Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 9:55 pm

Has anyone done any research or reading into the overlap in symptoms of AS and giftedness?

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 10:26 pm

Yes. And the tricky part regarding AS and giftedness has nothing to do with the AS, honestly. AS can occur in people with a vast range of IQs, so long as the IQ isn't, by definition, below 70. However, signs of giftedness in a child often mimic signs of AS, and it's a very common situation to see gifted children in this day and age being suspected of having AS or some other neuropsych disorder when, in reality, their emotional and cognitive quirks are just part and parcel of giftedness. And in those who truly are both gifted and have AS, the opposite often happens, and early "red flags" of AS are seen as intellectual brilliance and not a "problem." I happen to fall into this latter group, both for the reason I listed as well as how my AS and NVLD weren't even conditions known about during my childhood.

For good readings on the subject of AS vs. giftedness, I suggest reading articles on NVLD/learning disorder websites, as well as a website called something like Hoagie's Gifted Children. But in general, deciding where giftedness ends and neuropsychiatric disorder combined with giftedness begins is a very fine line. I'm a very big believer in the saying, "There's no great genius without some sort of madness."

Nash: Is there a difference?

SpectrumWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2012, 10:58 pm

Yes it is documented for AS to coincide with giftedness. It seems common but not guaranteed from what I've read.

I wouldn't be surprised if context plays a role as well. Neurotypical societies are very repressive and the likelihood of an AS being afforded the opportunity to discover any sort of giftedness is limited.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 11:04 pm

I am both

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2012, 4:11 pm

Of course, there is general consensus that Asperger's syndrome can co-occur with intellectual giftedness and research has shown that its presence in AS is not uncommon. Giftedness is primarily defined by possessing innately advanced cognitive and intellectual strengths that is beyond the normal mental (intellectual) age, but it can also refer to advanced artistry or creativity; that is, at a prodigious level. Surprisingly, ASD's tend to be predominantly overlooked in gifted children, even though there is a ludicrously deceptive media stereotype which implies that all people with Asperger's syndrome are by definition "intellectually gifted or geniuses."

Similarities have been interpreted in children with Asperger's syndrome compared with gifted children, for example, both may evidently demonstrate a fascination with letters or numbers and indulge memorizing factual information at an early childhood age. Both may also show an absorbing interest in a specialized topic and may obtain incremental amounts of factual information associated with it. Other corresponding aspects of AS/Giftedness include verbal eloquence or precocity, exceptional memory capacities (e.g. eidetic recall), hypersensitivity to sensory stimuli, and abnormal or little interaction with peers.

When a gifted/AS child is referred to an intellectual assessment with a clinical or educational psychologist, it is important to distinguish specified symptoms of giftedness from AS, otherwise, the gifted child with Asperger's Syndrome may not be ascertained because his or her eccentricities may often be incorrectly attributed to either their giftedness or to a specific learning disability or simply just resembling traits of an intellectually gifted child. Distinguishable aspects of AS/gifted children in comparison with gifted non-autistic children include the following: "Speech patterns, routine adherence, disturbance of attention, affective expression, motor clumsiness and stereotypies."