believe I have that. I can't help with your other question, sorry.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 3:33 am

My official childhood diagnoses were ADHD and extremely low self-esteem. I still agree with both of them but feel Asperger's may be a better fit. (If not, then at least here on WP I can see that my life experiences rhyme with more people than I ever would have thought.)

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 4:08 am

My misdiagnoses were:
ADHD, Borderline and schizophrenia.
Well the last two were just discussed actually. Both more or less at the same time from different doctors.

Well, I have some symptoms what you could consider as ADHD, but it's better described as autism and the other two diagnoses were just wrong.
But the fact that I had a trauma with anxiety and OCD symptoms at that time, but didn't talked about it, misleaded them.
I still have it a bit, but it's getting a lot better since a view months.
End of september it's going to be two years the trauma occoured.
I hope it's totally gone (or most of the symptoms) in a view months, because it got so much better in just a view months recently.

Many psychiatrists try to avoid the term "Asperger" oder "autism", thinking it would help more diagnosing the person with something else. But they also don't recognice it very often, because autism is very often "hidden". You can't see the social understanding problems, just how the person behaves.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:00 am

League_Girl wrote:

My labels were:

Cluttering disorder
Language Processing disorder
Dyspraxia
Suspected OCD
Sensory Processing disorder
ADD
Communication disorder
Behavior problems
And they said I had very poor social skills

Aren't a lot of these labels also found in people who just have ASD?

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2012, 7:29 am

I got ADHD, Bipolar, borderline and PTSD. I guess I might have some of these conditions but I don't want to think too much about them. The last psychologist I visited helped me immensely. He said I could be on the autistic scale but he was hard to reach. I had only a few sittings with him and he told me he won't give me any medicine but asked me to meditate and come back for sessions with him regularly. Anyway the point is I never received a proper diagnosis.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:39 am

ItsJustAmber wrote:
I wanted to know how many of you received misdiagnoses before the AS diagnosis? I am diagnosed with Bipolar 1, Adhd, and Ptsd. I just don't think it fits and I really believe I am an aspie.
Does anyone else have PTSD and Aspergers? If so could you please tell me how to differentiate between the two so I can calm my mind a little before speaking with my psychiatrist about this.
Thank you and sorry for any grammatical errors :)

You might find this thread interesting; http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt171973.html
It is about selfdiagnosis errors before a conclusion of AS.

GreenShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2012, 7:47 am

Social phobia, schizoid disorder, depression, emotional instability and many more... too much to list them all

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 9:46 am

My daughter was misdiagnosed three times before we got the AS dx. Age 5: The first psychologist said she had nothing, just that she was too intelligent and intelligent people usually have odd behaviors. Age 6: The second psychologist said she had "Oppositional defiance disorder" and it was mostly because she was only child and she was basically spoiled. Age 7: The third psychologist diagnosed her with ADHD, put her on medication and started therapy for ADHD. Neither the therapy or medication work. Age 8: A therapist, after one session, said our daughter showed all the characteristics of someone with Aspergers. She referred us to a neurologist to get a diagnosis. She was finally diagnosed with AS and started therapy for AS. Thats why I do not trust psychologists anymore.

iridescence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2012, 11:00 am

I'm not diagnosed with AS but I have a lot of questions and I feel concerned about misdiagnoses.

Last autumn, after about one year and a half of therapy, my psychologist wondered if I had autistic traits. He ask me some questions that drew my attention (like if I was bothered by labels on clothes when I was young / that was the case and I didn't know that exist other people who had experienced this and other things related). Following the suggestion of my psychologist, I read about light autism (Tony Atwood, Liane Hollyday, Rudy Simone and other books). I don't feel concerned by the typical way presenting AS, but I found a lot of similarities about the female presentation (more subtle or silent presentation) and the way the people who have high IQ compensate (I get a test when I was 20 (I'm 40 now) to be in mensa, and, I was accepted in).

Some months later, my psychiatrist (a colleague of my psychologist) seemed irritated when I told him about the hypothesis of having autistic traits and the research I did. He ask me no questions about this, he just told me that I don't have it.

Like some people here, I read that there has sometimes misdiagnosis in case of adult with mild autism, and particuliary with female.

I've been diagnosed with panic disorder, agoraphobia, dysthimia, social phobia, dissociation...

I think those things are reals, but they don't explain all my difficulties and my particular functionning. So I'm looking to see what is possible to do in my situation, to get assessment with someone who know well adults, females, with high IQ.

P.S. Sorry for mistakes, english is not my usual language. I hope you understand well what I have writed.

ItsJustAmber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2012, 2:35 pm

I just wanted to thank everyone for responding to my post. I decided not to bring up the aspergers issue with my psychiatrist because he wasn't very receptive the first time I brought it up. I have to made up my mind to self diagnose.

Thanks again! :lol:

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2012, 2:42 pm

In my opinion, it sounds like you may be on the Autistic Spectrum. I don't know how old you are but think back to when you where a child. What where you like then? Any developmental problems?

ItsJustAmber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2012, 2:59 pm

Hello Again! I am 31 years old and I did have alot of trauma in the early years. My brother died when I was 5, my father was a drug addict and so abusive my family had to live in a safe house just to get by and when I was 17 I was raped. That is why I was diagnosed with PTSD.
I was a very clumsy child, sports were very tough for me. I have always been shy and preferred to do things independently as opposed to playing with other children. I only had one true friend in my childhood. I collected things but rarely played with them( specifically dolls). My true passion was reading and I could lock myself in my room and not leave if I was allowed too. My teachers said I was "wise beyond my years" I enjoyed rules and didn't like changes in my routine. It made me very uneasy.
I hope this is enough information and on the RDOS test I received 185/ 200 and the eyes test was only 19. The AQ test 40.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 3:02 pm

ItsJustAmber wrote:
I decided not to bring up the aspergers issue with my psychiatrist because he wasn't very receptive the first time I brought it up. I have to made up my mind to self diagnose.

It might be wise to self diagnose at first, but if you reach the conclusion that you have AS, then I would recommend getting another psychiatrist who knows something about Aspergers, or atleast are more receptive to his/her patients suggestions. Dismissing input from patients are never a good sign, I would change just based on that alone.

ItsJustAmber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2012, 3:09 pm

I appreciate everyone's input let's keep the thread going!