If James Holmes has Asperger's, the rest of us are DOOMED.

Page 4 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2012, 2:55 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Fact: Anybody could be the next deranged shooter. ANYBODY. Denying that fact, trying to prevent it by damning the folks deemed to be "high-risk," just raises the danger factor.

There's help, and then there's help. You know??

Sounds legit.
collectoritis wrote:
"James Holmes has Aspie written all over him. ALL over him"

Hit the shower Jimmy ! :lol:

What does that mean?

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 7:53 pm

Yeah... I highly doubt he is in some ways.
For a start, there was no mention of any drug usage which hasn't been made clear.
Also his behaviour was too much of acting out on an impulse than anything.
Plus even if he is, I doubt the world will turn round and say Kill all with ASD be it diagnosed or not... mainly because it'll come back to everyone anyway so in that sense...
NO-ONE IS SAFE! HAHAHA!
Either way I don't see how any murderers should have any disorders or disabilities if they go off on one and kill for the pleasure.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 8:01 pm

PastFixations wrote:
Yeah... I highly doubt he is in some ways.
For a start, there was no mention of any drug usage which hasn't been made clear.
Also his behaviour was too much of acting out on an impulse than anything.
Plus even if he is, I doubt the world will turn round and say Kill all with ASD be it diagnosed or not... mainly because it'll come back to everyone anyway so in that sense...
NO-ONE IS SAFE! HAHAHA!
Either way I don't see how any murderers should have any disorders or disabilities if they go off on one and kill for the pleasure.

No, but murderers - and/or their lawyers - certainly try to pull their chestnuts out of the fire by claiming all sorts of disorders, including Asperger's. After the Virginia Tech shooting, once it was learned that the shooter may have been autistic, there were parents flipping out about how they had to find a way to keep their kids with autism and Asperger's from turning into killers.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 8:59 am

Hah! One example out of how many of us living in the world?
Just because quite a big amount of people in the spectrum are possibly aggressive and violent, doesn't mean we all think of killing people and turning into violent thugs.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 2:33 pm

There's now a documentary about the Colorado incidents I've just noticed...
There's a topic on this on Television, Film and Video for those who are interested... which was done by Yours Truly.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 5:03 pm

PastFixations wrote:
There's now a documentary about the Colorado incidents I've just noticed...
There's a topic on this on Television, Film and Video for those who are interested... which was done by Yours Truly.

Neato!

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2012, 8:52 pm

Schizophrenic people and other delusional people don't have to take medication if they don't want to, for one thing, which is too bad for those who need medication for safety purposes.

Assassin-type mass murders are usually carried out by regular neurotypical White men in their late 20s who have had a series of life disappointments. It just doesn't seem that way right now because we've had some big news breakers lately with delusional guys.

Simon Baron-Cohen wrote a book called The Science of Evil (if I'm remembering correctly) about what makes people able to do terrible things. He contrasted autistic people with other types of people who lack empathy in order to determine the true significance of empathy. One of the things he found was that people on the spectrum replace empathy with sympathy, which functions in almost the same way, socially. So generally, having either empathy OR sympathy makes you a good person, but if you don't have either you are more likely to have a disorder that makes you a bad person.

Here's another way to look at it:

Empathy: I can't look at a person or animal who is hurt because it makes me feel the same hurt.
Sympathy: I don't like looking at a person or animal who is hurt because I don't want them to be hurt.
Psychopath Noncriminal: I feel nothing when I see people or animals hurt.
Psychopath Criminal: I like seeing people and/or animals hurt.

Before I read this book I had overestimated the function of empathy. But really you don't have to be able to feel what someone else is feeling or "connect" with them in order to want them to be treated well.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 9:27 pm

Isn't empathy strictly the recognition of how others are feeling? When did the definition change to recognizing those feelings and being affected by it? Empathy and sympathy seem to be almost the same in the above example.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 9:29 pm

VAGraduateStudent wrote:
Schizophrenic people and other delusional people don't have to take medication if they don't want to, for one thing, which is too bad for those who need medication for safety purposes.

Assassin-type mass murders are usually carried out by regular neurotypical White men in their late 20s who have had a series of life disappointments. It just doesn't seem that way right now because we've had some big news breakers lately with delusional guys.

Simon Baron-Cohen wrote a book called The Science of Evil (if I'm remembering correctly) about what makes people able to do terrible things. He contrasted autistic people with other types of people who lack empathy in order to determine the true significance of empathy. One of the things he found was that people on the spectrum replace empathy with sympathy, which functions in almost the same way, socially. So generally, having either empathy OR sympathy makes you a good person, but if you don't have either you are more likely to have a disorder that makes you a bad person.

Here's another way to look at it:

Empathy: I can't look at a person or animal who is hurt because it makes me feel the same hurt.
Sympathy: I don't like looking at a person or animal who is hurt because I don't want them to be hurt.
Psychopath Noncriminal: I feel nothing when I see people or animals hurt.
Psychopath Criminal: I like seeing people and/or animals hurt.

Before I read this book I had overestimated the function of empathy. But really you don't have to be able to feel what someone else is feeling or "connect" with them in order to want them to be treated well.

Very insightful.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2012, 7:08 am

VAGraduateStudent wrote:

From what I've read they're either psychopaths, suffer from a psychotic disorder or traumatised or a combination of all of them. It's not lately, unless almost 20 years of history of rampage shooters is "lately".

Anyways,
Quote:
On the day in June that James Holmes failed the crucial oral examination for his neuroscience program at the University of Colorado Denver, he bought an assault-style rifle.

Also in June, the same month that professors told Holmes that perhaps he wasn't cut out for a career in neuroscience, he quietly stockpiled explosives.

Holmes also made threats in June that prompted CU officials to contact police.

That confluence of events was laid out Thursday in an Arapahoe County courtroom by the lead prosecutor in the case against Holmes, the suspect in the Aurora theater massacre.

In a previous hearing, Holmes' attorney Daniel King has suggested that his client is mentally ill. Prosecutors, meanwhile, on Thursday portrayed Holmes as isolated and dejected after the collapse of his goal to become a neuroscientist.

Holmes failed his oral exam June 7, Pearson said. That is the same day authorities have said Holmes bought a semiautomatic rifle, one of three guns officials say was used in the attack.

Also in June, Pearson said Holmes made threats that so worried CU officials that they contacted police. She didn't specify what the threats were.

Aurora police Chief Daniel Oates said Thursday his department was not notified of any threats, either by CU leaders or by the campus police department.

"We didn't know about any of this before the shooting," Oates said.

King suggested the prosecution has its facts wrong. "I would question the validity of some of that," King said of Pearson's statements.

During the hearing, Pearson said Holmes was banned from the CU campus and had his key-card access to secure areas of buildings on the Anschutz Medical Campus revoked. But CU spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery asserted that neither was true.

Montgomery said Holmes voluntarily withdrew from the neuroscience program. His key card was deactivated after his withdrawal, as it would be for any student, Montgomery said.

source

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 12:12 pm

Taking a stab in the dark as an amateur, I'd think that his failure in the oral exam was the stresser that sent his already fragile psyche over the edge.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2012, 12:36 pm

I'd say that this event did play a role here but he began purchasing weapons and Ammo in May.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 12:07 pm

collectoritis wrote:
"James Holmes has Aspie written all over him. ALL over him"

Hit the shower Jimmy ! :lol:

What does that mean?[/quote]

If he had written "Aspie" all over his body with a sharpie.......well , *I* thought it was funny :lol:

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2012, 9:12 pm

As of a few days ago there is no longer doom.... Because we learned that if you move to Norway you only get a month or two in prison for every person you kill.

So if you had AS and did it, they would probably feel bad for you and give you full credit for time served. Now let's get over there and start the massacre!!

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2012, 1:26 pm

collectoritis wrote:
If he had written "Aspie" all over his body with a sharpie.......well , *I* thought it was funny :lol:

Actually, that is funny. :D I just couldn't connect thos words with that picture but now it's clear. Funny.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2012, 10:19 am

Here is an extensive article on James Holmes revealing new information about his mental state, including this:

Quote:
The text message, sent to another graduate student in early July, was cryptic and worrisome. Had she heard of “dysphoric mania,” James Eagan Holmes wanted to know?
The psychiatric condition, a form of bipolar disorder, combines the frenetic energy of mania with the agitation, dark thoughts and in some cases paranoid delusions of major depression.
She messaged back, asking him if dysphoric mania could be managed with treatment. Mr. Holmes replied: “It was,” but added that she should stay away from him “because I am bad news.”

The text also gives new information on what kind of person he is/was or was at least perceived to be and how he behaved, how peers viewed him...etc. Very intresting. If you're interested in the case, you should read it.