Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 7:26 pm

do you have good or bad fine motor skills?

I normally have bad fine motor skills but some things they are really good.

for example a few weeks ago my uncle who has been a professional pipe welder for 40 years taught me how to how to arc weld. arc welding requires tons of fine motor skill as you need steady hands to keep the arc length correct as you burn up the rod. yet other things I just cant keep my hands steady.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 8:49 pm

Mine definitely suck overall...I've had my breaks of good display of fine motor skills, but not sustained :)
Most of the time, I'm not even aware of when they're deficient by the NT yardstick - too many times I've had NTs tell me that I'm holding something awkwardly and they have to demonstrate a few times, and I'm totally bewildered by how they reached that conclusion.
I'd be worried during arc welding of making a mistake - not for me!! :o

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 12:01 am

Idk if playing a guitar counts; I had a recently departed friend who observed my subconscious ability to make adjustments in finger pressure to keep the pitch correct, I hadn't thought of it until he pointed it out. I am absolutely fecal at playing scales other than pentatonic.

I can weld also, doing it with rods is a challenge even for a neurotypical. I tend to rush the bead so sometimes the base metal doesn't get hot enough and the weld fails. Oh well that's what grinders are for. BTW with a 70 amp machine using 1/16" rods you get a lot more control than with the thicker rods

Also unsure about how I measure up to NT standards. After I came out of a hard romantic rejection in my late 20s I began obsessing on whether I projecting myself as 'graceful' enough, to put it the only way I can think of. I joined this 1 band that liked to go out and eat after every practice, with the benzos, weed and booze I was doing at the time it felt like I had to work twice as hard to keep the mask on in those situations, I was convinced they would think I was eating a frenchfry wrong and the chemicals only seemed to amplify it

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 12:02 am

I think mine are good. I read mine were lacking in my childhood even though I could button buttons, zip zippers, write, use silverware, use scissors. I am not sure how they were lacking. They seemed fine to me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

macleayaspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2012, 1:43 am

I would say that mine are good. I can juggle five balls with no problems. However when I was about 7 y/o I couldn't catch a ball if someone slowly tossed it for me. I remember having lots of problems with tying my shoe laces as a child.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 8:41 pm

My fine motor skills used to be sub-par, but after spending several years assembling, sculpting and painting 40K models, I've pretty much remedied that problem. There are times where I temporarily lose my manual dexterity, which is quite annoying. I still do things to maintain manual dexterity such as manipulating certain objects, drawing, target practice and of course working with my Warhammer models.