If James Holmes has Asperger's, the rest of us are DOOMED.

Page 1 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:55 pm

At least that's what I'm really scared of right now. The media is going to paint all people with Asperger's with the same proverbial paint brush if James Holmes has it or will use it as an excuse for his "unusual" behavior. People are going to think we are all sociopaths and that our odd obsessions, lack of empathy or lack of social skills will make us all deranged killers or the potential to be. They will judge and hate us even more than they did originally. Then parents will try even harder to try "cures" that will make their kids sick or even die because of some quack-doctor's recent so-called research online. I'm also scared that I may be a potential killer myself, especially when I think about my behavior just before I was diagnosed, and shortly afterwards, and the angry, shocking things I've been saying on this site and elsewhere. :( I've been living in fear of ending up back in the hospital or even prison for years and think I'm a walking time bomb. One day I might just "explode" and do something horrible! Scared. :(

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:59 pm

I thought they said he was schizophrenic?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 8:02 pm

Throwing everyone with AS in the hospitals is not practical, and I'm pretty sure people in Canada would second guess any attempt by the government to throw people in jail without charges. There has already been at least one active shooter that had AS, who even posted on this site briefly, and that blew over in the media relatively smoothly.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 8:13 pm

LennytheWicked wrote:
I thought they said he was schizophrenic?

I think that is just an assumption as well.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 8:45 pm

If he has ASD and there is public backlash against it, it sucks for those officially diagnosed. This is yet another reason to avoid getting diagnosed unless you really need the help.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2012, 8:49 pm

you can read an offensive article and watch the offensive video here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 ... 94599.html

Made me angry.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 10:54 pm

Perhaps he doesn't have a disorder at all.

In which case, all the people without a disorder should clearly be locked up, because they are all dangerous. :)

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 1:20 am

ImageSTOP THE PRESSES!! ! A TOTALLY CLUELESS REPORTER SHOOTS THEIR MOUTH OFF AND ENDS UP LOOKING ret*d!! !Image

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

indiana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2012, 9:01 am

Valkyrie2012 wrote:

Made me angry.

Thanks for making this article and video available. Yes it is offensive and I don't know what he means by:

"The growing Autism epidemic is a tremendous burden for children, parents and loved ones to endure..."

Autism in all it's forms has always been here - the latest research apparently shows that 1 in 100 across all age ranges have some form of autism so talking about an 'epidemic' is scare-mongering as well as inaccurate.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 9:19 am

indiana wrote:
Valkyrie2012 wrote:

Made me angry.

Thanks for making this article and video available. Yes it is offensive and I don't know what he means by:

"The growing Autism epidemic is a tremendous burden for children, parents and loved ones to endure..."

Autism in all it's forms has always been here - the latest research apparently shows that 1 in 100 across all age ranges have some form of autism so talking about an 'epidemic' is scare-mongering as well as inaccurate.

Buried in the Autistic Population are some of our most creative and important thinkers. Some, but not all.

ruveyn

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 11:03 am

Why exactly would "we" be doomed?

Last I heard, we're all innocent until proven guilty.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 11:12 am

ruveyn wrote:
indiana wrote:
Valkyrie2012 wrote:

Made me angry.

Buried in the Autistic Population are some of our most creative and important thinkers. Some, but not all.

ruveyn

Doesn't one of Joe Scarborough's kids have Asperger's?

JustEmbers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2012, 1:31 pm

This issue pisses me off and freaks me out. We, in general, have enough trouble making friends, so if people start thinking we're all potential spree killers, it's only going to make it that much harder.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 5:24 pm

Holmes is 24 years old. Therefore, everyone who is 24 is dangerous.
Also, lock up Katie Holmes.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 5:36 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Holmes is 24 years old. Therefore, everyone who is 24 is dangerous.
Also, lock up Katie Holmes.

I'll take her into protective custody. :twisted:

zaidjit
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2012, 7:08 pm

I would have to have a complete psychotic break from reality and a total change of personality before going on a killing spree. It is not in me to cause that much pain and suffering, much less hurting a single person.

That is me. I may be horrible at social empathy or understanding the social games people play, but I am very attune to suffering. I may seem cold because I am not crying with everyone else over month old kittens dieing in front of us. But I will grieve later after I have done my job to try and save them.

I personally do not expect a backlash on my life. But that is only me and not other people.