Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

shadowboxer
Raven
Raven

27 Jul 2012, 7:34 am

I spent this past weekend at a sci-fi convention. I couldn't help noticing the number of people who were dressed as zombies.

Given recent events, like the attack of Miami's causeway cannibal, and the upcoming release of the latest Resident Evil movie, I was wondering, what would be your weapon of choice to defend yourself against an uprising of the undead? Would you go for rate of fire, long range, or stopping power?

In the interest of practicality, please limit your choices to weapons that can be carried & operated by one person. This eliminates M-134 Miniguns, Mk 19 grenade launchers, & M-2 .50 caliber machine guns.

Here's a zombie survival quiz: http://zomboid.com/zombie/
You scored 77.2%.

Resident Evil trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7LWCKMFKk8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoyMT-7wEqs

Last edited by shadowboxer on 27 Jul 2012, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 8:36 am

My score was 72.6%.

Because the country where I live has strict laws about firearms, there are preciously few of them. There might be one rifle in a secret compartment in the attic if my father lied about getting rid of it when I was young, but that's hardly enough to stop the hordes of undead - after all, this is one of the densest-populated areas in the world. Few people know there is a small marina not too far from my house. I'd probably gather up some supplies from the house and take my parents' car - a relatively large one with a lot of storage and seating space - to that marina, and steal a boat there. It's far away from most houses, and few people know it exists. Plus, it's full of navigational equipment, fuel, communication and emergency supplies.

From that moment on, I'd try to find an estuary and look for other, larger ships there. It would be ideal if my father came with me - he knows how to sail smaller ships, while I've just used simulators. As for my weapon choice, I'd pick a small, relatively quiet and lightweight semi-automatic pistol. If there's a zombie invasion, all you'll do by trying to mow zombies like they do in the movies is empty your gun within five seconds, possibly jamming it, and ring the dinner bell for every zombie in a five-mile radius.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 9:16 am

Can't do the quiz... isn't letting me.
Anyway I'd be using a shotgun. Probably sawn off ones.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 12:13 pm

You scored 51.6%

I actually bought a zombie survival guide book at a book sale earlier this year.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 12:43 pm

shadowboxer wrote:
... This eliminates M-134 Miniguns, Mk 19 grenade launchers, & M-2 .50 caliber machine guns.

Although the weapons you listed as impractical sure are nice to fire, they'd merely serve as a dinner bell (as would any firearm) to the vast horde of Undead traversing the landscape in search of squishy, delicious (hu)man-meats. I'd prefer to stay in a bunker with a lifetime supply of food/medicines/water/etc. than deal with zombies. If I had to go on Twinkie runs, I'd bring something quiet with no need to reload. Swords, skillets, bats, etc. A gun is nice for that situation in which neither of the aforementioned melee weapons would prove useful. Since I'm not terribly into pistols, I'd bring the good ole Avtomat Kalashnikova 47 (which I for some odd reason named Heinrich, a German name 8O).

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 12:50 pm

I think it depends on where you are. If you are in the city then you are pretty much screwed. Too many potential zombies around you to kill them all. Even if you had a belt fed machine gun like a ma deuce, it's not likely you could carry enough ammo to get out alive. (Then again, it's not likely you could fire the thing on the move either, unless you were in a group and had it mounted on a vehicle).

Now if you were in a small town, that's different. For that I would probably go with a full auto AK-74 with a 100 round drum magazine (illegal to own, even in the USA). Why not an AK-47? Ammo weight. The AK-74 uses Warsaw Pact 5.45 and it's a lighter weight round than the 7.62 used in the AK-47 and AK-59 (AKM) (and SKS), so you can carry more of it. Plus, in terms of reliability, the AK is usually better than the AR-15/M16. It's actually part of the reason the Aurora theater shooting wasn't worse. The AR he was shooting with fortunately jammed. You don't want a jammed rifle when zombies are coming at you. For that reason alone you should choose something designed by Mikhail Kalashnikov over something designed by Eugene Stoner.

My score? 62.1%. I gotta start doing some cardio!

Last edited by outofplace on 29 Jul 2012, 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 1:00 pm

Zombies are technically a waste of ammunition.

It's gangs of humans [who want to steal your stuff] that you need to worry about.

As per firearm choice though, a simple .22LR bolt gun with a 4 power scope. Lots of ammunition, quiet, accurate, and powerful enough for what you need it for.

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

John Deere combine.

If the problem is hordes, you need a tool for the job. If it's 1 or two stragglers, probably a Katana and a longbow, backed up with a silenced AR15 chambered in .308 shooting subsonic rounds.

shadowboxer
Raven
Raven

27 Jul 2012, 1:31 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Zombies are technically a waste of ammunition.

It's gangs of humans [who want to steal your stuff] that you need to worry about.

As per firearm choice though, a simple .22LR bolt gun with a 4 power scope. Lots of ammunition, quiet, accurate, and powerful enough for what you need it for.

I'm not sure if a .22 is the best tool for this situation, but you have a good point.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

74.5%

The best weapon for zombies... 14.5" barrel auto M4.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 2:03 pm

.22LR from a rifle will go through both sides of a human skull out to its effective range. That's enough when you're picking and choosing your targets 100 meters away from a safe vantage point (zombies can't climb).

A shotgun would come in handy for up close encounters, but if you let zombies get that close, something is going wrong.

Dealing with the living gangs is a problem that there's no easy answer to.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 2:15 pm

Here's why guns are absolutely useless in most cases. There are six billion people, most of whom are zombies in such a hypothetical event. You'll never have enough bullets to kill even a fraction. And if you fire a gun, you'll attract more of them. You're just hitting at a beehive until you're killed by the bees. The best thing you can hope for is survive and make it to a less-crowded part of the world, like Siberia or a Canadian forest, and setting up a camp there. There will be few zombies, and all you'll need to do is set up a supply of food and clean drinking water the way the original inhabitants did for centuries.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 2:19 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
Here's why guns are absolutely useless in most cases. There are six billion people, most of whom are zombies in such a hypothetical event. You'll never have enough bullets to kill even a fraction. And if you fire a gun, you'll attract more of them. You're just hitting at a beehive until you're killed by the bees. The best thing you can hope for is survive and make it to a less-crowded part of the world, like Siberia or a Canadian forest, and setting up a camp there. There will be few zombies, and all you'll need to do is set up a supply of food and clean drinking water the way the original inhabitants did for centuries.

Good strategy, but you are ruling out melee weapons.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 2:28 pm

You could carry and stock enough ammunition for bartering and self-defense though, especially if its weight to number of rounds ratio is low.

Actively hunting zombies is an utter waste of time, energy and ammunition, of course (they're literally brain-dead and decomposing, shuffling corpses).

Water and food are the main things you need. Sadly, other humans will be after such too, and humans aren't an honorable bunch for the most part (they'll attempt to take what is yours).

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 2:50 pm

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 2:59 pm

It's generally too late to go looking for firearms once it begins.

However, most people have cars; that's more useful [until the fuel runs out].