Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 4:32 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
SeppUKu wrote:
notice you said you used to be fascinated with the scouse accent? Whereabouts are you from if you don't mind me asking?

I'm from the South East coast, so nowhere near Liverpool. I just have always had this fascination with the accent. I am half Irish, and I know there are a lot of people of Irish descent in Liverpool - although obviously it's a totally different accent. I don't know where I got the fascination from!

I'm from Liverpool and I have no idea how anybody could be fascinated with our accent, lol. Hardly anybody in Liverpool speaks like TV scousers. Some Liverpool accents (there are a few different accents even within Liverpool) can sound quite nice, mostly the ones which are less "phlegmy". Others sound awful. Also, a lot of the chav (we call them scallies) kids in Liverpool severely exaggerate their accents making it sound even more disgusting; I think they think it makes them sound tough or something. Because of this if you are a scouser you can usually fairly reliably figure out what kind of a person somebody is just from their accent and clothes even if you normally suck at empathy and predicting people; if a certain kind of dressed person with a certain accent approaches you asking for the time, they are definitely not looking for the time (for those with trouble with metaphor: they are planning to beat you up or rob you).

Edit: Scouser of Irish descent here by the way lol; got a good Irish name but not gonna tell the whole world on here ;)