Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

UmmYeahOk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2012, 4:52 pm

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I was just curious on what the odds were. My husband and I are self diagnosed. I tested 152/65 and he got 125/80. If both parents have AS, is the odds of any child they produce having it 100%?

Cherry_Blossom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2012, 5:29 pm

It is high, but probably not 100%. If your child happened to get more NT genes from both of you, the child would be more NT.

Some people have AS traits without having AS. I have many, many family members who are like this.

The odds certainly are higher than they would be for a typical couple.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 5:30 pm

UmmYeahOk wrote:
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I was just curious on what the odds were. My husband and I are self diagnosed. I tested 152/65 and he got 125/80. If both parents have AS, is the odds of any child they produce having it 100%?

I think its way way lower than that. i'm not sure of a figures, but I dont think anyone is because the data is not yet good. its only been collected for a relatively short time and its not just for AS, its for all spectrum disorders collated.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 5:36 pm

If it concerns you enough to avoid having children, then I suggest you both get officially diagnosed. It would be a shame for you to avoid having children based on a self-diagnosis, that could be incorrect in at least one of you.

Jason

Cherry_Blossom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2012, 5:38 pm

Jtuk wrote:
If it concerns you enough to avoid having children, then I suggest you both get officially diagnosed. It would be a shame for you to avoid having children based on a self-diagnosis, that could be incorrect in at least one of you.

Jason

I hope it doesn't deter you from having children! You might just want to space them out more than others do because they require more work.

UmmYeahOk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2012, 5:50 pm

Cherry_Blossom wrote:
Jtuk wrote:

Jason

I hope it doesn't deter you from having children! You might just want to space them out more than others do because they require more work.

Don't worry. I'm actually due in 3 and a half weeks. Just was curious. I remember what growing up was like, and just wanted to be prepared in the off chance she ends up just like us.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 5:55 pm

UmmYeahOk wrote:

All I can tell you, is that I have AS, husband is NT and we have two children - both of whom have AS.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 6:19 pm

UmmYeahOk wrote:
Don't worry. I'm actually due in 3 and a half weeks. Just was curious. I remember what growing up was like, and just wanted to be prepared in the off chance she ends up just like us.

Whatever your life was growing up, I'm sure that *if* your daughter inherits some form of Autism it will have the benefit of understanding parents. I'm sure you'll know exactly how to improve things for her.

The odds of having both identical twins with Autism is listed as 60-90%. I'm sure that in your circumstances it would be under the 60% level. So about the same chance as having a boy. This is low enough that it's not a certainty, but a possibility.

Congratulations and Good Luck.

Jason.