Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 1:03 am

Just made some slow cooked bacon and I have a jar full of bacon fat leftover from cooking! MMM... I am going to use it on some vegetables and to mix in my kitty's food who could use some weight on her.

What do you use bacon grease/fat for?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 1:11 am

Anything I'd use butter or oil for, pretty much. I just use it to grease pans, etc.

Especially good is, if you're making like... toast, either pan toast or grilled cheese, so good in bacon grease.

One thing I like even better than bacon grease, get a corned beef roast and cook it, and use the fat off it to fry stuff, the best. Reheated corn beef in a frying pan is fantastic, and once you get a *little* cinge it almost tastes like bacon. Evev better, put potatoes in the roasting pan, refry the potatoes with the corned beef, so good.

St. Patrick's Day, they cut the price from 2.50lb to 1.50lb here on corned beef, I gotta stock up...

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 3:43 am

I always like my cheese omelets cooked in bacon grease... Mmm...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 4:44 am

all the good tasting food is fattening. :(

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 7:52 am

pop corn, gravy, veggies, grilled cheese, hamburgers, and to greese any pan

the_beautiful_mess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2012, 8:09 am

My aunt uses it to oil the hinges on their garden gate... :lol:

'I sometimes go to my own little world, but that's okay, they know me there.' ~ Joel Hodgson

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 9:10 am

I hear it's good for "ashy elbows" too.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 7:15 pm

To season vegetables in and to fry some things in. You also use it in making sweet milk gravy.

Even if you have a lot of it, never try to fry chicken or pork chops in bacon grease. The batter doesn't work right.

Also you can heat a little up and spoon it over grits or over cooked apples for breakfast.

Anytime you cook any kind of beans you should put a few spoonfulls of bacon or ham grease in the water even if you put in some fatback. Also add one peeled halved potato and a halved onion. In green beans you may want to add a spoonfull of bacon grease every time it boils down and you have to add more water. If you do this, don't add your sugar until about an hour before they are done.

It's good heated up and spooned onto a biscuit when you don't want something heavy like sausage or ham or egg or cheese on it.

I've fried sliced firm tofu in it before and it's great! If you like fried balogna you could put a little in the pan and use that.

ETA; I always keep a jar or two of bacon grease in my fridge. Next time you cook a ham, get the ham grease too. Thats even better!

ETA again; You can also scramble or fry eggs in it. Thats good to do when you are out of bacon in the morning for breakfast.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 9:01 pm

Good ideas guys... I really like OliveOilMom's ideas! I think I will become a crazy fat collector of many kinds in the near future. Something about having those jars of white gunk in the fridge is strangely... pleasing to the eyes! And then spooning it out, it's like me and my greese are having our little bonding moment.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 9:21 pm

Pondering wrote:
Good ideas guys... I really like OliveOilMom's ideas! I think I will become a crazy fat collector of many kinds in the near future. Something about having those jars of white gunk in the fridge is strangely... pleasing to the eyes! And then spooning it out, it's like me and my greese are having our little bonding moment.

I save mine whenever I fry bacon. Just pour it into the jar when it's cool.

I live in Alabama and I don't think I know many people who don't save their bacon and ham grease. In fact, in little knick knack shops you can buy decorated heavy glass jars with lids and on the jar is painted "grease". There are all sorts of styles of them. I've seen some decorated like the old vegetable cans used to look (my grandmother used to use empty cans for hers) and some that look like Mason jars, some are decorated with flowers, or pigs, or chickens, or cows (nobody saves chicken or cow grease, it's just decoration) or kittens (those either) or butterflies.

They're not but about $5 at most, and if you do decide to start saving your grease, PM me and I'll pick you one up and send it to you in the mail. You can reimburse me when it gets there.

ETA; I just saw that somebody said to grease any pan, but if you have any cast iron skillets, use ONLY bacon grease for them. Also, NEVER EVER wash them. As soon as they are cool you wipe them out good with a paper towel. You never get them wet. You wipe them out really good, then you put some bacon grease on a paper towel and rub it all around on the inside. Then you wait a minute or three and wipe it lightly with another one to get the excess. When you put it up it should still be slightly greasy. Thats why you never stack those kinds of pans, because you dont want grease on the bottom of the one on top of it. If you don't have any iron skillets, I strongly suggest getting at least two, a big one for chicken and a small one for cornbread or hoecake.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 5:43 am

Made some amazzzzing asparagus today, roasted it in a variety of spices, and of coarse bacon grease! I feel buzzed right now.

Where I'm from everyone seems to try to stay fit and healthy by avoiding most fats. I think a lot of people fear most fats due to the semi-recent obesity epidemic. Mostly people here seem to use olive oil, and throw out their bacon/ham fat. I find for most hot dishes olive oil just smokes too easily. I save it for salads dressing and a few not so hot dishes nowadays instead.

Thank you for the offer, but I'm pretty happy at the moment with my old jam jars. I like the plain look they have and the easy to screw on and off top. I might find a pig sticker or somethin', to put on my bacon greese jar hehe... Right now, I have a white pieace of tape on the front that says "Bacon Fat" on it in permanent marker. Why does nobody save beef fat or chicken fat? Those seem like they could be good too.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 4:41 pm

I don't know why nobody saves them. I've just never heard of anybody using them for anything. The South is a pork kinda place though, so maybe it's just here.

I keep mine in plain jars too, but no tape. Everybody knows what it is.

If you like asparagus, this is how I make mine. I pull out piece of aluminum foil long enough to wrap the asparagus loosely in and put it on a cookie sheet. Then I put the asparagus on it and put just a little olive oil on it and and kind of roll the asparagus around with my hand to get it lightly covered in it then I sprinkle dried thyme on it. I wrap it up loosely and cook it on 400 until it's done. It's great that way. I also don't cut the hard bottoms off because I use those to pick it up and eat it.

If you like vegetables, try this. I like to make a vegetable ragout. I get a covered casserolle dish and cut up stuff like squash, zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc and I put in some green and black olives. I pour a little olive oil on it, just enough to coat it, and put in a couple spoons of minced garlic. Then I sprinkle it with basil and oregano. I cover it and cook it on 325 until it's done. When it's ready I sprinkle grated romano cheese on it. Try it, youll like it! You can use just about any kind of vegetable in there I'd imagine.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 11:48 pm

The three seasonings of the south,salt,sugar and baking grease.For the BEST cornbread pour some bacon grease,about 3 to 4 TBLS in a cast iron skillet( OliveOilMom is exactly right about the care and art of the skillet)put in a preheated oven@400 when the grease is warm get it out and pour into your cornbread mix,stir and pour back into the hot skillet bake about 20-30 mnts and you will have tasty,golden crusted bread.My uncle Elmer lived to be 98 and he ate everything cooked in bacon grease,no heart problems,no cancer.It also fries the best fish,okra and squash.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 2:41 am

Just made beef stew, with a bunch of melted bacon fat.... good god, I can't even think right now.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 3:01 am

Pondering wrote:
Just made beef stew, with a bunch of melted bacon fat.... good god, I can't even think right now.

Know whats good in a bowl of beef stew? Ranch dressing. I wouldnt have thought it would be until my kids kept doing it so I tried it.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 9:30 am

I used it to make dog biscuits once.