Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Cfroi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2012, 7:21 am

I was thinking whether their is a set of formula to teach people how to interact with. people. It would be like a long default story with multiple scenarios. Main characters, time, place, etc , are set by codes such as : A B C. Which allows me to input daily interactions immediately to the formula, and calculate output immediately. The output means how to speak and in what expression.
Would such a formula exist? or i am just falling into my own world too much again now?

You are sort of neurotypical but shows signs of autism. You probably enjoy intellectual activities more than socializing or maybe you enjoy socializing, but you aren't genius at it. You could be autistic, but may not be.

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2012, 9:55 am

There are actually two highly detailed books that came immediately to my mind when you said that.

One is Erving Goffman's "Interaction Ritual". The other is "Forms of Talk" by the same author. The only problem is that Goffman writes in dense American English, and that can be difficult if English is not your first language.

Here's a sample:

[He's talking about awkward pauses in conversation and how to start a new topic, and then he says:] "We thus find that participants have recourse to a series of 'weak bridges"--transparent shifts in topic hedged with a comment which shows that the maker is alive to the duties of a proper interactant: 'reminds me of the time,' 'not to change the subject,' 'oh, by the way,' 'now that you mention it,' 'speaking of,' 'incidentally,' 'appropos of,' etc. These locutions provide little real subject-matter continuity between currently ending and proposed topic, merely deference to the need for it. (Less precarious bridges are found when one individual 'matches' another's story with one from his own repertoire.) - Forms of Talk

A lot of people on the spectrum have trouble with long silences. What do they mean? Should I say something else? Is the conversation over? So I think this is an enlightening passage. You could use this in the following manner:

IF X stops talking
AND is expecting me to say something
AND I'm out of things to say about the previous subject
THEN I will say "Oh, by the way..."
OR "Incidentally..."
THEN begin speaking about a new subject
UNTIL X stops looking at my face AND responds only with one-word answers
THEN say "I'll see you later"
END

You get my point. Sorry for the long reply.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2012, 9:27 pm

I added those two books to my Amazon wish list.