Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2012, 4:04 pm

I didn't begin to see weight lifting gains till I began eating a healthy diet, rested my muscles a good deal after lifting, and took a few supplements like vitamin D3 reaching a testing level of around 50ng/ml, fish oil, and vitamin K2.

Personally, a sight I like for nutritional information is:

http://robbwolf.com/

Good luck with your lifting!

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 4:56 pm

Adventus wrote:
Research has found the weight you lift does not matter. you just need to lift until you fatigue the muscle. This means more reps with light weights. The results will be same as heavy weights with few reps.

Also focus on core.. This does not mean crunches only. pay attention to form. DO NOT OVERLIFT!. Slow and controlled is the name of the game/ Don't rush it or you might hurt yourself .

You can always find research that back up your claims no matter what you believe. Genereally speaking, there's very little correlation between endurance and overall muscle mass, but the correlation between lean mass and strengtth is almost linear.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 6:07 pm

nrgandy wrote:
Adventus the weight you lift does matter and this guy is a rugby player so needs strength so low rep would be best for him with small increasements. this way he will get stronger which he needs for his sport

I thought the OP was a girl. That's why I gave advice, because I remember hearing a lot of times that girls gain differently than boys do.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

10 Aug 2012, 12:44 am

1000Knives wrote:
I'd say focus on lower body strength if you're doing it for a sport, especially rugby. In your case, you especially want a strong back, to keep yourself from getting hurt from getting tackled/falling down. In your case, the classic deadlift/squats should do you well. You're playing on your feet, so obviously having a more strong lower body will make you faster for short distances. For longer distance, then you really have to train the aerobic component more, but yeah. An interesting thing I read was (I don't have verification for it, so yeah) they put lower weight class Olympic lifters vs sprinters, and the Olympic lifters could actually keep up to 40-50 yards with the Olympic level sprinters.

I'm actually not too bad with the lower body stuff. I think I should get into the aerobics, though. That could give my poor fibro-myalgia pained calves a better chance.

Quote:
As far as reps/sets/days a week lifting go, that's an endless debate, if someone found some super secret combo, everyone would use it, but it varies a lot on the person, what they're doing, etc. So while there's lots of recommendations (ie, 5x5 is probably most popular) you're gonna have to experiment and see what gives you the results you're looking for.

Right now I'm just doing 6x10 reps for each machine.

Quote:
Generally, higher reps and lower weight builds more mass, lower reps and high weight, strength. Generally the lower reps tax the central nervous system most, in my case, doing that with mental health issues wassn't a stellar idea. By low reps, I'm talking only doing triples, doubles and singles for most things. It'll build strength (and mass), but the mental harshness of it can burn you out, so that's why people shy away from it, as they feel better doing high reps (hormones and chemicals like seratonin.) Westside Barbell, pretty much the strongest powerlifting gym around, does heavy days and light days, light days to increase speed. Westside methods might be something you wanna look into, they incorporate "the big 3" exercises, but they do have a successful track record training athletes with their methods, and they use a lot of assistance exercises.

I'm not looking for mass, I have plenty of that already. :lol:

Quote:
As far as machines/isolation exercises go, they're not like...the devil, as lots of trainers (ala Crossfit/Mark Rippetoe/etc) make them out to be, but they're not really a good way to develop strength or very useable muscle mass. That said, I watched a video of Spain's national Olympic weightlifting team, and they have leg curl machines, should say something. Their purpose is basically, to use them for PT/injury prevention. Like for me, I'm using them now to rehab my knees. So they're good if you're using them in the right context, but bad if you're using them as the end all be all, which most people today do.

I don't really use machines that much, actually.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

10 Aug 2012, 12:45 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
nrgandy wrote:
Adventus the weight you lift does matter and this guy is a rugby player so needs strength so low rep would be best for him with small increasements. this way he will get stronger which he needs for his sport

I thought the OP was a girl. That's why I gave advice, because I remember hearing a lot of times that girls gain differently than boys do.

8O

:lol:

Dude, I'm a girl, not a guy.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 12:50 am

Adventus wrote:
Research has found the weight you lift does not matter. you just need to lift until you fatigue the muscle. This means more reps with light weights. The results will be same as heavy weights with few reps.

I have noticed this while I was lifting. It's definitely a lot easier on me.

Quote:
Also focus on core.. This does not mean crunches only. pay attention to form. DO NOT OVERLIFT!. Slow and controlled is the name of the game/ Don't rush it or you might hurt yourself .

Thanks. I actually already have a good core, I just wanted to make it better. I've mostly been doing push-ups and planks to strengthen it, and a few poses that are beneficial for my position.

Now, if I can just drop down to 170, it would be perfect. :chin:

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 12:52 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
In my late teens I was into bodybuilding for about a year. I never looked hardbody girl buff or anything but you could really see some results because I've always been way too skinny, and I was able to bulk up, build muscle, and I looked curvier too it seemed. I also had good definition. This is what I remember from it.

You need a day in between to rest the muscle if you want to build it. Work upper body one day, lower body the next, abs every day. If you don't work out every day then do your whole workout every other day and work on your abs at home.

I'm not sure what rugby requires because I don't know what it is, but the girl who was training me had me go on 6 week cycles. A bulking cycle where I did low reps and heavy weight to failure for the number of reps for 6 weeks, then a maintenance cycle with medium reps and weight where I was able to do the amount of reps (more reps than before) but it was heavy at the end, then a cutting cycle where I did high reps and low weights, to give me definition.

Also during the bulking cycle I ate more carbs and proteins and dairy, and I snacked all I wanted. During the maintenance cycle I cut back on the snacking and some on the carbs and just ate a regular healthy diet, and during the cutting cycle I cut out the snacks except for fruit and veggies and cut back on the carbs and dairy, and upped the protein.

I'm not sure how it's different for us than for boys, but that's how she had me do it.

Get a trainer there to show you some exercises for each muscle group and start out with one or two per group. Then after you complete a round of all three cycles, add more exercises to your workout. Don't be afraid of the free weights. You'll actually get faster results with them because with a spotter there to keep you in strict form it's actually more work. Machines are good but she kept her girls away from them.

Good luck and let us know how you do! If I think of anything else, I'll add it here. PM me if you like, and I'll try and think back to the ice age when I was young and see if I can find the answer for you. ;-)

:lol:

Thanks, this helps a lot. I'm not really looking for definition, I just want to strengthen my core and my lower body, as well as shed a few pounds. ;)

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 2:13 am

www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sp ... cd01.hydra

Good article there. Women usually do need a few more reps than men do, according to it.

But uh... you gotta squat. Yeah. If you take any advice, squat, squat, squat. Generally go heavy for squats, too. Heavy and deep, and you shall be able to have strength to surpass the mere mortals around you. Deadlifting is great, too, I wanna try good mornings out seriously, though, as I want to be able to snatch more, and my problem is the second pull, so...

Also, if you don't get super greedy with the amount of weight you initially try, Olympic lifts (snatch and clean and jerk) are fun fun fun, and they're about the most "compound" of a movement you can get. I mean there is a degree of danger in doing them, but just read up on the technique, and be careful. They're FUN though.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 1:57 pm

1000Knives wrote:
www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/fun_with_women;jsessionid=9A1BB22E3C86C774BC71BF5C7D087962-mcd01.hydra

Good article there. Women usually do need a few more reps than men do, according to it.

But uh... you gotta squat. Yeah. If you take any advice, squat, squat, squat. Generally go heavy for squats, too. Heavy and deep, and you shall be able to have strength to surpass the mere mortals around you. Deadlifting is great, too, I wanna try good mornings out seriously, though, as I want to be able to snatch more, and my problem is the second pull, so...

Also, if you don't get super greedy with the amount of weight you initially try, Olympic lifts (snatch and clean and jerk) are fun fun fun, and they're about the most "compound" of a movement you can get. I mean there is a degree of danger in doing them, but just read up on the technique, and be careful. They're FUN though.

Keeping your back straight when doing good mornings with a heavy weight is very hard. If I remember correctly, Bruce Lee injured his back on just 60 kgs.

If you want to increase your snatch, try rack-pulling. :)

Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

I've recently started doing what Drew Baye says to do in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nIZ4Yih_88 , and it's really working for me.

The basics are:
1. do 5 basic compound exercises (Vertical Push: Shoulder/Overhead Press, Vertical Pull: Lat pulldown or pull-up, Horizontal Push: Chest Press or Bench Press, Horizontal Pull: Row, Legs: Leg Press or Dead Lift), You will need a spotter if doing a free weight version of these exercises.
1. Do slow controlled movements (3 seconds up, and 3+ seconds down)
2. Do 7-10 reps for 1 set, with the highest weight you can do a full set with (if you are new start with a moderate weight until you get used to the movements), when you reach your last rep keep the force up and hold it there for a few more seconds, then slowly put it back down
3. give 3-5 or more days for recovery (2-3 workouts per 2 week period)

You should only really need to add in Isolation exercises if you feel a certain muscle is lagging behind the rest.

A video that has some more scientific explanation on why a program like this works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PdJFbjWHEU