I have recently been dx with Asperger's
I was diagnosed (correctly) with schizophrenia age 18
I am curious about others who have both ASD and Schizophrenia/ Schizoaffective

Me and my family are all getting used to the idea

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 7:54 am

I hadn't realised that you could have both. It's something I'm particularly interested in as I have a sibling who was diagnosed with schizophrenia years ago. I am pending assessment for AS and both my children are too. I am really concerned that my sibling may have been misdiagnosed as obviously AS is genetic and I have read research that says people have been misdiagnosed with schizophrenia in the past when they should have been diagnosed with AS. I will be interested in the replies you get.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 8:39 am

i am surprised that schizophrenia can be concurrent with autism.

my understanding of schizophrenia is limited to the yield from my dispassionate research concerning the condition.

as i understand, schizophrenia is a cognitive disorder, and it is characterized by delusions and paranoia and de-personalization.

schizophrenic people are affected to varying degrees of severity (and also various periodicities of acute phases), but severe schizophrenia usually involves a permanent immersion into a belief system that is entirely delusory, and that belief system is sculpted by a paranoid mindset.

people in acute schizophrenic episodes will have no sense of "self ", and will feel like amorphous goo at the mercy of angry and hostile advances i guess.

i have a solid sense of self, and it is more robust than most NT's senses of their self i believe. many people i see lose emotional control because of very trivial reasons, but i do not rely on feedback or any communication to assure myself that i am ok.

if i can not see, then so be it. i will not climb a mountain that i may die on in order to see.
many schizophrenics do, and moreover they always climb an imaginary mountain, and those that make it to the top fall down hard if their brain starts working again.

i do not see how autism and schizophrenia can coexist

greentigress
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Aug 2012, 9:17 am

I hadn't realised that you could have both.

If you have an ASD and have psychosis you will always have a specific set of chromasomes malfunctioning
I was diagnosed for Aspergers by my psychiatrist who knows I have a life long severe ( although not the worst end of it) severe ish form of paranoid schizophrenia since late adolescence

It's something I'm particularly interested in as I have a sibling who was diagnosed with schizophrenia years ago. I am pending assessment for AS and both my children are too. I am really concerned that my sibling may have been misdiagnosed as obviously AS is genetic and I have read research that says people have been misdiagnosed with schizophrenia in the past when they should have been diagnosed with AS. I will be interested in the replies you get.

If you are concerned about your sibling get a re-diagnosis
Schizophrenia nowadays is very carefully diagnosed and as a rule will never be a misdiagnosis any more. They are highly reluctant to make such a serious diagnosis and only do if it is very clear.
I had a schizophrenic sister who was basically psychotic for 14 years before she was hit by a
Car. She and my youngest sister are both dyslexic my mother is dyslexic and my cousin is autistic.
The best advice is to listen to your sisters doctor if she should be on mates don't stop the medication
Schizophrenics are clearly a danger to themselves and others if they get psychotic which will happen without medication if you need that medication

I was in hospital for nine months after coming off my mates and being okay for the first six months of functioning pretty normally.

Best

Kate

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 9:31 am

greentigress wrote:
If you have an ASD and have psychosis you will always have a specific set of chromasomes malfunctioning

i am not in the possession of any knowledge pertinent to what you assert. even after looking for it.
it is important (i consider) not to sow seeds that grow into confused ideas and potentials for the decisions of anyone to actuate a deleterious course of action.

greentigress

26 Aug 2012, 9:39 am

as i understand, schizophrenia is a cognitive disorder, and it is characterized by delusions and paranoia and de-personalization.
Schizophrenia is Not always paranoid nor is it Constant year in year out psychosis although it was for my sister
There are a lot of misconceptions out there
A lot of junk science or old science
I have found some just now researching the issue
I'm sure it's everywhere, it's just dated - incorrect - sometimes both

schizophrenic people are affected to varying degrees of severity (and also various periodicities of acute phases), but severe schizophrenia usually involves a permanent immersion into a belief system that is entirely delusory, and that belief system is sculpted by a paranoid mindset.

people in acute schizophrenic episodes will have no sense of "self ", and will feel like amorphous goo at the mercy of angry and hostile advances i guess.

Please see my story if you like - couple of years before knowing I had Aspergers
Http://www.claresmartphotograpy.co.uk
I'm Katherine

i have a solid sense of self, and it is more robust than most NT's senses of their self i believe. many people i see lose emotional control because of very trivial reasons, but i do not rely on feedback or any communication to assure myself that i am

if i can not see, then so be it. i will not climb a mountain that i may die on in order to see.
many schizophrenics do, and moreover they always climb an imaginary mountain, and those that make it to the top fall down hard if their brain starts working again.

i do not see how autism and schizophrenia can coexist

They do

I am taking part in genetic research for schizophrenia and ASD
Google Felicity Larson Cambridge

greentigress

26 Aug 2012, 9:42 am

b9 wrote:
greentigress wrote:

i am not in the possession of any knowledge pertinent to what you assert. even after looking for it.
it is important (i consider) not to sow seeds that grow into confused ideas and potentials for the decisions of anyone to actuate a deleterious course of action.

Oh great!!
I love it!
A Naysayer
Google further

greentigress

26 Aug 2012, 9:43 am

b9 wrote:
greentigress wrote:

Oh great!!
I love it!
A Naysayer
Google further

I advocate medication for schizophrenia what bad seeds give me a break

greentigress

26 Aug 2012, 9:45 am

b9 wrote:
greentigress wrote:

Oh great!!
I love it!
A Naysayer
Google further

I advocate medication for schizophrenia what bad seeds give me a break

Ok
Hoping not too much arguing
I meant if you have both not either or

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 9:59 am

Sincerely autism/AS and schizophrenia are incongruent conditions and the diagnosis of one rules out the other. This is well established and with conclusive clear evidence. I guess I am perplexed as to why AS and schizophrenia would be even considered together; these are in fact opposite conditions. Diagnostic errors occur, which would be the case here. Sigh.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 10:01 am

greentigress wrote:
b9 wrote:
as i understand, schizophrenia is a cognitive disorder, and it is characterized delusions and paranoia and de-personalization..

greentigress wrote:
Schizophrenia is Not always paranoid nor is it Constant year in year out psychosis although it was for my sister
greentigress wrote:
tigress"]There are a lot of misconceptions out there
A lot of junk science or old science
I have found some just now researching the issue
I'm sure it's everywhere, it's just dated - incorrect - sometimes both
well that is sad but whateever.

b9 wrote:

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Aug 2012, 10:21 am

The negative symptoms of schizophrenia have parallels with autism. The positive symptoms of hallucinations, paranoia, delusions and lack of insight are what differentiate schizophrenia from autism. Attwood notes in his Guide to Asperger’s Syndrome that many people with AS may use adjustment strategies such as 'escape into imagination' which when extreme could be mistaken for schizophrenia. There are some similar features which means there is potential for misdiagnosis, but they are qualitatively different conditions.

greentigress

26 Aug 2012, 10:26 am

chiastic_slide wrote:
The negative symptoms of schizophrenia have parallels with autism. The positive symptoms of hallucinations, paranoia, delusions and lack of insight are what differentiate schizophrenia from autism. Attwood notes in his Guide to Asperger’s Syndrome that many people with AS may use adjustment strategies such as 'escape into imagination' which when extreme could be mistaken for schizophrenia. There are some similar features which means there is potential for misdiagnosis, but they are qualitatively different conditions.

Oh my god I can't believe what I'm reading
Getting back to you lot with some URL s
http://www.cambridge-autism.org.uk/node/98
http://aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_fami ... s_disorder

Overwhelming lot of useless rubbish on line
Going to look up more current research

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 10:35 am

Schizophrenia and autism have always been close relatives, and you just have to look at where the term "autism" came from and why Hans and Leo used it; it came from the "autism" in schizophrenia (Eugene), and Leo and Hans used the term to describe patients who had the negative symptoms of schizophrenia but not the positive (just the "autism" part in other words).

Two separate conditions, but they can easily be mistaken for one another.

greentigress

26 Aug 2012, 10:37 am

I think one of the main things I have to say is I know the symptoms(?) of aspergers and I know the symptoms of schizophrenia
They are clearly different disorders
I have both
My mum was dyslexic when everyone at school and her family thought she was just stupid

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 10:40 am

They have been trying to make a strong correlation between Autism and Schizophrenia for a long time. In fact, as many of you know, many Autists were misdiagnosed as Schizophrenic (in particularly in the past). And, as many have mentioned, both Autism and Schizophrenia can co-exist( probably not as frequently as clinicians believe in my opinion). Why ? Because there can be significant overlap in the symptomatology. Unfortunately, this can be found in quite a few of the co-morbids found in Autism.

*Just an opinion and should be taken as such.

TheSunAlsoRises

Last edited by TheSunAlsoRises on 26 Aug 2012, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.