Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Are you concerned about these developments in Pre-Natal Screening Tests for Autism?
Yes. 73%  73%  [ 37 ]
No. 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
Other, Please provide comment. 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 51

weeOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2012, 10:31 am

Here's the thing:

Scientists will keep researching until they locate genes for as many non-desirable/non-NT traits as they can. This research will be used according to whoever has the power/money to use it. Right now in the ASD world, groups like Autism Speaks have the most money. As we know, there are those in that the group who would like to rid the world of autism the way we rid the world of smallpox.

The only remedies may be through bio-ethics and voting. So, one of my wishes is for everyone to register to vote and then vote. Another wish is for professionals in the field of treatment to recognize how much we really don't know, so be careful with every aspect of working with ASDs, from therapy to meds--especially meds. Yet another wish of mine is that the NT world in the US get over itself and recognize that ASDs are an integral, important part of, no, key to its prosperity.

Bumper sticker: NTs: Get Over Yourself

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

aghogday wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
weeOne wrote:
If they can prescreen for autism, why is it so fricking hard to get a diagnosis as an adult? Our genetic makeup hasn't changed.

They cannot pre-screen for it yet, they haven't even isolated it to one variation that causes it....from what I've gathered recent information seems to indicate its likely its a combination of factors that cause autism not just one specific thing that can be altered or detected before birth. I am sure they can pre-screen for abnormalities but nothing that would for sure indicate the child is going to have Autism.

Then of course even if one does have autism, it is also true that the environment can play a role in their level of functioning and development so it would be impossible to tell if they'd have low functioning, high functioning or somewhere in the middle autism.

There is a prenatal test that provides low risk for autism to screen for it, but it does not provide definitive results.

precisely

chromanebula
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2017, 10:31 pm

Of course I'm concerned! There is so much dehumanization of people with autism (see: London McCabe is murdered and the news media chalk it up to "lack of services"), and so much dehumanization of the unborn, that a parent's finding an unborn child with autism--just like a parent finding out their unborn baby has Down syndrome--will usually be an abortion waiting to happen. :cry: Instead of this dehumanization, we need to build a culture in which everyone is wanted, disability or no disability. Isn't that kind of the whole point of the whole neurodiversity movement that we want respect for who we are? It isn't very respectful if we're not allowed to be born just because we have autism.

Last bumped by chromanebula on 02 Nov 2017, 10:31 pm.