Aspergers SIgns/Symptoms....how do they present themselves?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2012, 9:08 am

Just taking this off the website verbatim under signs and symptoms:
"The most distinguishing symptom of AS is a child’s obsessive interest in a single object or topic to the exclusion of any other. Some children with AS have become experts on vacuum cleaners, makes and models of cars, even objects as odd as deep fat fryers. Children with AS want to know everything about their topic of interest and their conversations with others will be about little else. Their expertise, high level of vocabulary, and formal speech patterns make them seem like little professors.

Children with AS will gather enormous amounts of factual information about their favorite subject and will talk incessantly about it, but the conversation may seem like a random collection of facts or statistics, with no point or conclusion.

Their speech may be marked by a lack of rhythm, an odd inflection, or a monotone pitch. Children with AS often lack the ability to modulate the volume of their voice to match their surroundings. For example, they will have to be reminded to talk softly every time they enter a library or a movie theatre.

Unlike the severe withdrawal from the rest of the world that is characteristic of autism, children with AS are isolated because of their poor social skills and narrow interests. In fact, they may approach other people, but make normal conversation impossible by inappropriate or eccentric behavior, or by wanting only to talk about their singular interest.

Children with AS usually have a history of developmental delays in motor skills such as pedaling a bike, catching a ball, or climbing outdoor play equipment. They are often awkward and poorly coordinated with a walk that can appear either stilted or bouncy."

The thing I find that in my own case is different is I dont approach people...or strike out conversations with people on my interests....i might share that occasionally with friends or family but for the most part it stays inside my head and my conversations with the outside resolve around everyday things...however i am not good at talking about everyday things because they dont make a lot of sense to me but I can carey on the the simplest of conversations such as a short response to something such as yes/laughter/hi/wave goodbye as opposed to saying goodbye as its shorter....i seem to have made it my business to compact my statements as tightly as possible. But the signs symptoms on the page lead me to believe this could be withdrawl from the rest of the world as part of lying elsewhere on the spectrum..

When i was three i had a table saw fall on my and broke my collar bone so i was pretty much immobilized. But I was an alright bike rider i think....not as good as my brother but i could do it ok i think. I could not however catch balls very well...my dad would have us play catch in the field near our house and i would always get hit in the head. I dont know how my walk appears...

Anyways...just wondering how others and their symptoms/signs appear.

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2012, 10:14 am

I also find that I never strike out conversations with people on my interests. I don't ever feel the need to tell people.
Although I've never really had a special interest as such. I think it was due to the fact that I knew that once I committed myself to something I would commit to it for life, so everytime I started getting obsessed with something I put it through a checklist and compare it to other things and soon enough something else would come along which had more promise.
As a kid I liked collecting things. I had a stamp collection, collected coins, buttons, stickers and I went through a phase where I collected business cards and would spend time sorting them.

Socially I've always been very awkward. From ages 3-5 I didn't realize there was such a thing as having friends and I remember playing on my own all the time, but in reception I made my first friend. Throughout primary school I could talk to my two or three friends which I always had but around anyone else I was practically mute. Things have improved over the years and now I have alot more friends but I have trouble telling how good friends I am with people and sometimes I act too friendly. I also have trouble with things like eye contact, getting sarcasm and reading facial expressions sometimes.

When I was younger I had noticable lisp and got teased about it when I was 13 (it was a terrible year). I'm not particularly uncoordinated and I don't have bad posture but I tend to look at the ground whenever I walk so I suppose that looks a bit weird. I have little twiches which come and go like blinking, making squeaky noises, cracking my jaw and raising my shoulders. I also get the feeling of uneveness like if I touch something with one finger I have to touch it with all my fingers.

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2012, 4:04 pm

[quote="treblecake"]I also find that I never strike out conversations with people on my interests. I don't ever feel the need to tell people.
Although I've never really had a special interest as such. I think it was due to the fact that I knew that once I committed myself to something I would commit to it for life, so everytime I started getting obsessed with something I put it through a checklist and compare it to other things and soon enough something else would come along which had more promise.
As a kid I liked collecting things. I had a stamp collection, collected coins, buttons, stickers and I went through a phase where I collected business cards and would spend time sorting them.

Socially I've always been very awkward. From ages 3-5 I didn't realize there was such a thing as having friends and I remember playing on my own all the time, but in reception I made my first friend. Throughout primary school I could talk to my two or three friends which I always had but around anyone else I was practically mute. Things have improved over the years and now I have alot more friends but I have trouble telling how good friends I am with people and sometimes I act too friendly. I also have trouble with things like eye contact, getting sarcasm and reading facial expressions sometimes.

When I was younger I had noticable lisp and got teased about it when I was 13 (it was a terrible year). I'm not particularly uncoordinated and I don't have bad posture but I tend to look at the ground whenever I walk so I suppose that looks a bit weird. I have little twiches which come and go like blinking, making squeaky noises, cracking my jaw and raising my shoulders. I also get the feeling of uneveness like if I touch something with one finger I have to touch it with all my fingers.[/quote}

Ya I have that hand inclination as well to feel things with all my fingers.

3-5 i always had my brothers as my friend..and pretty much same thing til junior high when we went to different schools and i would just hang around him and his friends but not saying much at all.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 4:45 pm

legomyego wrote:
Just taking this off the website verbatim under signs and symptoms:
"The most distinguishing symptom of AS is a child’s obsessive interest in a single object or topic to the exclusion of any other. Some children with AS have become experts on vacuum cleaners, makes and models of cars, even objects as odd as deep fat fryers. Children with AS want to know everything about their topic of interest and their conversations with others will be about little else. Their expertise, high level of vocabulary, and formal speech patterns make them seem like little professors.

Children with AS will gather enormous amounts of factual information about their favorite subject and will talk incessantly about it, but the conversation may seem like a random collection of facts or statistics, with no point or conclusion.

Their speech may be marked by a lack of rhythm, an odd inflection, or a monotone pitch. Children with AS often lack the ability to modulate the volume of their voice to match their surroundings. For example, they will have to be reminded to talk softly every time they enter a library or a movie theatre.

Unlike the severe withdrawal from the rest of the world that is characteristic of autism, children with AS are isolated because of their poor social skills and narrow interests. In fact, they may approach other people, but make normal conversation impossible by inappropriate or eccentric behavior, or by wanting only to talk about their singular interest.

Children with AS usually have a history of developmental delays in motor skills such as pedaling a bike, catching a ball, or climbing outdoor play equipment. They are often awkward and poorly coordinated with a walk that can appear either stilted or bouncy."

That was the story of my childhood. However, it is not the only way it presents itself as what is decribed here is more of the "active but odd" type of autism. There is also a disinterested form of it as well.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2012, 7:25 pm

"The most distinguishing symptom of AS is a child’s obsessive interest in a single object or topic to the exclusion of any other."

Not true, just a generalization. Not all Aspies are like this. Some are very quiet and never talk about their special interests.

If you've met one Aspie, you've met one Aspie…

MOWHAWK1982
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2014, 1:52 pm

Quote:
Normality is pointless, cuz it has no objective value. Imagine you were part of a society of cannibals. It would be good and normal to eat human flesh, right? :lol: :lol: Unless you'd like to live by NT standards, the word inappropriate is inappropriate. :lol: Little AS buggers don't have poor social skills but poor NT social skills