Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 3:46 pm

I don't have any of these physical AS stereotypes. My eyes are not bigger than average, they are blue-ish-green, and my nose is just ordinary. I don't think I have any physical features that stand out, and anyway everybody's got a different look so I don't see how an Aspie would stand out by their physical look, because Aspies don't have a signifficantly different look like those with Down's Syndrome.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 4:34 pm

theys nothing form any souces to suggest a aspie look
i know it may not mean theys no aspie look but theys more likely to be a autie look then a aspie look

and one to my next point:

analyser23 wrote:
From http://EzineArticles.com/5163093"

"People with autism have some facial similarities sometimes, especially in children. For example, high forehead, Low facial muscle tone, pale skin, ear slapping and wide eyes. Of course you can not diagnose autism or Asperger's just because of these facial traits, but, if 100 photos of faces are shown and ten of them were autistic, you could always pick up several."

From http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... res-study/

"The study found children with autism had wider eyes, and a "broader upper face," compared with typically developing children. According to the study, children with autism also had a shorter middle region of the face - including the nose and cheeks - as well as a wider mouth and philtrum, the divot above the lip and below the nose. "

I also found it odd when I came across that AS partners site to hear partners stating their aspie partner had a certain "look", in particular, a "flat look like Bill Gates" or something along those lines. I guess that might be the low muscle tone thing?

I have also heard people say that Aspies have bags/lines under their eyes.

I am not sure about any of that stuff though - I havent really met that many aspies in real life.

My psych told me I have a very blank face with limited movement. I have a large forehead. People tend to like my eyes - I think they are "thinking" eyes. And most people think I look sad/bored when I am not at that time.

I do have dark hair, and dark blue eyes, and my face can get quite pale although I have olive skin and my body can get quite tanned.

for me i would say pale skin.
from what i seen the pale skin part may be true

i go to a school with people with asd's and theys alot of the small number of puples theys lots of them with pale skin

qo0op
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2012, 7:25 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Yes.

It's the lack of nonverbal cues.

This.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 10:07 am

I know loads of people with pale skin, I come from a pale skinned family and none of them are even close to Aspie.

Cesar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2012, 2:36 am

I suppose I do look as a normal regular aspie

Samian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2012, 6:29 am

my therapist says I have 2 facial expressions - no expression or slightly anoyed.....

if you want to generalise I'd say "no or inappropriate facial expression / body language gives us away within a few minutes if someone is watching for clues........oh yes .....we have a look alright

Then there's the voice and the posture .....more clues....

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 7:39 am

Imweird wrote:
When watching videos or seeing pictures of people with Asperger's or HFA, I thought I noticed a pattern in what we all look like. I see a lot of dark hair, dark eyes, fair skin and a similarity around the eyes and eyebrows. In short, it seems that a lot of us could pass for siblings or at least 1st cousins. Is it just me, or a coincidence, or does anyone else see this?

dark hair? nope, I'm naturally blonde.
dark eyes? mine are a hazely grayish bluish.
fair skin? I'll take that one. Usually I'm either the lightest or second lightest shade in makeup. And it could be that none of us care about tanning or that fake tanner crap.
analyser23 wrote:
From http://EzineArticles.com/5163093"

"People with autism have some facial similarities sometimes, especially in children. For example, high forehead, Low facial muscle tone, pale skin, ear slapping and wide eyes. Of course you can not diagnose autism or Asperger's just because of these facial traits, but, if 100 photos of faces are shown and ten of them were autistic, you could always pick up several."

"The study found children with autism had wider eyes, and a "broader upper face," compared with typically developing children. According to the study, children with autism also had a shorter middle region of the face - including the nose and cheeks - as well as a wider mouth and philtrum, the divot above the lip and below the nose. "

I also found it odd when I came across that AS partners site to hear partners stating their aspie partner had a certain "look", in particular, a "flat look like Bill Gates" or something along those lines. I guess that might be the low muscle tone thing?

I am not sure about any of that stuff though - I havent really met that many aspies in real life.

My psych told me I have a very blank face with limited movement. I have a large forehead. People tend to like my eyes - I think they are "thinking" eyes. And most people think I look sad/bored when I am not at that time.

I do have dark hair, and dark blue eyes, and my face can get quite pale although I have olive skin and my body can get quite tanned.

I don't know what they mean by high forehead except I do have a long forehead. I just have a long face in general though. And a deep face from front to back (even though I do have very pronounced cheeks). I do not, however, have wide eyes. My eyes are teeny tiny small, close-set, with draping hooded eyelids. I do have a distinct nose though. I think that comes from a funky mix of my parents noses though. My dad has a ski-slope for a nose, and my mom is part cherokee, so she has a strong bridge on her nose. So I have a wonky combination of both noses. None of my 3 sisters got stuck with this nose (I'm the only aspie among them). lol I was always the weirdest facially. And the funniest thing is, my face looks so different from a variety of angles too.

DevilKisses wrote:
analyser23 wrote:

I think that's caused by lack of sleep.

Yup! I've had messed sleep for as long as I can remember too. I think many of us have messed sleep. Haven't met an aspie yet that doesn't struggle with sleep in some way shape or form.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 7:56 am

Projectile wrote:
all aspies have been genetically modified by aliens to look like koalas

Best post in this thread so far. :lol:

And I don't know if anybody cares, but here's my picture if you wanna pick it to death farther.

Koala face?? :twisted: :lol:

GreenShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2012, 8:15 am

Stereotypes... :roll: for me stereotypes are so crazy as "frenology" or "hand-reading" :roll:

I'm big, got bulky body structure, I'm quite tall and quite strong, and got a bit weather-beaten skin. Light-blue eyes and blonde hair.

Am I aspie? Yes!

Do people who looks at me think that I'm autistic? I don't think so.

About two months ago I was on Aspie-meeting.
I think such meeting can heal anyone from "stereotypes" - people are just different - different skin tones, hair, facial features et cetera.

Similarities was easy to find - no eye contact, stims, lack of facial expressions, or specific manner of speaking - but no similarities in appearance.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 8:30 am

GreenShadow wrote:
Stereotypes... :roll: for me stereotypes are so crazy as "frenology" or "hand-reading" :roll:

I'm big, got bulky body structure, I'm quite tall and quite strong, and got a bit weather-beaten skin. Light-blue eyes and blonde hair.

Am I aspie? Yes!

Do people who looks at me think that I'm autistic? I don't think so.

About two months ago I was on Aspie-meeting.
I think such meeting can heal anyone from "stereotypes" - people are just different - different skin tones, hair, facial features et cetera.

Similarities was easy to find - no eye contact, stims, lack of facial expressions, or specific manner of speaking - but no similarities in appearance.

:)
What you have wrote is so true. I sometimes feel that all these physical traits are just invented by some people on this site. On some threads it says ''Aspies do not have any physical features that stand out, which is why the ones on the milder end of the spectrum get funny looks, because we look 'normal'.'' Then on other threads people suddenly claim that there ARE all these physical traits. And most seem just invented from the top of one's head, what could be equally found on any human. Colour skin depends on your race and also your genes. I bet one of these days it's going to say ''Aspies don't have a belly button'' or ''Aspies do have a belly button, is this a signifficant Aspie difference?'' :lol: :lol: :lol:

If there was a forum for people with Down's Syndrome, I bet you don't see half the threads saying ''people with Down's have bigger eyes than average'', then other threads saying, ''people with Down's have small eyes'', then other threads saying, ''people with Down's don't have any differences in eyes at all.''

Jesus, it's either one or the other!

If I could post my video of my school Christmas play when I was 9, I bet some people here would have a wonderful time trying to guess which child I was, being so I was definately the only Aspie among 90 other children! I wasn't behaving any different to the other kids, let alone looking different, so I don't think anybody would be able to single me out.

monstermunch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2012, 9:12 am

Quote:

I bet one of these days it's going to say ''Aspies don't have a belly button'' or ''Aspies do have a belly button, is this a signifficant Aspie difference?''

aahhh! Dont say that! Now you're going to get someone looking at their belly button and going 'ahh, that's quite big/small, must be an aspie trait, do other aspies have a bigger/smaller belly button?'

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 11:01 am

In addition to having people say I look stoned, I've been told by some professors that I have a creepy "1000 yard stare" accompanied with little change in facial expression. I have a short forehead and relatively small features, save for my nose (I've got serious beak) and my eyes aren't dark. Sure, there may be similarities within the aspie population, but there are bound to be commonalities within any given population due to the fact that there are over 6 billion people in the world and only so many phenotypical combinations are possible.

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Aug 2012, 3:17 pm

I think there are overlaps with symptoms of Hypothyroidy:

I have:
Lose joints
Hypotonia (especially facial, I have wrinkle around the mouth since forever, and baby fat)
Protruding ears
Dark eyes and dark brows, harshly contrasting with sick pale skin.

I had comments like "someone so pale must be sick, it must be some illness", even after days under the sun, my skin is still a lifeless white.
I slouch and have a kind of scoliosis.
I have unruly brown hair. Never had a proper haircut (it's not that I haven't tried, my hair is like Nelson Muntz from the Simpsons), short hair cut doesn't suit me because of my undefined features.

I look like a ghost basically.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 5:47 am

Redhead with brown/green eyes, all those similarities you are noticing are just a coincidence.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

man-hands
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2012, 9:22 am

[quote="analyser23"]From http://EzineArticles.com/5163093"

I think there is something to this. My sister's aspie-ish friend and I have that high/wide forehead and widely spaced eyes set of traits. I don't have any of those other traits mentioned, though. What the heck is "ear slapping"?
I suggest that another aspie trait could be ears that are set low on the head (this means that if you took a photo of someone and drew a straight line across the bottom of the eyes---and a straight line across the top of the ears---the ears would be lower than the eyes. Very few people have low ears---it could be another aspie trait.)

ASD_Geek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2014, 7:55 pm

I have lines and bags under my eyes. My face just doesn't seem to be conclusive to smiling. even when I force a smile, my mouth makes a straight line. I've been told in the past that I always look angry or miserable even when I am not in that mood.