Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2012, 12:48 am

What are they exactly?

I have Aspergers, but my doctor tells me Schizoid personality is commonly a misdiagnosis for Aspergers.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 7:54 pm

I had the exact conversation with my psychologist.

The doc put Schizoid personality would be having the social skills but never putting those to good use, are always socially withdrawn and simply don't bother with social contact, that's the extreme of things.

The disorder aspect of this is effectively similar functioning to Bi-polar disorder which experience both sides of the spectrum, being socially withdrawn for a period of time, then experiencing wanting social contact.

Asperger's is a collective of disorders but usually involve having difficulties with social contact, rather than wanting nor not wanting social contact.

This means the disorder can be co-morbid with Aspergers, could make an accurate diagnosis that much harder.

I actually went to the doc with the Schizoid Disorder in mind, but was umm... "clever enough" to spot the Aspergers through my conversational difficulties

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 12:25 am

i was first dx'ed as a child with schizotypal disorder [among other things] but later as an adult they added AS to the mix.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 7:19 am

Well SPD and ASD can look simmilar, but doesn't have to.
My autism also looks more a bit like StPD, but deffinitly not like SPD.

I don't want to be alone like ppl with SPD do, I'm just more a bit social phobic and so on.

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2012, 9:27 pm

Now I see! Sounds like they are similar but different in the sense of social interaction.

I can't say i'm a social butterfly, but I do enjoy good company. I don't avoid or fear social interactions, so i'm thinking my doctor was right on with his diagnosis of AS. Sometimes if i'm working on something I enjoy, i might turn down a get together.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 1:28 am

Roninninja wrote:
Now I see! Sounds like they are similar but different in the sense of social interaction.

Yes, how I understand it:

SPD: You might develop problems with social situations, because you want to stay alone.
ASD: You have social understanding problems and overloade, so that you are more likly a someone who stays alone and even might develop to like this.

KuRowbot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2012, 5:14 pm

I'm fairly certain I have SPD comorbid with my AS. (How common is that?)
This thread has been a bit helpful.
Thank you.