Aspergers put in slow category but not that slow then others

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

daydreamersworld
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Aug 2012, 5:17 am

Does this confuse anyone else. How like other mental problems like say scitzophrenia(sorry i cant spell that), social phobia, personality disorders, multiple personality disorder and other ones except for ASD are considered in the mental health section like it is not considered a brain problem. Whereas aspergers and adhd are considered developmentally delayed however it seems to me thay these people with aspergers and adhd dont seem they should be in that category quite cus then there is severe autism and downs syndrome & mentally challenged which is also considered developmentally delayed and nowadays like if you want to be in a program for people to get help in everyday challenges they could easily put you in with the mental health people such as the ones i mentioned above instead they dont and put you in with the developmentally delayed..Sorry but this confuses me because yes we are delayed in social areas but to always be defined as delayed and put with people that may need more help or have greater special needs where it seems as if they are somewhat mentally challenged. Does this bother anyone else or confuse you too? Because to me aspergers and adhd arent that much different from someone who may have mental health problems like social phobia except thats considered a mental health issue and we are the ones with the brain problems and therefore seems as if they put us in the category of the slower people. Its not wrong i dont think it just confuses me...and i probly am confusing you so i'll just stop typing now. :D

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 5:24 am

daydreamersworld wrote:
Does this confuse anyone else. How like other mental problems like say scitzophrenia(sorry i cant spell that), social phobia, personality disorders, multiple personality disorder and other ones except for ASD are considered in the mental health section like it is not considered a brain problem. Whereas aspergers and adhd are considered developmentally delayed ...

What are you talking about?

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Aug 2012, 5:36 am

daydreamersworld wrote:
Does this confuse anyone else. How like other mental problems like say scitzophrenia(sorry i cant spell that), social phobia, personality disorders, multiple personality disorder and other ones except for ASD are considered in the mental health section like it is not considered a brain problem. Whereas aspergers and adhd are considered developmentally delayed however it seems to me thay these people with aspergers and adhd dont seem they should be in that category quite cus then there is severe autism and downs syndrome & mentally challenged which is also considered developmentally delayed and nowadays like if you want to be in a program for people to get help in everyday challenges they could easily put you in with the mental health people such as the ones i mentioned above instead they dont and put you in with the developmentally delayed..Sorry but this confuses me because yes we are delayed in social areas but to always be defined as delayed and put with people that may need more help or have greater special needs where it seems as if they are somewhat mentally challenged. Does this bother anyone else or confuse you too? Because to me aspergers and adhd arent that much different from someone who may have mental health problems like social phobia except thats considered a mental health issue and we are the ones with the brain problems and therefore seems as if they put us in the category of the slower people. Its not wrong i dont think it just confuses me...and i probly am confusing you so i'll just stop typing now. :D

Look up the autistic spectrum.No, ADHD and aspergers is not as bad as down syndrome and ASD. I'm sorry, but thats all I could interpret. Do you have ADHD and aspergers, you seem to have trouble ordering your thoughts? Also, look up on autisms and different genetic mutations, if you're interested.

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2012, 5:50 am

Ok ill explain it in really simple terms
Mental illness such as schizophrenia, anxiety, depression usually manifest themselves anytime from teen years onwards. So people with these illnesses start out basically normal and then something happens such as a traumatic life event, or hormones screwing up their brain chemistry and they get mentally sick.

On the other hand developmental delays such as Autism are usually seen from birth or from a very young age. Individuals with developmental disability when compared to typically developing people - may develop some (not necessarily all) things at a different (usually slower) rate. Such as learning to talk may take longer or never develop at all, making friends, toilet training, walking, smiling, being independent in lots of different areas from feeding yourself to moving out of home.

Now to confuse things more high functioning autistics or aspergers also may develop some things at an accellerated rate than typical developing people - so they can be super smart in a few areas eg; Maths (cliched example) and lacking in others (eg; social relationships).

Any way the crux of it is that people with developmental disabilities are hard wired in the brain differently so they develop differently to what professionals consider "normal" or "typical development" its not necessarily a disability for all, for some people who are less affected or who have some areas they excel at it is merely a difference. Mental illness on the other hand may have more to do with brain chemistry (neurotransmitters) than brain hard wiring as such. Although the experiences people have in their lives will effect both the wiring and the chemistry in their brains throughout their lives (neuroplasticity).

I see that you dont like being labelled as "slow" and put in with the other slow people - remember its a spectrum from profoundly effected to high functioning.
Even "typical" people have a range of functioning from low to high - which depends on their intelligence, resourcefulness, outlook on life, attitude, emotional expression, activities they are involved in, social and family support, income, resiliance, determination etc etc.....

You are more than just your diagnosis.

daydreamersworld

21 Aug 2012, 7:33 am

TPE2 wrote:
daydreamersworld wrote:
Does this confuse anyone else. How like other mental problems like say scitzophrenia(sorry i cant spell that), social phobia, personality disorders, multiple personality disorder and other ones except for ASD are considered in the mental health section like it is not considered a brain problem. Whereas aspergers and adhd are considered developmentally delayed ...

What are you talking about?

LOL :lol: sorry nevermind i cant explain it good

daydreamersworld

21 Aug 2012, 7:35 am

Sharkgirl wrote:
Ok ill explain it in really simple terms
Mental illness such as schizophrenia, anxiety, depression usually manifest themselves anytime from teen years onwards. So people with these illnesses start out basically normal and then something happens such as a traumatic life event, or hormones screwing up their brain chemistry and they get mentally sick.

On the other hand developmental delays such as Autism are usually seen from birth or from a very young age. Individuals with developmental disability when compared to typically developing people - may develop some (not necessarily all) things at a different (usually slower) rate. Such as learning to talk may take longer or never develop at all, making friends, toilet training, walking, smiling, being independent in lots of different areas from feeding yourself to moving out of home.

Now to confuse things more high functioning autistics or aspergers also may develop some things at an accellerated rate than typical developing people - so they can be super smart in a few areas eg; Maths (cliched example) and lacking in others (eg; social relationships).

Any way the crux of it is that people with developmental disabilities are hard wired in the brain differently so they develop differently to what professionals consider "normal" or "typical development" its not necessarily a disability for all, for some people who are less affected or who have some areas they excel at it is merely a difference. Mental illness on the other hand may have more to do with brain chemistry (neurotransmitters) than brain hard wiring as such. Although the experiences people have in their lives will effect both the wiring and the chemistry in their brains throughout their lives (neuroplasticity).

I see that you dont like being labelled as "slow" and put in with the other slow people - remember its a spectrum from profoundly effected to high functioning.
Even "typical" people have a range of functioning from low to high - which depends on their intelligence, resourcefulness, outlook on life, attitude, emotional expression, activities they are involved in, social and family support, income, resiliance, determination etc etc.....

You are more than just your diagnosis.

I'm glad you get what i was trying to say lol.
I see that does make since. :) Thanks

daydreamersworld

21 Aug 2012, 7:36 am

NateRiver wrote:
daydreamersworld wrote:

Look up the autistic spectrum.No, ADHD and aspergers is not as bad as down syndrome and ASD. I'm sorry, but thats all I could interpret. Do you have ADHD and aspergers, you seem to have trouble ordering your thoughts? Also, look up on autisms and different genetic mutations, if you're interested.

Sorry about the confusion. Yes I have aspergers not adhd tho at times wondered if i have ADD.