Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PlecoBill
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2012, 4:46 am

Maybe practice phrases using different speaking styles. I am now learning the importance of speaking "correctly" in everyday life. It is so important if you want to "fit in". I don't even "know" that I speak in a monotone, I've been told that I should listen to myself and how I speak! So I know something's wrong but what? I sound fine to myself! And often enough I do speak "correctly" (maybe not though). Sometimes it is too much effort or I forget, often when I am in a state of mind other than happy and content. I am concentrating now on continually being aware of this "monotone" and putting emotion or different rythm into my speech. Slipping even once is detrimental to me because in my workday I speak with everyone in the building daily and many of those are bosses.

AvidReader88
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Aug 2012, 9:18 pm

I have the monotone voice problem. At some point I learned the "rollercoaster" another poster was talking about, so sometimes I do that, especially in groups. But if someone pulls me away from the computer or asks me something when I am distracted, I find myself speaking monotone.

I tend to think of conversation as data exchange. I have trouble getting away from that and remembering to add the extra conversational things that NTs like.

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2012, 9:07 pm

outofplace wrote:
I used to get called "Data" by one of my high school English teachers due to my voice and tendency to blather on and on and on about things when answering a question in class.

LOL. That is awesome!

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"
- Albert Einstein

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2012, 9:10 pm

PlecoBill wrote:
Maybe practice phrases using different speaking styles. I am now learning the importance of speaking "correctly" in everyday life. It is so important if you want to "fit in". I don't even "know" that I speak in a monotone, I've been told that I should listen to myself and how I speak! So I know something's wrong but what? I sound fine to myself! And often enough I do speak "correctly" (maybe not though). Sometimes it is too much effort or I forget, often when I am in a state of mind other than happy and content. I am concentrating now on continually being aware of this "monotone" and putting emotion or different rythm into my speech. Slipping even once is detrimental to me because in my workday I speak with everyone in the building daily and many of those are bosses.

This sounds so much like me. I keep thinking people hate me because they say certain things but people laugh so my mom says "obviously something is wrong with you if everyone is laughing but you are getting upset" wow, wtf. Or, mom, maybe I am friends with a few jerks that wanna make fun of people in the other person's suspense!

- Albert Einstein

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2012, 9:12 pm

AvidReader88 wrote:
I have the monotone voice problem. At some point I learned the "rollercoaster" another poster was talking about, so sometimes I do that, especially in groups. But if someone pulls me away from the computer or asks me something when I am distracted, I find myself speaking monotone.

I tend to think of conversation as data exchange. I have trouble getting away from that and remembering to add the extra conversational things that NTs like.

LOL! I love that! "data exchange".

- Albert Einstein

steviewonderau
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2012, 1:33 am

Metallic monotone voice, expressionless, bores people easily, but does not know that he/she is being ignored.

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2012, 8:08 pm

steviewonderau wrote:
Metallic monotone voice, expressionless, bores people easily, but does not know that he/she is being ignored.

People just don't understand me or hear me when I am monotone.

- Albert Einstein

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

13 Nov 2012, 1:50 am

I have quite the opposite problem: my voice is all over the place! (Although it is mostly on 'excited' mode.)

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 10:40 am

This makes me think of a bad math joke. Yes but the pitch on my voice is bounded and monotone so it converges.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 12:53 pm

No my voice isn't monotone...it has a lot of inflection (normal inflection). Although my mom recently told me I have an "odd locution style" -an odd rhythm at times and too precise enunciation.

fluffypinkyellow
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2012, 8:49 am

Everyone says I have a monotone voice. My mother actually says I have an "Asperger's accent" :lol: She also refers to there being a "gay accent"

I don't sound monotonous to myself. To myself, I just sound pretty natural. Forcing more expression feels very strange and artificial.

salem44dream
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 8:30 pm

The odd thing is that I'm gay, and yet no one has ever told me I have a gay affect ... but they HAVE told me on numerous times that I have a montone voice, or they've imitated how I talk right to my face (either way, I have to fight getting depressed over thoughts like, "Do I really sound like that?"). The worst thing was when Pat Paulsen was a popular comedian back in the late 60s and early 70s ... and everyone told me I sounded like him (I'm dating myself with this remark!). Them saying that really bothered me, because it seemed to me like he was making fun of people who talked in this different way. Now that I think back on it, he may have unknowingly been making fun of people with Asperger's syndrome, because in that time period almost nothing was known about it.

Here's a typical sketch by him:

Pat Paulsen comedy sketch

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2012, 9:24 pm

ianorlin wrote:
This makes me think of a bad math joke. Yes but the pitch on my voice is bounded and monotone so it converges.

LOL. This made me smile.

- Albert Einstein

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2012, 9:25 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
No my voice isn't monotone...it has a lot of inflection (normal inflection). Although my mom recently told me I have an "odd locution style" -an odd rhythm at times and too precise enunciation.

Yeah, I seem to have that too as well.

- Albert Einstein

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2012, 9:39 pm

fluffypinkyellow wrote:
Everyone says I have a monotone voice. My mother actually says I have an "Asperger's accent" :lol: She also refers to there being a "gay accent"

I don't sound monotonous to myself. To myself, I just sound pretty natural. Forcing more expression feels very strange and artificial.

LOL! That is CUTE.

I am a gay WOMAN, so my gay voice would sound different than yours....wait, you are female. What the heck? I know guy's have "gay accent or voice" but I never knew what women had.

I have a somewhat low voice, and it sounds even more low when I am monotone.

- Albert Einstein

salem44dream
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 10:56 am

Ha ha, I don't mean to laugh but this conversation is getting very confusing! I'm a gay man, and I think I would have that accent but for the fact that my monotone, bass voice covers it up. The gay male accent is mostly a stereotype, I think though -- most of the gay men I know just sound neutral. The minority are either somewhat feminine sounding or just the opposite, very macho sounding. Me?! JUST MONOTONE!! The only thing that breaks it up is that I have a very loud laugh. Can't help myself.