Autistic extroversion vs. introversion

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

krex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 11:52 pm

Starbuline wrote:
I'm very introverted until my favourite topics come up, then I can't stop talking.

Basically sums it up for me.I had no problem speaking up in class and at work if the topic interests me or I have an unresolved issue or a solution to put forward.

I love it when I happen to find someone that I have a speaking rhythm with,it is amazing but rare.Some people can actually bring out the "funny" in me....also rare but fun.

Most of the time I prefer doing things that happen to be "solo" activities(reading ,art,puzzles)but I also like having someone to go hiking with,dumpster diving,garage sales,playing cards)I just hate "group" activities.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2006, 12:30 am

I am normally an introvert, even with one or two people.

The exception comes if I have something to say that I think other people will find amusing and/or useful.

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2006, 12:38 am

I was quite extroverted when I was younger, but that's what got my butt kicked a lot, I expect.

DanFlyfish
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Nov 2006, 10:31 am

Introverted here, too. I'd think "morbidly shy" would about cover it, and that certainly caused it's share of educational, personal and work-world problems. However, the social anxiety treatments work well enough.

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2006, 3:22 pm

Beenthere wrote:
I'm an introvert...a "watcher"....I like to stand away in the shadows for the most part and just observe.

Here I feel more extroverted (comfortable). 8)

Me too. I'm definetly introverted, until there is a discussion about one of my obsessions or if someone wants to talk to me about cartoons I'm going to turn into an animated series that will not be judgemental about anything I say. I also have trouble revealing my true personality to people, even if they aren't judgemental. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 4:40 pm

I am quiet. This past weekend a political discussion broke out and all of a sudden I was talking!

The poor guy outside my building agreed - people talk about unimportant things too much (Yes, I often enjoy talking to the poor gent outside - he describes himself as logical, introverted/loner, and "I dont talk to people not because I'm screwed up in the head but because I cant trust them or they talk about dumb things")

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 4:49 pm

I'm naturally introverted. If I tried to be extroverted it would be too overwhelming, too difficult, and at the very least uninteresting. I doubt I could really pull it off either if I wanted to. Being introverted simply means you draw your energy inward, and extroverts get their energy outward, which explains why they love being around people a lot. It energizes them.

There are also ambiverts too however, who are more balanced between the two extremes.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2006, 9:19 pm

dbzgirl wrote:
Beenthere wrote:
I'm an introvert...a "watcher"....I like to stand away in the shadows for the most part and just observe.

Here I feel more extroverted (comfortable). 8)

Me too. I'm definetly introverted, until there is a discussion about one of my obsessions or if someone wants to talk to me about cartoons I'm going to turn into an animated series that will not be judgemental about anything I say. I also have trouble revealing my true personality to people, even if they aren't judgemental. Does anyone else have the same problem?

I'm the SAME way! My mother spoke to someone that spoke to her about how quiet HER son was. He was diagnosed with AS. My mother started speaking about how loquacious I was. THEN, the other person spoke about how, if it was in their subject area, AS people an be VERY talkative! Yep, that's me! I TRY to talk to people, etc... But it IS forced, and probably sounds like it.

As for REAL personality? I am like one of those impersonators in the spy flicks. I've spent SO long having another personality that I don't even remember what my real one is like anymore. I used to be MORE diligent, obsessed, organized, altruistic, trusting, optimistic, prompt, etc... I was also more introverted, more stubborn, I SEEMED more arrogant(Everyone called me a knowitall), a bit less polite.

Steve

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2006, 11:18 pm

I am an introvert really. I am a man of few words and seldom post unecessarily long winded posts or talk in an overwhelming manner so no one else get a word in edge ways I just like to get straight to point without making any unecessessary 2000 word preamble before I finally get to the important bits I need to say. Sometimes I like to throw in the odd witty one liner and totally change to course of the group conversation while I retreat back into my usual quiet introverted self.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2006, 11:29 pm

OK, I get the point. Sorry. 8-(

Steve