Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 10:40 am

They have been trying to make a strong correlation between Autism and Schizophrenia for a long time. In fact, as many of you know, many Autists were misdiagnosed as Schizophrenic (in particularly in the past). And, as many have mentioned, both Autism and Schizophrenia can co-exist( probably not as frequently as clinicians believe in my opinion). Why ? Because there can be significant overlap in the symptomatology. Unfortunately, this can be found in quite a few of the co-morbids found in Autism.

*Just an opinion and should be taken as such.

TheSunAlsoRises

Last edited by TheSunAlsoRises on 26 Aug 2012, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Aug 2012, 10:44 am

greentigress wrote:
I think one of the main things I have to say is I know the symptoms(?) of aspergers and I know the symptoms of schizophrenia
They are clearly different disorders
I have both
My mum was dyslexic when everyone at school and her family thought she was just stupid

To clarify: I did not mean they couldn't co-exist, but that they are different disorders with some overlaps which can sometimes be confused by psychiatrists.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 10:57 am

These diagnoses are based upon non-Autistic pathology.

IF the brain is wired differently, is there not a possibility that Non-Autistic psychiatric and psychological disorders could present differently( or could simply be a natural part of an Autists, neurology)?

TheSunAlsoRises

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 11:01 am

LabPet wrote:
Sincerely autism/AS and schizophrenia are incongruent conditions and the diagnosis of one rules out the other. This is well established and with conclusive clear evidence. I guess I am perplexed as to why AS and schizophrenia would be even considered together; these are in fact opposite conditions. Diagnostic errors occur, which would be the case here. Sigh.

That's what I thought. Interested if any links to say otherwise.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 11:11 am

whirlingmind wrote:
LabPet wrote:
Sincerely autism/AS and schizophrenia are incongruent conditions and the diagnosis of one rules out the other. This is well established and with conclusive clear evidence. I guess I am perplexed as to why AS and schizophrenia would be even considered together; these are in fact opposite conditions. Diagnostic errors occur, which would be the case here. Sigh.

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1992-13243-001

TheSunAlsoRises

greentigress
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Aug 2012, 11:54 am

whirlingmind wrote:
LabPet wrote:

That's what I thought. Interested if any links to say otherwise.

http://aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_fami ... s_disorder

4th para

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 12:24 pm

Thanks greentigress and TheSunAlsoRises,

that's really interesting.

It amazes me how they diagnose both together in that case, being that there are common traits. I wonder how they decide which condition is responsible for which traits. It's also really interesting, that they say that autistics are no more likely to get schizophrenia than the general population, because I've read about both conditions possibly being caused by the same gene/set of genes. That makes it even more confusing, because of them being no more likely to suffer schizophrenia than anyone else.

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 12:32 pm

This thread is so interesting to me. I know a person who has so many symptoms of AS, but yet they are also very delusional and hallucinate. The thought of them having both has occurred to me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 1:16 pm

Only way you can have both is if you have always had autism in your childhood and then when you reached your teens or young adulthood, you start to hallucinate and show signs of schizophrenia. That is the only way you can have both. But the DSM does say you can't have both so I suppose that means we are immune to getting that mental illness or that schizophrenia cures us from autism if we get it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Last edited by League_Girl on 26 Aug 2012, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 1:34 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Only way you can have both is if you have always had autism in your childhood and then when you reached your teens or young adulthood, you start to hallucinate and show signs of schizophrenia. That is the only way you can have both. But the DSM does say you can't have both so I suppose that means we are immune to getting that mental illness or that schizophrenia cures us from autism of we get it.

The DSM has a bit of latitude. Let me put it to you this way, technically, certain conditions are not suppose to be diagnosed together so differential diagnoses are made. However, sometimes, on occasion, two or more conditions that are normally diagnosed separately....appear together.

There have been rare cases of Rett syndrome/Autism, Angelman Syndrome/Autism, etc. And, although technically it was considered a differential diagnosis; ADHD and Autism have been diagnosed together for years......to the point where it has evolved into a co-morbid.

* just an opinion and should be taken as such.

TheSunAlsoRises

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 1:52 pm

Isn't it convoluted! When you think about it, the diagnoses of conditions are just names made up by humans based on a set of conditions. Who is to say they've got it right, it could be that where they are diagnosing two co-morbid conditions it's really just a variation of one condition or actually an entirely separate (previously unnamed) condition from both the co-morbids.

greentigress

26 Aug 2012, 2:01 pm

It amazes me how they diagnose both together in that case, being that there are common traits.
Good points in your post
I have since read all over that schizophrenia does not occur with ASD
But on wiki a co occurring Schizoaffective is possible as a psychiatric condition ( in the Aspie section )
I remember that I have been told by the genetic researcher who came half way accross the country that I may have sz affective
This was my rediagnosis due to a worsening mood element in my time in hospital

MynameisAnna
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Aug 2012, 2:06 pm

I have both.
I was diagnosed with autism at age six.
I was diagnosed with schizophrenia at age seventeen.

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 2:26 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Only way you can have both is if you have always had autism in your childhood and then when you reached your teens or young adulthood, you start to hallucinate and show signs of schizophrenia.

That does match my observations of the person who I believe has both...it seems as though the autism symptoms always existed, than the onset of schizofrenia began in their young adult years. I would take it a step further and wonder if the delusions were forming in order to compensate for their inability to understand their social relationships, and they slowly formed into "explanations" for things that they could not make sense of on their own.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 2:36 pm

MynameisAnna wrote:
I have both.
I was diagnosed with autism at age six.
I was diagnosed with schizophrenia at age seventeen.

I makes me wonder then, whether it's not only a case of AS being misdiagnosed in some cases as schizophrenia, but possibly their understanding of schizophrenia could be wrong and it is possible to have it in childhood, just that they haven't recognised it yet* and have potentially (if this were true) also misdiagnosed schizophrenia as AS. That way your experience would also make sense.

*the reason for that could be because it has always been misdiagnosed as AS, and in those people it was always schizophrenia.

Just my speculation. I guess when science has evolved enough that they can categorically pinpoint the gene(s) responsible for both conditions, they can say for sure.

greentigress

26 Aug 2012, 3:40 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Only way you can have both is if you have always had autism in your childhood and then when you reached your teens or young adulthood, you start to hallucinate and show signs of schizophrenia.

This is how it was for me
Showed Symptoms of aspergers since infancy
Became paranoid( for starters) age 17 to19 diagnosed age 18 with paranoid sz
I was reclassified as Schizoaffective in A hospital where I was for 3 months at the end of 9 months psychotic
I have had enduring psychosis, mood elements, with a lifetime of being Aspie

Interesting to read that you cant have schizophrenia and aspergers co morbidly. that my current psychiatrist is more keen for me to take care of my mental health by stressing A dx of Asperger's would not interfere with a lifelong need to take meds against psychosis