Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 6:25 pm

Surfman wrote:
My advice to you young man, is that you appear to be excessively black and white

Degrees of guilt, and sharing of guilt with parents or wider society...... as well as severity of crime, and reparations, all need to be considered

thats why judges as default are older people

if the company preses chargers
I would want the case to go smoothly
I don't want being in a childrens home and having aspergers
to have anything to do with the case as it drags the case I want a stranded case for a 15 year old

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 6:40 pm

I for one wouldn't say I use aspergers as an 'excuse' per sae, but i would say that the nature of my job is at odds with my aspergers which causes me more problems than my colleagues.

Its essential to know where to draw the line, otherwise genuinely you run the risk of creating equality issues for people on the spectrum.

On the other hand, theres no way you could use aspergers to justify serious crimes, like murder or theft. As someone else said, it doesn't impair moral judgement.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 6:41 pm

I been told that any court might this the case out
I been told that aspergers could end up influencing the jury dission but this what I dont want

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 6:53 pm

thomas81 wrote:
I for one wouldn't say I use aspergers as an 'excuse' per sae, but i would say that the nature of my job is at odds with my aspergers which causes me more problems than my colleagues.

Its essential to know where to draw the line, otherwise genuinely you run the risk of creating equality issues for people on the spectrum.

On the other hand, theres no way you could use aspergers to justify serious crimes, like murder or theft. As someone else said, it doesn't impair moral judgement.

A condition that involves social impairments could in my opinion impair 'judgements' ....considered by society to be those of a moral nature.

TheSunAlsoRises

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 7:11 pm

As of late, there is an image of Aspergers being created as some sort of superhuman non-autist with slight social impairments(barely noticeable).

It's just not a true representation of the whole.

From addressing an officer in an unprofessional manner to staring a bit too hard at an individual, there are a multitude of situations that can wreak havoc in the lives of an Aspergian. The things i just casually mention could easily lead to jail time.

In regards to the more heinous crimes, I'm reluctant to say BUT once they make a greater link between ASDs and Schizophrenia; some clarifications are going to have to be made.

As i read more, I'm seeing THAT the experts know quite a lot BUT it's coming obviously from a different perspective. I can see HOW they are arriving at their conclusions.

TheSunAlsoRises

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 7:36 pm

anyone with aspergers should face the full force of the law
no using aspergers as an excuse we should face the whole legal systems we need to learn to manage behaviors

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 8:00 pm

mmcool wrote:
anyone with aspergers should face the full force of the law
no using aspergers as an excuse we should face the whole legal systems we need to learn to manage behaviors

Let me play Devil's advocate for a moment(because God knows i'm no Angel):

You specifically state Aspergers. It appears Aspergers will no longer exist as a single diagnosis BUT become part of a broader category known as Autism Spectrum Disorders.

So, should someone, anyone, along the Autism Spectrum face the whole legal system because they need to learn to manage behaviors ?

TheSunAlsoRises

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Preliminary findings indicate that hfASDs are over-represented in criminal populations relative to their prevalence in the general population. However, more comprehensive studies are needed to confirm these findings. As forensic clinicians become familiar with diagnostic paradigms for these disorders, more comprehensive and systematic approaches will be needed to identify and assess individuals with hfASDs. Further research should systematically assess various domains of potential psychiatric-legal value, such as capacity for empathy and remorse, risk factors for psychopathy, and impulsivity. Theory of Mind factors such as intentionality may be highly relevant to issues related to degrees of culpability. Heretofore, ToM research has focused on child populations. Therefore, new instruments must be developed to assess ToM capacities in both hfASDs and in other psychiatric disorders known to be associated with ToM deficits.

http://www.autismuk.com/?page_id=1133

not an excuse, but an interesting slice of information. it might be fair to have ASDs under consideration when a person is charged with a crime, because apparently the deck is stacked against them already - they are overrepresented in prison. according to this article people with ASDs sometimes have difficult expressing appropriate remorse when on trial (perhaps because it is often manufactured anyway, so aspies and auties don't "play along" as they should. hard to say)

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 9:12 pm

It's a reason not an excuse.

A reason that needs to be carefully consider and not used as an excuse.

IF considerations were not taken John Elder Robison's son would be sitting in Federal Prison.

IF considerations were not taken, i imagine quite a few people with Aspergers may have some sort of contact with the criminal justice system(including minor infractions) at a much higher rate than the general population.

Anything less than a case by case analysis of a particular situation would be a gross unjustice....

*Just an opinion and should be taken as such.

TheSunAlsoRises

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 5:00 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:

IF considerations were not taken John Elder Robison's son would be sitting in Federal Prison.

IF considerations were not taken, i imagine quite a few people with Aspergers may have some sort of contact with the criminal justice system(including minor infractions) at a much higher rate than the general population.

Anything less than a case by case analysis of a particular situation would be a gross unjustice....

TheSunAlsoRises

aspergers is so mild on the asd it should never be used in any cases
a person with aspergers understands what they doing is wrong

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Jul 2012, 5:39 am

mmcool wrote:

Why do you always post provocative things?

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 5:47 am

Verdandi wrote:
mmcool wrote:

Why do you always post provocative things?

i don't know

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Jul 2012, 6:04 am

Fair enough.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 7:34 am

I'm certain some people may use it as a "crutch" or excuse to get off easy if they've committed crimes, but generally those are the frauds or people on the extremely mild end of the spectrum (the "barely qualify as aspies" people). Chris Chan is an example of someone who uses ASD as a crutch.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 10:49 am

mmcool wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:

TheSunAlsoRises

Incorrect. Your Aspergers along with others may be so mild in certain areas that it may not effect YOUR judgement on certain issues. This does not apply to everyone on the Autism scale inclusive of Aspergers.

IT would behoove folks to stop speaking of Aspergers as a monolitic group; they are NOT.

TheSunAlsoRises

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 11:03 am

I see THAT it says THAT you are 15 on your profile.

I want to ask you one question and i want you to think about it, carefully.

IS this a true statement: Aspergers is so mild on the Autism scale THAT every Aspie should be able to work.

Whatever conclusion you come to is fine BUT give it some serious thought.

TheSunAlsRises