zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2012, 4:58 pm

Kurgan wrote:
zxy8 wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
zxy8 wrote:
To best lose weight, eat less, and exercise more. It really is as simple as that. In fact, you don't even need to exercise to lose weight; just eat less and healthy. Simple. And I study this stuff, so I do know what I am talking about. I can go into more detail, but I can't be bothered at the moment.

If ONLY that was the case for everyone.

It is the case for everyone.

True.

If you have a slow metabolism, it doesn't mean that you've been selected as one of the many people who are to be obese for the rest of their lives; it means that biologically, you're supposed to eat LESS and that your body needs LESS calories to function..

I have a slow metabolism and gain fat very quickly when inactive, yet, I'm not fat and I gain muscle mass much faster than a regular man when working out. In April, I could barbell shoulder press 55 kgs; now I can do 105 kgs.

That's exactly what I mean :D People are just lazy and use things as an excuse.

Congrats on the increase :)

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 5:34 pm

zxy8 wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
zxy8 wrote:
To best lose weight, eat less, and exercise more. It really is as simple as that. In fact, you don't even need to exercise to lose weight; just eat less and healthy. Simple. And I study this stuff, so I do know what I am talking about. I can go into more detail, but I can't be bothered at the moment.

Repeating it doesn't make it true.

You can't eat less than nothing, and you can't exercise past the point of drop-to-the floor physical exhaustion,
yet that is nevertheless what many people are driven to do given the above advice, to no effect.

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 5:36 pm

Kurgan wrote:

If you have a slow metabolism, it doesn't mean that you've been selected as one of the many people who are to be obese for the rest of their lives; it means that biologically, you're supposed to eat LESS and that your body needs LESS calories to function..

Yes, and "less" for some people is a couple hundred calories less, for others what's required is a massive deficit every single day which isn't achievable short of malnutrition.
Kurgan wrote:
I have a slow metabolism and gain fat very quickly when inactive, yet, I'm not fat and I gain muscle mass much faster than a regular man when working out. In April, I could barbell shoulder press 55 kgs; now I can do 105 kgs.

Good for you. Not everyone is you.

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 5:38 pm

zxy8 wrote:

ROFL @ assigning character judgements to physiological makeups.
Worked when society did it to chronically-depressed people, I guess.

Oh, wait.

Who the hell needs an "excuse" take up a certain amount of space? How the f*ck is that anybody else's business? :?

to his Interest."

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 5:41 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Or spend even less money and just buy dried beans and soak them, less sodium that way, too. Dried beans go for a tad over $1 a pound now where I live, and one pound makes the equivalent of like 4-5 cans of beans. Just soak overnight, cook for a few hours, or cook in a crockpot and they'll be done by morning, possibly without soaking (I didn't try cooking on the high setting, so...) Beans and brown rice are favorites of mine, though, brown rice has lots of fiber like beans. I don't find beans a magical weight loss food, though, but they're better than lots of other things you can be eating.

I have done both. The cheapest way is soaking and cooking dry beans, however there are inconveniences. They need to be soaked for a while and I find cooking them a challenge because they puff up and crack in the middle from pressure or something while cooking. Beans from a can do not. All you do is open the can, rinse, and warm up in less than thirty minutes most of the time. Dry beans have a tougher texture too. I used to cook primarily dry because the canned beans have too much sodium and preservatives (my body responds negatively to preservatives) but I found rinsing the canned beans in cold water helps considerably.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 6:10 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Yes, and "less" for some people is a couple hundred calories less, for others what's required is a massive deficit every single day which isn't achievable short of malnutrition.

The difference between a moderate and a slow metabolism is 300 calories. Thermodynamics are thermodynamics.

Quote:
Good for you. Not everyone is you.

No, but every fat person can lose weight if he/she has my dicipline and determination.

Last edited by Kurgan on 28 Aug 2012, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 6:12 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Who the hell needs an "excuse" take up a certain amount of space? How the f*ck is that anybody else's business? :?

Noboy said it was anyone else's business, but this thread is about weight loss and not self-pity.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 8:00 pm

I'd rather be with a fat person than a toned one who looked down on others for their 'lack of self discipline'. Even if someone does lack self discipline there are worse character traits to have. This is from someone who has taken up working out as a new special interest.

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2012, 9:42 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
zxy8 wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
zxy8 wrote:

Repeating it doesn't make it true.

You can't eat less than nothing, and you can't exercise past the point of drop-to-the floor physical exhaustion,
yet that is nevertheless what many people are driven to do given the above advice, to no effect.

What I said is true. Eat healthy, less/minimal, and exercise, and people lose weight. It really is that easy.

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2012, 9:44 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
zxy8 wrote:

ROFL @ assigning character judgements to physiological makeups.
Worked when society did it to chronically-depressed people, I guess.

Oh, wait.

If people eat not much, and eat healthy, and exercise, they will lose weight. You don't even need to exercise to lose weight as long as the first 2 things occur. No matter how someone is physiologically made up, following the first 2 steps will work.

If it doesn't work, the person is lazy.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 9:42 pm

Eating healthfully-well I've never had fast food willingly.I think my uncle took my sister and I to Jack in the Box a few times as a child,but that was it.I remember being teased in college for not eating McDonald's. 8O I was like,are you people SERIOUS? You eat that CRUD ?! :x My parents didn't allow candy or soda or fast food,though we did have Tiger's Milk bars,which contain sugar and dairy.I think they were too exhausted to read the ingredients list,just like now,LOL.
I went through a vegan phase but now I eat organic eggs (can get 12 for $3 at my farmer's market!) and wild salmon daily.I'm allergic to nuts and gluten so really the only fat I get is from salmon,avocados,and olive and coconut oils.The trick with filling yourself up,healthfully,is consuming lots of fiber: fruits,vegetables,grains,beans,nuts.Think of biting into a fresh plum,isn't that more appetizing than chips,a candy bar,or toast? And it's berry season now too!
I overate earlier this year on macadamia and coconut,which ironically I am allergic to,and I think I put on about 30 pounds in a month.I actually had trouble running! I'd never been overweight so it was like W H O A.It took me about 5 months to lose the weight healthfully.I do yoga and run two miles every day,and lift weights three times a week.I eat lots of fresh produce,beans and legumes.I try to listen to my body..that's a work in progress,especially maintaining respect,balance,LOVE,and harmony.I overate today and one day earlier this week,have put on a few pounds,am bloated and really not feeling well.I need to eat salmon for dinner for my protein but I don't know how I can get it down;I've felt like throwing up since my huge binge on coconut flour pancakes... :( 8O :x