Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 2:15 pm

paxfilosoof wrote:
Interesting. I personally have some 'girly' activities aswell. Like you said cooking, I love to make vegan food.

I was just wondering. The female aspies (I don't want to generalise) I met, are what I would say: "they want to dominate their male(s)". They are very good in handling couple of males at the same time.
And it seems to me that many aspie males are more passive. They have some "girly" interest (what our society say is girly) too.

So I was just wondering
Dominate men? Why would I want to do that? Honestly, when I interact with people, I often forget their gender after a while--I'm only conscious of it to the degree that they might be attracted to me, if I am of their preferred gender, because I'm asexual and I don't want to lead them on. I certainly don't want to dominate anyone. When I choose to interact with somebody, it's because they have interesting ideas. While I might pester them with questions or lecture at them, that behavior doesn't differ by gender, and I don't think it is "dominant" behavior to begin with. It's just me being my usual overly pedantic self.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2012, 2:51 pm

Callista wrote:
paxfilosoof wrote:
Interesting. I personally have some 'girly' activities aswell. Like you said cooking, I love to make vegan food.

I was just wondering. The female aspies (I don't want to generalise) I met, are what I would say: "they want to dominate their male(s)". They are very good in handling couple of males at the same time.
And it seems to me that many aspie males are more passive. They have some "girly" interest (what our society say is girly) too.

So I was just wondering
Dominate men? Why would I want to do that? Honestly, when I interact with people, I often forget their gender after a while--I'm only conscious of it to the degree that they might be attracted to me, if I am of their preferred gender, because I'm asexual and I don't want to lead them on. I certainly don't want to dominate anyone. When I choose to interact with somebody, it's because they have interesting ideas. While I might pester them with questions or lecture at them, that behavior doesn't differ by gender, and I don't think it is "dominant" behavior to begin with. It's just me being my usual overly pedantic self.

Sorry, maybe I was not very clear.
Their will always be problems in how males and females look to each other behaviour.
I mean, as a male I experience this with females. (not negatively, I love people who have a mind of their own)
Of course females themself can experience it different. That's fine.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Jul 2012, 9:00 pm

Nonperson wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I don't believe anyone on the autistic spectrum is more or less likely to hold problematic sexist (among other -isms) views, or that being autistic necessarily grants one special insight into existing patterns of oppression.

I said. I did not say that we were less likely to be sexist, but less likely to be hypocritical. Specifically, claiming one is for equality when actually one is promoting one's own interests is dishonest, and we are certainly less likely to be dishonest. A sexist person on the spectrum would likely be blunter about his/her beliefs.
I also did not say we had "special insight", however, I have observed that we seem to be more likely to hold unconventional beliefs in general and it seems reasonable to me that this stems from being less inhibited by concern for upholding norms to maintain harmony. NT's often seem more worried about whether an idea might rock the boat than whether anything can be learned from it.

Fair enough.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Jul 2012, 2:39 pm

paxfilosoof wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
paxfilosoof wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I don't believe anyone on the autistic spectrum is more or less likely to hold problematic sexist (among other -isms) views, or that being autistic necessarily grants one special insight into existing patterns of oppression.

I never said sexist or porblematic views autistic people have. I just noticed a couple of aspie-friends I have, also are feminists.

That was a response to the post directly above mine, not to you.

However, I would say your assertion that feminism being about female supremacy is an all-too-common sexist belief many men have about feminism as a movement. I don't know how you drew your conclusions, but in general it seems to be anxiety about the problem of women possibly being on equal footing. One example that comes to mind was when Michael Buerk noticed that women were making headway into the BBC. Although they did not hold the majority of positions available in the BBC, the increased visibility of women in broadcasting led him to claim that women were taking over.

Lol, I'm myself a sort of feminist

Being a feminist doesn't mean you can't be sexist. Being a woman doesn't mean one can't be sexist against women.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 3:36 pm

moved from General Autism Discussion to Women's Discussion

weird thread. since the OP is starting off with an odd description of feminism, i would have to say that according to his ideas, i am NOT a feminist. but... according to a more accurate definition of feminism, i AM. go figure.