Tips For Aspies In Retail/Customer Service Jobs

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blue_stargirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2012, 7:47 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster, by the way!

I graduated college last year, but I can't get a job in my field. I just started working as a sales associate in a department store. I'm already a bit overwhelmed by the position, and it's definitely due to being an Aspie among NT staff and customers. If anyone has any advice on surviving retail or other customer service positions, I would appreciate it (and so would other people in the same situation)!

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2012, 8:01 pm

Been in retail of some sort for 27yrs and it is not easy!
My advice would be if you can try to choose a smaller/less hectic store to limit the volume of customers
you have to deal with. If you are in a large department store try doing stock instead of the front end
I always chose stock or working in several departments to break up the boredom and keep focused on
the work so I would be less aware of how many customers were around me( less anxiety) :D

blue_stargirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2012, 8:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! Right now, I'm at the front of the store, but I'll see if I can be moved to back of the store/stock.

Nikkt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2012, 5:52 am

Alternatively, you could look at it as a learning opportunity. I hated working in retail, absolutely hated it, but I learned some of my best social skills there. Such as how to display active listening without seeming creepy, how to remember people (no good asking the same person the same question - they get annoyed), how to manage people-overload and (probably the most important skill), how to look busy when you're really not (or don't want to be).

So even though you might be feeling overwhelmed, using the job to figure out how best to manage that can benefit you for the rest of your life.

http://linguisticautistic.tumblr.com/

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm

Nikkt wrote:
Alternatively, you could look at it as a learning opportunity. I hated working in retail, absolutely hated it, but I learned some of my best social skills there. Such as how to display active listening without seeming creepy, how to remember people (no good asking the same person the same question - they get annoyed), how to manage people-overload and (probably the most important skill), how to look busy when you're really not (or don't want to be).

So even though you might be feeling overwhelmed, using the job to figure out how best to manage that can benefit you for the rest of your life.

+1

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 7:24 am

blue_stargirl wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion! Right now, I'm at the front of the store, but I'll see if I can be moved to back of the store/stock.

I was hired as a cashier because of my intelligence and friendly demeanor but repeated over and over I would prefer pushing carts or doing stock. It took two years before I got my wish and I was the happiest person in the world when that happened. Looking back, I suppose it's hard to relate to WHY a person with such a high IQ would choose to work alone an a 'blue collar' role rather than with a supportive team that's close to his field of study (Commerce).

rawrness
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2012, 11:57 am

I admire any Aspie who can work in retail. Personally I've never done it - the mere thought of it is daunting enough! I would especially hate to be on customer services having to deal with customer returns or complaints... I am not good with social niceties or confrontation. My ability to think on the spot and dig myself out of a hole is non-existent.

Would those of you who have worked in that sector say it has definitely helped you with social skills? I mean did you feel like because you were in that position, you had to force yourself to communicate in a more NT way? Did it gradually start to feel more "natural" as time passed by?

For that reason alone I've thought about throwing myself in at the deep end and trying it... but at the same time, I'd hate to do that and then quit after a day because I couldn't handle it :S It's so hard having to act out a persona just to suit everyone else... Sometimes wonder if acting would have been a good career choice for me!

Last edited by rawrness on 30 Jul 2012, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue_stargirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2012, 12:50 pm

Nikkt wrote:

This is a really good way of thinking about it! I can use this job to pay the bills and also learn good social skills too. Thanks!

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 2:09 pm

rawrness wrote:
Would those of you who have worked in that sector say it has definitely helped you with social skills? I mean did you feel like because you were in that position, you had to force yourself to communicate in a more NT way? Did it gradually start to feel more "natural" as time passed by.

While I will never be a social butterfly, I have made huge strides since I started working retail at 16. I realized there are actually decent people in the world (all I ever experienced was rejection and bullying previously) and most people are easy to get along with. I ran into every crazy person imaginable but that got easier over time. My co-workers generally liked me although a few loved to bully me: one got the shock of a life when I got right into one's face and yelled right back at him while customers watched after he berated me, called me slow and ret*d and used every curse word imaginable. He never pulled that stunt on me again!

Of course, I was only part time so it was MUCH easier to deal with. When I was full time, I literally collapsed on the floor many nights after coming home because I was wore out! I'll always be an Aspie but it's no longer glaringly obvious now. In fact, most NT's would never even suspect anything at first and working retail is the main reason for that. One thing I would NEVER be able to do is Customer Service Desk/Returns. Not because I didn't provide excellent, professional service but I took customers bad attitudes VERY personally. I would almost feel suicidal because ONE customer said what a bad job I did.

rawrness
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2012, 5:18 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
rawrness wrote:
Would those of you who have worked in that sector say it has definitely helped you with social skills? I mean did you feel like because you were in that position, you had to force yourself to communicate in a more NT way? Did it gradually start to feel more "natural" as time passed by.

While I will never be a social butterfly, I have made huge strides since I started working retail at 16. I realized there are actually decent people in the world (all I ever experienced was rejection and bullying previously) and most people are easy to get along with. I ran into every crazy person imaginable but that got easier over time. My co-workers generally liked me although a few loved to bully me: one got the shock of a life when I got right into one's face and yelled right back at him while customers watched after he berated me, called me slow and ret*d and used every curse word imaginable. He never pulled that stunt on me again!

Of course, I was only part time so it was MUCH easier to deal with. When I was full time, I literally collapsed on the floor many nights after coming home because I was wore out! I'll always be an Aspie but it's no longer glaringly obvious now. In fact, most NT's would never even suspect anything at first and working retail is the main reason for that. One thing I would NEVER be able to do is Customer Service Desk/Returns. Not because I didn't provide excellent, professional service but I took customers bad attitudes VERY personally. I would almost feel suicidal because ONE customer said what a bad job I did.

Thanks for posting your experiences. I'm glad to read something positive about working in retail for once, rather than all the negatives that people write about. Also nice to hear not all people are bad - which is a generalisation I've tended to make after having a rotten time in school and then basically avoiding all people for 8+ years :oops:

As for your co-worker, it sounds like he got what he deserved. Some people don't seem to understand subtleties, so perhaps your outburst was the only way he'd understand that you meant it!! ! It's funny how people can suddenly change their opinions of you once you stand up for yourself. They don't like it when you play them at their own game. Good on you.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 7:08 pm

rawrness wrote:
Thanks for posting your experiences. I'm glad to read something positive about working in retail for once, rather than all the negatives that people write about. Also nice to hear not all people are bad - which is a generalisation I've tended to make after having a rotten time in school and then basically avoiding all people for 8+ years :oops:

Glad I could help. You are definitely NOT alone. Yes, I made the same generalization and it took 15 years to finally break it for good. Go ahead and read my previous posts and you'll see some of what I had to put up with. It might seem like that's all I talk about and I'm not over it but I assure you I'm MUCH better than I used to be. Remember that school is behind you and....
* Customers are generally not nearly as bad as school kids. Some ACT like kids but the majority will treat you with respect. If you are a cashier, you'll get to meet people from all walks of life.I met some interesting characters but that's another discussion :lol:
* Nobody can lay a finger on you: customer, co-worker or manager. They can be verbally abusive at times but those incidents are usually rare and your manager will NOT turn a blind eye to harassment now matter how much of a jerk he/she is.
* You'll get to meet some of the nicest, most down to earth people as co-workers. Many have been through hard times too and will be MUCH more accepting of you.
* You actually make money (money makes the discomfort subside quite a bit!)
* You might have more say in your schedule (maybe you prefer evenings, mornings, etc)
* Co-workers, especially younger ones will rarely stab you in the back and nobody is going to "mass bully" you because that behavior brings lawyers. Remember lawyers= bad for stores!

You will likely have adversaries but hey, if you survived school it will be a piece of cake! I had to leave after 7 years and left on semi-bad terms but let me tell you: for someone 16-20 retail is a great job, ESPECIALLY for Aspies! I was a virtual anti-social hermit before I worked but it REALLY helped me out of my shell. I met hundreds of great people and still love going back and visiting the old gang. Retail workers are truly some the of best people you'll ever meet and while I don't miss the low pay, crappy hours I have lasting positive memories of my time in the trenches. Go for it!

You may have heard it before but don't be afraid to 'fake it until you make it'. If you convince yourself there is nothing wrong with you, you have unique talents and are accepted it will soon become second nature. Again, you won't be a social butterfly but you will earn the respect of a lot of people.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2012, 2:40 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I was a virtual anti-social hermit before I worked but it REALLY helped me out of my shell. I met hundreds of great people and still love going back and visiting the old gang. Retail workers are truly some the of best people you'll ever meet and while I don't miss the low pay, crappy hours I have lasting positive memories of my time in the trenches. Go for it!

+ 1

patrickmoler
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2012, 7:23 am

blue_stargirl wrote:
Nikkt wrote:

This is a really good way of thinking about it! I can use this job to pay the bills and also learn good social skills too. Thanks!

Yes. I've have gained valuable experience myself in working retail. It was actually rather fun. Learned a lot about dealing with people. I'm guessing You're most likely working at Target, right now. Though that's a pretty wild guess.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 8:27 am

When I worked in a bookstore, I was not very good at sales, exactly, due to having rather narrow reading tastes and having a hard time fibbing and telling people that the latest bestselling pap was fantastic reading, but I was excellent at service. I learned a few small-talk routines from watching more experienced co-workers and really went all out to pay attention to people and try to find what they wanted. Even if they didn't leave with a bag full of books, they nearly always left smiling.

Also, the owner of the store figured out that I was scrupulously honest and could figure out the book someone was looking for when all they could remember was, "It had a red cover and the word 'life' was in the title."

The interpersonal skills I picked up in retail have translated into my current job, too. I see my co-workers as "customers" and that helps me interact with them in a way that is friendly and efficient without getting too personal.

Fiona_G
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2012, 4:58 pm

I agree with the people who've said to treat it as a learning experience. It's definitely hard working in retail and customer service if you're not comfortable around people. I get burnt out easily in these types of jobs and have job hopped between shops and call centres over the years. I've found the shop environments less stressful as you can normally find ways of taking 5 now and again to recharge if you've had a difficult customer or just having a bad day, whereas on the phones there's always someone breathing down your neck. For example, in one small shop I used to offer to do the tea run and have a sit down for a few mins whilst the kettle boiled! Luckily this type of work is usually fairly repetitive (sometimes a positive for aspies), so try to learn to be efficient at the tasks which need to be done, restocking shelves etc and build on the social stuff as your confidence grows. Also, a tip someone gave me before I started my first job was to check with the boss if there's anything they want doing. It's good one if it's a slow day and you've completed all your jobs as it shows you're keen.

I recommend watching a film called 'Waiting'. It has a humorous take on working with the general public and I've replayed scenes from that film many a time in my head when I've been having a stressful day. I don't advise you actually do the things in the film, but it illustrates how frustrating customers can be at times (even for NTs) and how trying to get on well with your workmates can make the job more bearable.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 4:48 pm

Are you a social aspie or are you like 90% of aspies who are intorverted and need to carefully regulate there socialization or else they go crazy. Coming from someone who worked a low level job at a super market for almost a year. Get out, or you will drive yourself nuts. Otherwise, try move towards night stocking. Only advice I can give you.