Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2012, 12:51 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new here and I made a thread http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt206732.html in another subforum which only received one unsatisfying response; what I wanted from the post was opinions, because whilst it would be easy for me to get an AS assessment with the Asperger Service, which is situated where the Eating Disorder Service I attend is, if I do have AS, as a female who isn't, say, obsessed with trains, it will be more difficult to diagnose, and I don't know how hard it would be to find a professional who knows their stuff. Females on here who don't have typical/male presentation and/or have eating disorders, I'm especially interested in your thoughts. I feel special snowflake-y and lame for wondering about this, but I'm different and it feels like if I'm somewhere in the middle of Normal and AS.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 2:05 pm

Perhaps you could ask the mods to move this into the Women's Forum? You can do that by going to the 'Wrong Planet Discussion' forum (it's near the bottom of the forum lists) and posting in the 'Moderator Attention' thread.

It may be that your slightly combative user name has not endeared you to other women on WP. Putting that aside, if you have access to a diagnostic team I think there is no harm suggesting the possibility of AS to your psychiatrist. You do not have to be obsessed with trains to receive a diagnosis - a professional with experience in Aspergers will have an understanding of the differences in male and female presentation of AS.

I'm undiagnosed (or self-diagnosed, if you prefer) and although I do rather like trains, I don't have any particularly masculine special interests. My interests are perhaps more mainstream than some of those with Aspergers; it's the narrow nature of those interests and the intensity with which I pursue them that makes it an Aspergers trait, not the interest itself.

I know very little about links between AS. I was diagnosed with an eating disorder as a teenager (first anorexia, then bulimia and eventually they gave up and diagnosed Eating Disorder NOS - not otherwise specified). I've come to believe that a lot of what was considered an unhealthy and rigid attitude to food was partly as a result of AS. I have no problems with eating now and I am a healthy weight, but I still have very 'odd' behaviour around food - it is the area where my AS is perhaps the most obvious.

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2012, 2:07 pm

Having a similar problem. Being smart I learned to adapt to it, but still am confused if I have AS and not schizophrenia spectrum.

I'm surprised the new DSM isn't eliminating schizophrenia, but instead seeking to eliminate aspergers, while schizophrenia labels themselves are sometimes more damaging than if a person was treated for something else. I think they should get rid of most of schizophrenia because it's too broad and vague. It basically means, "you can't deal"

I would write down a list of your symptoms and how you feel you have Aspergers. I just did this, and one on the list was I can remember as early as age one years old, and took the sat at twelve, and I wrote all the places I lived and experiences in chronoligical order.

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better." Martin Luther King, Jr.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2012, 2:28 pm

My username comes from here http://emu-memu.net/fluff/antifeminist-frills/ . I am a feminist :) Just one who likes frills, which some would consider anti-feminist. There is a little to read online if you're interested- try Googling 'anorexia autism'- unfortunately, not being a uni student I don't have access to most papers, but scienceofeds.org is an excellent resource for people interested in non-fluffy details about eating disorders.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 2:35 pm

antifeministfrills wrote:
My username comes from here http://emu-memu.net/fluff/antifeminist-frills/ . I am a feminist :) Just one who likes frills, which some would consider anti-feminist. There is a little to read online if you're interested- try Googling 'anorexia autism'- unfortunately, not being a uni student I don't have access to most papers, but scienceofeds.org is an excellent resource for people interested in non-fluffy details about eating disorders.

Ah I see, my apologies. I'm afraid I am very old and out of date and I had no idea that was 'a thing'!

Thank you, I shall certainly have a look at that the ED site, I am very keen on non-fluffy details.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2012, 2:53 pm

SilkySifaka wrote:

Ah I see, my apologies. I'm afraid I am very old and out of date and I had no idea that was 'a thing'!

Thank you, I shall certainly have a look at that the ED site, I am very keen on non-fluffy details.

What do you mean? :P Certain feminists looking down on other feminist who are feminine is nothing new.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 3:17 pm

What do you mean? :P Certain feminists looking down on other feminist who are feminine is nothing new.

Indeed, that is as old as the hills (well, the 80s). It was the 'frills' bit that confused me, but then I am very easily confused. I am of a similar view point - I consider myself a feminist, but I'm well aware that I'm not 'feminist' enough for some feminists.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 10:51 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage