lonely when im not alone... and im lonely when i am alone!

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2012, 7:02 pm

I long for human interaction but when I get it, I don't know what to do and get uncomfortable and try to slide away. its like I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. it doesn't just apply in real life but on the internet too. I make posts with the intentions of interaction but when it comes, I don't know what to say and don't want to respond. I worry about what people will think of the things I say and how the Congo looks. I can't tell if what I'm saying is boring. its stressful!

around people its worse! like my little sister and her friends come over and I want to talk to them so I make a single comment and they try to come talk to me but I don't know what to do or say so I move around the house and try loosing them. they follow. I do eventually shake them though.

I'm lonely when I'm not alone and when I am alone I'm lonely. Much less so when I am alone. I can entertain myself, but it only goes so far. I think like ill never have a wife or friends or a real life with a job. all because I have a communication retardation and it kills me!

anyone else have this problem?

zeroaffiliation
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2012, 7:55 pm

Quote:

Yes, all of the above and all of the time.

So much so that this is the first forum I have signed up for in over 2 years.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 8:52 pm

In my case it is partly related to the interent addiction. I am so used to meeting my social needs online that socializing in person just doesnt do it; so when I am in social situation i feel lonely because it keeps me away from checking my email, or this forum, or few other forums I post on.

But, at the same time, internet doesnt do it either because it is not in person so I cant really enjoy going to the party with the internet contacts I have. So that puts me between rock and hard place: internet is not good enough because it is not in person and in person is not good enough because it is not online.

But at the same time the above is probably due to social difficulties. If I were doing okay socially in person and had several freinds in person, perhaps I would have grown to like it in the same ways I have grown to like the internet. In person I cant just walk up to someone and start to tlak while on the interent I do it all the time. So I was conditioned to like interent due to that repeated pattern of rewards, and thats why the occasial misplacement of said rewards (occasional in-person interaction) wont change much. But if I were to have better social skills I would have been conditioned to enjoy in person interaction and then internet wont be necessary.

philippepetit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jul 2012, 9:22 pm

i had a similar problem
basically you just have to keep pushing yourself a little bit to be around people for just a little bit longer, be a little bit more expressive, etc.
in a few months you'll probably realize you've become more confident and outgoing than half of the people you run into and have no idea how you got there

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm

Quote:
I long for human interaction

see? that's your problem

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2012, 10:06 pm

nrau wrote:
Quote:

see? that's your problem

Haha why is that my problem? Please do tell me.

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm

amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
Quote:

see? that's your problem

Patient:"Doctor! Doctor! It hurts when I do that!"
Doctor:"Don't do that."

Or in other words, if interaction is so troublesome, it's masochistic to want it.
Let go of that thing and enjoy yourself in billion other ways.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2012, 10:26 pm

nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
Quote:

see? that's your problem

Or in other words, if interaction is so troublesome, it's masochistic to want it.

Its only natural to want human interaction! Just like its natural to want to mate. At least for most people it is. Some things cannot be helped though. I want human interaction but don't know how so its kind of a catch 22. I cannot just turn it off like you so ignorantly suggest.

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2012, 10:32 pm

amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
Quote:

see? that's your problem

Its only natural to want human interaction! Just like its natural to want to mate. At least for most people it is. Some things cannot be helped though. I want human interaction but don't know how so its kind of a catch 22. I cannot just turn it off like you so ignorantly suggest.

Of course you can. Unlike other animals we humans are not governed by instincts and what is natural. That's why we rock!
But if you really don't want to get rid of whatever is hurting you then I guess there's no helping it....being natural is suffering.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2012, 10:35 pm

nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
Quote:

see? that's your problem

Of course you can. Unlike other animals we humans are not governed by instincts and what is natural. That's why we rock!
But if you really don't want to get rid of whatever is hurting you then I guess there's no helping it....being natural is suffering.

What bro? Your just frustrating me! You sound crazy!

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2012, 10:37 pm

amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
Quote:

see? that's your problem

Not just crazy!
I'm MAD
FUUUUUHAHAHAAHAHAHA

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2012, 10:50 pm

nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
Quote:

see? that's your problem

Not just crazy!
I'm MAD
FUUUUUHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Yeah and an as*hole!

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2012, 10:53 pm

amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
Quote:

see? that's your problem

Not just crazy!
I'm MAD
FUUUUUHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Yeah and an as*hole!

Ha! Every mad...wait wait woah. Why an as*hole?
More like...bastard. Yeah, that's more like it.
Crazy bastard!

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2012, 10:58 pm

nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
Quote:

see? that's your problem

Not just crazy!
I'm MAD
FUUUUUHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Yeah and an as*hole!

Crazy bastard!

At least you can admit it.

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2012, 11:08 pm

nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nrau wrote:
Quote:

see? that's your problem

Not just crazy!
I'm MAD
FUUUUUHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Yeah and an as*hole!

Crazy bastard!

You should not go looking for advice and then scorn the adviser. He is right you know, you really can cease to seek and crave "natural" things. Look up the Jesuits, they were a Christian religious order that renounced the material world and sought purity and control over their own thoughts. Many succeeded. But if it is truly people that you seek and cannot seem to find, get a counselor. If you cannot afford one, hit up a library and read a book on socializing. Might I suggest looking up old genteel books about manners and proper discourse; women and older people in particular seem to favor this style of behavior. For the general population, I would recommend watching old school American television shows and mimicking the behavior you see there. It is not often I come across a character from a 1950s to 1960s television show that I would not enjoy holding a conversation with. If you happen to be in school, take a drama course: these can help you with "faking" the social skills that come naturally to normal people. Good luck with life.

Weirto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2012, 11:10 pm

amboxer21 wrote:
I long for human interaction but when I get it, I don't know what to do and get uncomfortable and try to slide away. its like I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. it doesn't just apply in real life but on the internet too. I make posts with the intentions of interaction but when it comes, I don't know what to say and don't want to respond. I worry about what people will think of the things I say and how the Congo looks. I can't tell if what I'm saying is boring. its stressful!

around people its worse! like my little sister and her friends come over and I want to talk to them so I make a single comment and they try to come talk to me but I don't know what to do or say so I move around the house and try loosing them. they follow. I do eventually shake them though.

I'm lonely when I'm not alone and when I am alone I'm lonely. Much less so when I am alone. I can entertain myself, but it only goes so far. I think like ill never have a wife or friends or a real life with a job. all because I have a communication retardation and it kills me!

It sounds like you are overly self conscious of what you say. It sounds like you might have Social Phobia like me.

Last edited by Weirto on 31 Jul 2012, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.