Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 6:19 pm

I have a beautiful accent. :)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 6:35 pm

I have a southern drawl,I like all accents ,they are beautiful and diverse ,but I do have a problem with the stigma that people who have a southern accent must be ignorant,narrow minded bigots,that's just being culturally prejudiced,I'm nothing like that.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 6:42 pm

SeppUKu wrote:
notice you said you used to be fascinated with the scouse accent? Whereabouts are you from if you don't mind me asking?

I'm from the South East coast, so nowhere near Liverpool. I just have always had this fascination with the accent. I am half Irish, and I know there are a lot of people of Irish descent in Liverpool - although obviously it's a totally different accent. I don't know where I got the fascination from!

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2012, 7:06 pm

yankeedoodads wrote:
Speaking clearly is enough of an issue for me that I try not to monkey around with it too much. My voice tends to have a "slursh" to it, not unlike that of a drunkard. (I do not drink.)

Thank God there's someone else. I tend to slur my speech a bit sometimes, like I'm drunk, I thought I had some disease, given that the slurring was noticeable to me, while utterly sober. Now I must obsessively research this slurred speech thing.

Squark
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Aug 2012, 9:39 pm

RobBAutsider wrote:
Squark wrote:
... I was trying to have a conversation NOT an argument !...

No, you were not.

My first instinct was to not reply to this but the Aspie in me is not allowing me to take that path lol
It is ludicrous for you to think that you know what my intention was, It is clear from my past comments that I was open for discussion and even prepared to view it from a different angle AS I DID.

yankeedoodads
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2012, 12:36 pm

To fill in NB15, the "slurshing", (that is the best word I can come up with for it), is a constant thing, but much harder when I am tired or other-wised stressed. Some of this is a question of concentration. The less I can think/concentrate on my words, the worse the problem gets.

It also got worse about 8 years back when my health to a turn for the worst. (This was wholly unrelated to any sort of autism, but many of the effects have been permanent.)

When I noticed how bad my own voice, was, I began checking the voices of others. There are plenty of other people with lousy voices, possibly related to some kind of mental problem. Some of it also seems to be class based though.

MEDrake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2012, 2:45 pm

Funny, but I'm also fond of imitating a generic american version of the English, Scottish and Irish accents. I don't often do it but for fun except once I went to a party with a friend (an aspie at a party! Oh no!) and since I didn't know anyone, I pretended I was Scottish the whole night. A couple people asked me questions about Scotland, but it was a party and everyone was drinking so nobody cared. Truth is, I think concentrating on maintaining the accent kept me from freaking out about all the strange people and noises.

I wouldn't call it an accent per se, but I have noticed quite often I say words strangely, sometimes almost foreign sounding.

rapscallion
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Aug 2012, 3:33 pm

I live in Arkansas and people always ask where I'm from. When I lived in mississippi my 9th grade english teacher even called me at home and asked where I was from. I told her arkansas and she said something like, "no that's not it, where did you lived before that. I told her I lived in arizona and then hawaii but moved to Arkansas before I was 3. So she decided that must my why I talk the way I do.
That scenario played out many times until I understood what was happening - not until I joined the army. In '94 a buddy and I were watching Tombstone in the "theater" (we were stationed a small post in korea). Val Kilmer was so awesome my friend said he wished he had a southern accent. I said something about my southern accent and he looked at me like I grew a second head. He challenge me to say something in a southern accent. When I said, "I'm your huckleberry" I listenened to myself talk and immediately became embarrassed.

Rapture1982
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2012, 8:17 pm

My mother would randomly bust out with a Irish accent. It was strange. I am kinda monotone (so Iv'e been told) and I talk in textbook English. I can turn off/on my southern accent that I aquired growing up in rural East Texas though. It gets harder if you don't practice.

zeldazonk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2012, 8:54 pm

Yes!
I don't really do it anymore but when I was younger I used different accents with strangers - bus drivers, shop assistants etc.
I never really liked my voice or accent (does anyone relate to this?) so it was fun to change it.
I think I mostly did an English (fairly posh), Polish and New Zealand accent.
How strange, I've never met anyone else who does this!

Best, Zel.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 9:04 pm

Tequila wrote:
What is an "Irish/Scottish accent"? You might want to be careful with that as Irish and Scottish accents are very different, even within Ireland and Scotland. A Dublin accent is enormously different from an Edinburgh or a Glasgow accent.

Ain't that the truth. I have a friend from Ireland who used to visit and for the first 2 hours he is here, I cannot understand a word he says. One year he brought his girlfriend and I could understand her just fine. I asked her why and she said regional differences, like the difference between Boston and Arkansas in the US.

My son has an accent, but it is his own, unique accent. He does not speak like me (I am not from where I live) and he does not speak like the people who are native here.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 10:58 pm

I play around with accents and will do one occasionally for fun, but I can't keep it up. I can do a few words then I fall back into my native tongue, which is a weird amalgam of New Hampshire (Mom grew up there and I learned to speak from her) and Southeast Texas (where I grew up). I'm constantly getting asked by people where I'm from. When I tell them I grew up in Texas, they don't believe me. I can go all textbook when I'm explaining something -- I guess you could call it my teacher voice (no, I'm not a teacher but I've always been told I should have been) -- but I can also sound completely Texan when talking to friends and go all New England-y when talking to family.

I don't have a problem with people understanding me in an accent, but rather in speed. I talk super-fast and get a lot of looks and comments from people about it -- things like "How do you talk that fast?" and "Do you breathe when you talk?" I've even heard myself on an answering machine and can't even understand what I'm saying.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 11:46 pm

(Thread moved from Autism discussion to Random)

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 1:03 am

my accent is Canadian. i didn't think i sounded too distinctly Canadian until i recorded myself and heard how i said "about". it doesn't sound as extreme as an east coast accent, but in my area we say the_ou_ differently in the word "around" as opposed to "about". it's a subtle difference, but it exists.

i have heard that Mike Myers does a good Scottish accent. is that true?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 4:00 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
my accent is Canadian. i didn't think i sounded too distinctly Canadian until i recorded myself and heard how i said "about". it doesn't sound as extreme as an east coast accent, but in my area we say the_ou_ differently in the word "around" as opposed to "about". it's a subtle difference, but it exists.

i have heard that Mike Myers does a good Scottish accent. is that true?

In the movie "So I married an axe murderer" he plays a kilt wearing scottish character (just seen snatches of the movie), and does a great scottish brogue.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 4:32 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
SeppUKu wrote:
notice you said you used to be fascinated with the scouse accent? Whereabouts are you from if you don't mind me asking?

I'm from the South East coast, so nowhere near Liverpool. I just have always had this fascination with the accent. I am half Irish, and I know there are a lot of people of Irish descent in Liverpool - although obviously it's a totally different accent. I don't know where I got the fascination from!

I'm from Liverpool and I have no idea how anybody could be fascinated with our accent, lol. Hardly anybody in Liverpool speaks like TV scousers. Some Liverpool accents (there are a few different accents even within Liverpool) can sound quite nice, mostly the ones which are less "phlegmy". Others sound awful. Also, a lot of the chav (we call them scallies) kids in Liverpool severely exaggerate their accents making it sound even more disgusting; I think they think it makes them sound tough or something. Because of this if you are a scouser you can usually fairly reliably figure out what kind of a person somebody is just from their accent and clothes even if you normally suck at empathy and predicting people; if a certain kind of dressed person with a certain accent approaches you asking for the time, they are definitely not looking for the time (for those with trouble with metaphor: they are planning to beat you up or rob you).

Edit: Scouser of Irish descent here by the way lol; got a good Irish name but not gonna tell the whole world on here ;)