Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

salem44dream
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 10:56 am

Ha ha, I don't mean to laugh but this conversation is getting very confusing! I'm a gay man, and I think I would have that accent but for the fact that my monotone, bass voice covers it up. The gay male accent is mostly a stereotype, I think though -- most of the gay men I know just sound neutral. The minority are either somewhat feminine sounding or just the opposite, very macho sounding. Me?! JUST MONOTONE!! The only thing that breaks it up is that I have a very loud laugh. Can't help myself.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 11:11 am

My voice tone remains relatively unchanged even when singing an uplifting song like Elvis Presley's cover of Johnny B. Goode:

https://soundcloud.com/lucas_sleite/johnny-b-goode-7

However, depending on how much I like/dislike the conversation, my voice tone can either be neutral or excited. When it is neutral, I speak slowly and the sound may be muffled. When it is excited, I will speak very quickly and my voice will be louder and clearer.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 11:26 am

this is my voice. i have posted it before.
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... 34956&q=hi

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2012, 9:13 pm

salem44dream wrote:
Ha ha, I don't mean to laugh but this conversation is getting very confusing! I'm a gay man, and I think I would have that accent but for the fact that my monotone, bass voice covers it up. The gay male accent is mostly a stereotype, I think though -- most of the gay men I know just sound neutral. The minority are either somewhat feminine sounding or just the opposite, very macho sounding. Me?! JUST MONOTONE!! The only thing that breaks it up is that I have a very loud laugh. Can't help myself.

=) lol. I haven't meet a "macho sounding" gay guy. I have meet a monotone-like gay guy, he is a good friend of mine. There is a gay English instructor at my college and he is about as macho a gay guy I ever meet and it is not that deep of a voice, it is more on the neutral side.

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"
- Albert Einstein

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2012, 9:15 pm

Magnus_Rex wrote:
My voice tone remains relatively unchanged even when singing an uplifting song like Elvis Presley's cover of Johnny B. Goode:

https://soundcloud.com/lucas_sleite/johnny-b-goode-7

However, depending on how much I like/dislike the conversation, my voice tone can either be neutral or excited. When it is neutral, I speak slowly and the sound may be muffled. When it is excited, I will speak very quickly and my voice will be louder and clearer.

It sounds neutral and deep but I can hear you clearly.

- Albert Einstein

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2012, 9:16 pm

b9 wrote:
this is my voice. i have posted it before.
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... 34956&q=hi

Wow. Deep voice. lol. It is a bit muffled but overall it sounds good.

- Albert Einstein

salem44dream
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 9:28 pm

Well the notes are all right on. So if you have that down, why not take singing lessons? After all, us aspies CAN learn ...

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 11:40 pm

ibtiamat wrote:
It sounds neutral and deep but I can hear you clearly.

Yes, I only seem to mumble when I am talking to people I am not familiar with. Every conversation I have with them is punctuated by requests for me to repeat myself. But I believe it is related to my social anxiety; I am usually worried that I am going to say something stupid (which I eventually do).

salem44dream wrote:
Well the notes are all right on. So if you have that down, why not take singing lessons? After all, us aspies CAN learn ...

Who, me? I do not think my singing voice is good enough for that; too monotonous.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2012, 3:29 am

It makes deadpan so much easier though.

JenJazz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2012, 1:52 pm

i find im either monotone or i mimic my friend down to the last syllable i cant help it it just kin of happens :-s xx

Drone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2012, 3:14 pm

My family says I talk like a robot, so yes I am monotone. It really surprised me the first time I heard a recording of it. People don't normally ask me to repeat myself, though. I talk clearly, but without expression.

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2012, 1:52 am

Drone wrote:
My family says I talk like a robot, so yes I am monotone. It really surprised me the first time I heard a recording of it. People don't normally ask me to repeat myself, though. I talk clearly, but without expression.

I sound like a robot and to not pause at "commas" (whatever those are LOL) when I read out loud.

- Albert Einstein

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:53 am

i do not have a monotonic voice, but my vocal inflections are not correlative with the average "ear". i inflect in a way that suits me instinctively, and many people think i am rather pompous and snobbish, but they are wrong.
here is another example of my normal speech.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSOUElKcdjA[/youtube]
and here is a third example.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYejsuR2ark&list=UUpB1H594Ek2H_hWBxJ7ja7g&index=26[/youtube]

i am quite scatterbrained in many ways it may seem, but i always maintain a focus that i am happy with.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 1:16 pm

I only have monotone voice if I am nervous with someone. I have one friend who I get on well with and we have so much in common and she does do her best to include me and accept me for who I am, but I find I speak in monotone with her quite a lot because I find I am nervous of her at times. Although she is nice and would never mis-treat a friend, she can be quite bossy at times, and that is what I sometimes feel nervous of, and I'm just always afraid to speak in my normal voice (which has tone). I hate speaking in monotone with her, but I can't seem to help it. When I come away, I find I have a sore throat because of holding the muscles stiff in my chest and throat in order to unintentionally speak to her in this dreaded monotone. :oops: :(

I do always speak in ''cockney style'' though, whoever I talk to. I find most people try to sound all their T's when speaking to people in authority, but I find I don't.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 3:29 pm

Oh yeah, I am said to have a monotonous voice. The funny thing is that I can´t hear it. To my ears, I seem pretty decent when it comes to using my articulation and the tone of voice. But others don´t think so. They constantly reprimand me on my monotonous voice, and my mother even says it has a negatively hypnotic quality - to the point she says it makes her want to throw up. I think she just exaggerates, but hey, who knows? I can´t hear it. I think my voice is pretty normal.

LucindaClown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2012, 5:50 pm

My parents used to get upset with me for have a monotone voice as a child. Especially if they misunderstood it as me being a smartalec. My mom sometimes thought I just didn't care about stuff, but it's really just that I don't express myself that much. Now that I'm older, I simply concentrate and fake having tone. That does lead to problems when it comes to acquaintances however, because they get to know me with the fake expressive voice, but if I'm tired and forget the voice, it can alienate them if they feel I'm suddenly being short with them.