Is talking to people who are listening to music rude?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 8:11 am

Over here old people at the bus-stop really don't give a tiny s**t if you are listening to music via ipod/mp3 or not, they talk to you, whether you like it or not.

But what are your experiences on this? What do you think about it?

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 8:39 am

Well, I wasn't listening to music, but when I used to "powerwalk" for exercise on my lunch breaks, I'd go past a house where the elderly couple were always out doing yard work. It was on a hill, so I didn't want to stop or I'd lose my momentum. I'd wave or nod, just to be polite, but it apparently wasn't enough. One day, the lady waved me down and demanded, "Do you not speak English?" :evil:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 10:12 am

generation gap? in any case, it is [almost] always more important to chat with our fellow humans than listen to music.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 10:24 am

Mindsigh wrote:
Well, I wasn't listening to music, but when I used to "powerwalk" for exercise on my lunch breaks, I'd go past a house where the elderly couple were always out doing yard work. It was on a hill, so I didn't want to stop or I'd lose my momentum. I'd wave or nod, just to be polite, but it apparently wasn't enough. One day, the lady waved me down and demanded, "Do you not speak English?" :evil:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 11:46 am

Yeah don't care here either, they still ask me for directions or even wave their arms so i can see them and not ignore them at all o_o I never use the bus though.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 12:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
generation gap? in any case, it is [almost] always more important to chat with our fellow humans than listen to music.

This. Even answering a phone is, IMO, rude if you have someone in front of you. If there's voice mail I let it pick up. If not, I tell the caller I'll get back to them and hang up immediately and continue the face-to-face conversation. To me a live body always takes priority.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 12:22 pm

I think so. Unless you need something from them, then you can ask because it won't hurt if they can take their headphones off for a few seconds. If they want to talk. then they will take off their headphones to listen. I also think it's rude to be listening to music as someone is talking to you unless you had them on first and then someone decided to start yammering at you.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 12:27 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Not if they're talking absolute irrelevant BS and just want someone to talk to regardless if he likes it or not.

That's different compared to asking questions or seeking help.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 12:58 pm

It depends on the situation. I find it incredibly rude if a random stranger persists in trying to talk to me about some bs- on the train for example - despite me making it quite clear that I'm not interested in any kind of social interaction at that stage. However, I don't mind if I am listening to my music and somebody asks me, for example, for directions or a light.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 7:56 pm

Uprising wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Not if they're talking absolute irrelevant BS and just want someone to talk to regardless if he likes it or not.

That's different compared to asking questions or seeking help.

that's why i said almost.