Do you get sick much more than average?

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 5:00 pm

I very rarely get sick. I really don't remember when I last had a cold. I seem to have a very strong immune system.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 8:28 pm

I used to get sick a lot, mostly with colds, ear infections and strep throats...and at the time, my younger half - sisters, whom I saw every other week, were really little and both going to a day care, which I guess explains part of it. :lol: My frequent illness seemed to taper off when I was thirteen and underwent surgery to have my gallbladder removed.

I also used to get constipated a lot when I was young, probably from a limited diet and severe anxiety. I also had a case of bronchitis with a sinus infection a couple years ago. I also tend to get one or two really bad colds per year.

I don't think I have any allergies, but I have this annoying sinus drainage that goes with me no matter where I am, what the weather's like, or what climate I'm in. I am, however, allergic to some type of medicine; not sure what exactly (found that out while taking meds for the bronchitis) and dust makes me sneeze sometimes, too, when there's a lot of it.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Delilah85
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Apr 2014, 11:53 am

Yes. It's mostly stomach bugs and the like. I haven't been severely, bedridden, ill for about four years now, but I find that I have days when I can't leave the house and it's safe to move more than a few feet from a bucket, sink, loo, etc. I get colds, but these days they're mostly mild, and sometimes drag on at a low level for weeks. I also have severe pollen allergies, which developed very suddenly when I was 20. I know tons of people this has happened to, so I'm not worried that it's linked to the AS. On the plus side, I no longer have such terrible contact allergies from plants.

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2014, 1:52 pm

Yes I do and my children do.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 11:33 pm

Yes.

I have been prone to sinus infections my entire life, which I believe may be partially responsible for my hearing and balance issues. (Got a hearing aid last month, and it's actually helping, btw. :) )

I get a flu shot every year, but I still seem to pick up something at least once or twice (or more) during the "season." Colds, flu-like things (respiratory and/or stomach), allergies (I was exposed to juniper for the first time when I moved to this town), frequent headaches, plus feeling really tired nearly all of the time...yep, I definitely get sick a lot.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Mpregangel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2014, 12:39 am

Yes! I'm a train wreck. I recently had a tooth exposure and a tonsilectomy and adenoidectomy. I have about 50 food/chemical/mold sensitivities. I catch everything and get tons of infections, on top of that my body can't really heal well. My throat was inhis red for years with constant infections before my surgery all because of an endoscopy. Lastly I have ovarian cysts cause by hornone imbalance(I'm ftm trans).

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 2:19 am

No, not since going paleo, excluding the tooth infection i had but that happened when I tried to put grains back in again. It's gone away now without the gluten in my diet.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 9:08 am

I get colds frequently. I have a cough which has lasted four months--can't get rid of it.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 11:24 pm

I used to get ill a lot. From childhood it was obvious that my immune system was compromised - I was always the first kid in school to come down with measles or whatever. As I got older this became more serious, and in my 20s and 30s I had repeated bouts of pneumonia, which doctors of the time attributed to lifestyle factors - ie they thought it must be too much alcohol or something like that. One know-it-all doctor declared nastily - "well only alcoholics and coal miners get repeated pneumonia, so which one are you?"
I was neither. If you say look I am not alcoholic, they think that's denial on your part. I don't even drink alcohol.

After 50 years of serious illness they finally, at my request, tested my immune response and found that I was deficient in an immunoglobulin. (IgG) - and they realised that from my medical history, I always had been. There were other peculiarities in my blood (called paraproteins), and the B19 virus, so finally doctors took me seriously. Now I am monitored in case I develop one of the blood cancers like lymphoma. I am chronically anaemic and have iron transfusions sometimes.

I did read somewhere that immune disorders are far more common on the spectrum. I also had asthma, food allergies, hayfever from infancy, and in adulthood severe outbreaks of excema.

Now that I am retired and live alone I am able to stay at home most of the time so I don't get exposed much to flu viruses etc. My general health is much better.

Things improved when I went gluten free (especially the excema and infections). The main thing in maintaining my health now is that I really educated myself, and have learned to advocate for myself with doctors, to negotiate with them and be assertive when I had to be. It also helps being older - the doctors are younger than me, they realise (mostly) that I know what I need from long experience of managing my conditions.

As for digestive disorders - 70% of the immune system is in the function - or dysfunction - of the gut; it's not all in the blood as people tend to think, and were taught to think.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 12:31 am

Not really, probably less than average.

capri0112
Raven
Raven

11 Apr 2014, 8:01 pm

No. I have always been very healthy.

I attribute it to--on top of good physical genes--being raised on a very healthy diet, and having always been more or less physically active.

I am so thankful to be a healthy person (knock on wood!) because honestly I am not sure I could handle being sickly on top of having to deal with autism related issues on a daily basis.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 8:13 pm

when i was younger i got REALLY sick a lot, but now, i have a strong immune system, everynow and then i get sick, about twice a year, normal influenza or staph infection

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Minionkitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2014, 8:14 pm

When I was little, I was hardly ever sick. But in the last few years, I've had several bladder infections, colds, flus, and I've had 10 ear infections since this August... It's been so bad, I've been told I might need surgery, although it's more rare for them to perform this type of surgery on someone my age. I see an ENT at the end of the month. I've been diagnosed with asthma, although I think that was a misdiagnosis. And something called Chronic Rhinitus. I really have no idea what it is, I just know I went to be evaluated by an allergist to see if I was allergic to my cat, and he took an x-ray of my nose and diagnosed this. I'm supposed to have a life-time prescription to steroid nasal spray for it, but I lost the bottle a long time ago and therefore cannot have it refilled like I am supposed to. I'm also diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right wrist, although I think I just couldn't move my hand due to my antipsychotics being raised. My grandma thinks it's odd, for a child who rarely got sick when younger, to have so many health problems now.

ASD/Asperger's Syndrome traits; diagnosed August 2014
IQ 120
(Diagnosed using the DSM-IV, not DSM-5)

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 9:43 pm

Allergies aside, I do not get sick very often. I had the flu a couple of years back - the main symptom was that I was fatigued and spent the day crashed on the couch. I might had a few colds too, but since there is so much crossover between colds and allergies, I can never tell what I have, though with colds the symptoms generally last a little longer and I have a sore throat before the congestion and sneezing hits.

Allergies have been really bad lately. Something in the air, plus the unusual fluctuations in weather have been contributing factors. Once symptoms hit, I'll be sneezing and sniffling for the rest of the day, but will usually be fine the next day. I grew up with pollen allergies and was miserable all the time, though it receded during my teens, but others allergies have come to replace them. I was doing allergy shots that have worked very well up until recently.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 4:24 pm

As a kid I had the usual illnesses apart from things like lice and others that you only catch from being close to other children.

I also had chronic, severe ear infections and my ear drums burst repeatedly because I never sought comfort or communicated I was ill.

However as an adult I seem to get sick a lot less than others.

honeyaureus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2014, 8:38 pm

My allergies are always going ape s***, not to mention that I might have a pending diagnosis of chronic migraine. I used to get all the colds out there, but since we've been using Wet Ones antibacterial wipes after being in places, it's been better (we actually do this because my dad has even less immune system than I do due to cancer. Even a minor cold will give him pneumonia that puts him in the ICU).

I'm also double-jointed and have low muscle tone, which contributes to muscle and joint pain and weakness. It hurts to walk some days, especially if I exercise. I'm not talking about regular soreness, though, I'm talking about not-wanting-to-get-out-of-bed, absolute-hell-to-even-barely-touch-the-floor-with-your-toe kind of pain. No one sees a cause, though, except I NEED TO EXERCISE!! ! I keep telling them it hurts too much, but they don't listen. My best bet is to hope that someone eventually believes me. Or, I could just move to a desert island and cry while my leg feels like it's being pulled and pushed by two different lightning demons.