Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 9:47 pm

Overstimulation is a huge issue for me. I had a rough day today in that respect, and realized that I don't have any coping mechanisms. When I shut down, I shut down, and that's it. I feel really icky right now and I don't know what to do about it other than sit in front of my computer in the dark in silence, hoping the phone doesn't ring.

Has anyone got any tried-and-true coping mechanisms?

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 9:51 pm

Sorry I don't haves any strategies to improve however I am working on trying better manage things to reduce the amount of overstimulation

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2012, 9:55 pm

Haha, I was like that too during my Teenage Angst ret*d Stage of Ultimate Waste +2

Something stressful happens? you can't cope with reality anymore? you can't enjoy anything and you keep feeling horrible? shut down and go to sleep!! !!It will be better tomorrow!

....except...NOT AT ALL and HAHA MISS

or in other words
1. Face your stress. Don't run away from it. Don't give up.
2. Deny it's existence.
3. Realize it was never there.
4. ???
5. b***h how much time you have lost
6. ???
7. Then profit.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 10:01 pm

nrau wrote:
Haha, I was like that too during my Teenage Angst ret*d Stage of Ultimate Waste +2

Something stressful happens? you can't cope with reality anymore? you can't enjoy anything and you keep feeling horrible? shut down and go to sleep!! !!It will be better tomorrow!

....except...NOT AT ALL and HAHA MISS

or in other words
1. Face your stress. Don't run away from it. Don't give up.
2. Deny it's existence.
3. Realize it was never there.
4. ???
5. b***h how much time you have lost
6. ???
7. Then profit.

haha :) Thanks, but unfortunately I can't do anything about the way toddlers are and I can't deny my kid's existence. Being crawled on and squeaked at for hours is a lot to deal with for anyone, but when you add in the cat, the TV, the dishwasher, the laundry, making meals, cleaning the kitchen, the phone, the summer heat, the sunlight pouring through the windows, the lego on the floor, the electronic toys beeping and flashing... well, you get the idea.

So, assuming the stimulation can't really be escaped, does anyone have any good ideas?

LoveHim
Raven
Raven

05 Aug 2012, 10:11 pm

if you have a lover or best friend, let them know you're needing space. just don't ignore them. it hurts. keep communication clear and rest well.