Mitt Romney an Aspie? Is this really funny?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 8:11 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLhFpaE74ts&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 8:26 pm

He does sound like he could be one of us, in that clip at least.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 9:14 pm

It sounded like he was trying to sound pro-American-made-products to me, but it's not impossible for him to have Asperger's.

There are a few reasons I don't feel inclined towards yes:

1. I believe he's disconnected because he's always been rich and not because of a neurological deficit. Being isolated will make a person disoriented, autism or no.
2. Odds are he would have had some form of epilepsy in childhood had he truly been on the spectrum, as it is relatively common for those with autism to have seizure disorders.
3. He's just not very logical. [Look at his full 'Take that Mr. President!' speech next to Obama's full 'Roads and Bridges' speech. He won't release his tax records, which leaves us open to speculate that his tax records are WORSE.]
4. Horse ballet.
5. Never seen him stimming, looking too low for true eye contact, or too high for true eye contact.

Usually the people we speculate about do the last one; they tap their fingers or watch more towards the neck or mouth, or towards the hairline. I know I do it.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2012, 11:30 pm

I would disagree with him not being logical-just because his motivations are unclear does not make him illogical.

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 7:43 am

LennytheWicked wrote:
It sounded like he was trying to sound pro-American-made-products to me, but it's not impossible for him to have Asperger's.

There are a few reasons I don't feel inclined towards yes:

1. I believe he's disconnected because he's always been rich and not because of a neurological deficit. Being isolated will make a person disoriented, autism or no.
2. Odds are he would have had some form of epilepsy in childhood had he truly been on the spectrum, as it is relatively common for those with autism to have seizure disorders.
3. He's just not very logical. [Look at his full 'Take that Mr. President!' speech next to Obama's full 'Roads and Bridges' speech. He won't release his tax records, which leaves us open to speculate that his tax records are WORSE.]
4. Horse ballet.
5. Never seen him stimming, looking too low for true eye contact, or too high for true eye contact.

Usually the people we speculate about do the last one; they tap their fingers or watch more towards the neck or mouth, or towards the hairline. I know I do it.

I didn't know about this 'horse ballet' thing with Romney until Googled it. I don't know what horse ballet has to do with being an Aspie, but it sure makes it look as if he is not connecting everyday
people in the U.S. (I don't like sports in the U.S. that much, either, but I do like hockey... and a bit of basketball....)

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 8:19 am

Evinceo wrote:
I would disagree with him not being logical-just because his motivations are unclear does not make him illogical.

His motivations for giving an anti-Obama speech that was almost identical to Obama's speech on teamwork had pretty clear motives. But the fact that he had to have heard the speech but then gave a different speech disagreeing with him was just...I don't have words for it. It was dumb, but that doesn't cover it. :I

I just think he's too much of a politician to be an aspie. Most politicians seem pretty sociopathic to me, and the two are mutually exclusive.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 9:02 am

No way, no how.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 10:02 am

ArrantPariah wrote:

No way. Mitt is the Mentally Muddled Mormon as so many LDS are. He is NT to the bone.

ruveyn

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 10:09 am

ruveyn wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

No way. Mitt is the Mentally Muddled Mormon as so many LDS are. He is NT to the bone.

ruveyn

careful, there are some Mormons here. (not me)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 10:29 am

Frieslander wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

ruveyn

careful, there are some Mormons here. (not me)

What would you say about people who believe there ware massive advanced civilizations in South America practicing Christianity (or some form of it) prior to the arrival of the Spanish? Total balderdash.

ruveyn

Redshirt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2012, 10:32 am

Maybe we should go ask a psychiatrist and find out for sure instead of taking wild guesses.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 10:39 am

In any case, Mitt, who will not break any IQ records any time soon is a well adapted NT. Squared jawed and affable. Your basic good natured American gentile politician.

I am going to vote for Mitt, not because I like him particularly (I don't dislike him either), but because he has ticked off the Palestinians (probably through his usual muddle head thing) I take Mitt for what he as. He is good natured NT whose IQ is probably only slightly higher than his blood temperature. Not terribly bright, but capable of functioning politically. He was governor of the People's Republic of Massachussetts at one time. That gives him more and prior executive experience compared the feckless hapless Obama who could not run a lemonade stand at a profit and who never wrote a law review for Harvard Law Review.

ruveyn

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Jul 2012, 10:49 am

LennytheWicked wrote:

Relatively common perhaps, but still fairly rare. You may as well say "odds are he would have had some form of ADD", or "some form of OCD", as those are also common co-morbids.

I would suggest that someone with ASD would struggle to be as charming as Mr Romney and have such a successful political career.

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 10:52 am

Redshirt wrote:
Maybe we should go ask a psychiatrist and find out for sure instead of taking wild guesses.

Commenting about the name of this user... I suppose this really belongs in the TV & films forum... but the name "Redshirt" cracks me up. To me, it seems to a Star Trek reference.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 10:14 pm

ruveyn wrote:
In any case, Mitt, who will not break any IQ records any time soon is a well adapted NT. Squared jawed and affable. Your basic good natured American gentile politician.

I am going to vote for Mitt, not because I like him particularly (I don't dislike him either), but because he has ticked off the Palestinians (probably through his usual muddle head thing) I take Mitt for what he as. He is good natured NT whose IQ is probably only slightly higher than his blood temperature. Not terribly bright, but capable of functioning politically. He was governor of the People's Republic of Massachussetts at one time. That gives him more and prior executive experience compared the feckless hapless Obama who could not run a lemonade stand at a profit and who never wrote a law review for Harvard Law Review.

ruveyn

Barry never published while he was president of the Harvard law review?

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 10:17 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:

Barry never published while he was president of the Harvard law review?

There is some question about that.

See http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_Barack_Ob ... law_review

When studying Obama past and present there is less there than meets the eye.

ruveyn